Why become a member? ×

NBD - G&L SB-1 (1991)

ped

10 hours ago, gareth said:

Worth £90 for a sub 7lb bass

Wise investment 

When browsing from the options list, it looked extremely good value compared to some of the decorative stuff. The quartersawn neck, the change of neck width and the empress were all cheaper than pearloid inlays or an ebony fretboard or a colour matched headstock. Once I had resisted frittering my money away on that kind of thing, these three options looked both sensible and cheap.

I still have daydreams of a Graphite Metallic Kiloton with pearloid pickguard and an inlaid ebony fretboard.... and daydreams are free 😊

2 minutes ago, Ricky Rioli said:

When browsing from the options list, it looked extremely good value compared to some of the decorative stuff. The quartersawn neck, the change of neck width and the empress were all cheaper than pearloid inlays or an ebony fretboard or a colour matched headstock. Once I had resisted frittering my money away on that kind of thing, these three options looked both sensible and cheap.

I still have daydreams of a Graphite Metallic Kiloton with pearloid pickguard and an inlaid ebony fretboard.... and daydreams are free 😊

Maple neck and headstock is the way to go. Blocks are nice in a 70s jazz but wouldn’t suit an SB1. IMO!

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

My dealer in Virginia tells me of encouraging noises coming out of the G&L, and hopes that my re-necked SB-1 will be on its way very soon. It would be lovely if I had it in time for the lockdown anniversary, but just knowing it hasn't disappeared into the pile of problems to be eternally ignored is very nice. 

When it reaches me, the factory Daddarios will have been replaced by a set of Rotosound RS66LD, which are what I believe I'm currently enjoying on my BB424

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Ricky Rioli said:

My dealer in Virginia tells me of encouraging noises coming out of the G&L, and hopes that my re-necked SB-1 will be on its way very soon. It would be lovely if I had it in time for the lockdown anniversary, but just knowing it hasn't disappeared into the pile of problems to be eternally ignored is very nice. 

When it reaches me, the factory Daddarios will have been replaced by a set of Rotosound RS66LD, which are what I believe I'm currently enjoying on my BB424

Great, I was wondering about this the other day. Looking forward to seeing it!

• Like 1

On 15/07/2020 at 23:31, bumnote said:

IMG_3853.JPG

This one now resides in Silverfoxnik Towers I'm pleased to say.. 

Loudest output of any bass I've had and has a really fab range of tones.. 

I've never particularly been a fan of the phrase 'cuts through the mix', preferring my basses to sit in the mix supporting the song as it were.. 

But if required, this bass with tone and vol pots fully open, literally light sabres through the mix! 😁

• Like 3

19 hours ago, silverfoxnik said:

This one now resides in Silverfoxnik Towers I'm pleased to say.. 

Loudest output of any bass I've had and has a really fab range of tones.. 

I've never particularly been a fan of the phrase 'cuts through the mix', preferring my basses to sit in the mix supporting the song as it were.. 

But if required, this bass with tone and vol pots fully open, literally light sabres through the mix! 😁

I wondered where that one ended up! Glad it found a good home. You’ve inspired me to dig out my SB1 today 👍🏼

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, bumnote said:

Im glad you are still enjoying it. For whatever reason I just didnd bond with it.

Yes, it's a funny old thing isn't it as to why we bond with some basses and not others? 

Answers on a postcard to... 😁

I'm still really enjoying this bass Nigel, but have yet to gig with it (for obvious reasons) .. Maybe my views will change after some gigs..

But in a recording environment, I've got to say, it's been great so far!

• 2 weeks later...
On 01/03/2021 at 07:55, ped said:

I wondered where that one ended up! Glad it found a good home. You’ve inspired me to dig out my SB1 today 👍🏼

I woke up to an email from Memo at G&L telling me that it's now on its way (again)

I'm guessing that a new neck will mean a new serial number, which is a shame because I really liked the original one: 2012012. Small things please etc etc

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

Because waiting six months for a purchase isn't long enough, my SB-1 has now been parked in Heathrow for a week. USPS say it's left their control, Parcelforce says it's yet to reach them. Presumably this means there's a queue at customs? And that, in 2021, would make perfect sense 😑 🤐

• Sad 2

1 hour ago, jezzaboy said:

There was a natural one in Bassdirect and I was on the fence about buying it. Got the ok from the good lady and .....it was gone to someone else.

You snooze, you loose.

Yeah I saw that one. There’s a lovely SB2 here in the classifieds though 

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, jezzaboy said:

There was a natural one in Bassdirect and I was on the fence about buying it. Got the ok from the good lady and .....it was gone to someone else.

You snooze, you loose.

That used to be mine - absolutely brilliant bass and amazing sound in a band situation, but fell victim to the start of me rationalizing my bass collection. Hope it's gone to an appreciative new owner! 

1 hour ago, Mokl said:

That used to be mine - absolutely brilliant bass and amazing sound in a band situation, but fell victim to the start of me rationalizing my bass collection. Hope it's gone to an appreciative new owner! 

You not helping ya know! :D

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...
13 hours ago, Ricky Rioli said:

@ped My consolation is that at least being stuck in customs means that it's stuck in a very safe place.......right?

Yeah I hope so. Better than being stuck in a van or something. 

It’ll all be worth it, you got this

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

6 hours ago, ped said:

Ah Christ... 

The seller in USA, who has been sending other things all over the world, says that this is still within current expectations, and not to fret. He  says the only country he's not had delays and packages disappearing from tracking for weeks is Japan. So back to my Zen like calm, Ommmmmmmmmmmmmm.

• Like 2