Why become a member? ×

NBD - G&L SB-1 (1991)

ped

Just now, 3below said:

Great looking bass, who stole one of your E string polepieces? :)

That’s just a bit of tape to stop me touching them. Was going to use clear nail polish but didn’t get round to it yet 👍🏼

6 minutes ago, ped said:

That’s just a bit of tape to stop me touching them. Was going to use clear nail polish but didn’t get round to it yet 👍🏼

:) I put a small amount of wax on the threads on mine and every so often check they have not seized (my polepieces that is).  As you note  changing the volume has a significant effect on the tone (same on my L1505 as well).  What height have you got the MFD from the strings?

Edited by 3below
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, 3below said:

:) I put a small amount of wax on the threads on mine and every so often check they have not seized (my polepieces that is).  As you note  changing the volume has a significant effect on the tone (same on my L1505 as well).  What height have you got the MFD from the strings?

Not sure exactly, I never measure anything (except knobs!) but the response is really even. Great sounding pickup.

2 minutes ago, la bam said:

I've given the precision flats a few days now, and they have quickly grown on me. Now developing much more character. They're also super smooth to play.

Great, can you record anything for us to listen to? 

On 09/04/2019 at 18:04, ped said:

As promised - please find enclosed a little tune especially for you Cameron! Hah

Should probably add that I was making this up as I went along and that it's got loads of mistakes etc but once I get going I keep adding layers, I just can't help myself

Bass is full vol, tone at 75%

Second track is bass with pick and auto wah

Third is bass at full tone with Muff Fuzz and shitloads of bayzzz

Oh my god that sounds SICK!!

Congratulations Ped, what a score. 👌

3 hours ago, miles'tone said:

Thanks mate yes I really enjoy playing this bass. Backing off the volume control gives a more vintage flavour I’ll try and record that too at some point. 

• Thanks 1

55 minutes ago, ped said:

Thanks mate yes I really enjoy playing this bass. Backing off the volume control gives a more vintage flavour I’ll try and record that too at some point. 

The old 80% up on the volume for the vintage flavour trick... 

I think you're going to enjoy trying my L1000 at the midlands bass bash as a comparison. Back off to about 80% on volume bass and treble and you're in P bass territory with it.
(It's got an old set of DR Fatbeams on at the moment, not flats though.)

• 2 months later...

This bass just inspires me to pick it up and play. Since getting it I’ve played it almost every day ‘for ten minutes’ - next thing I know my wife is tapping me on the shoulder saying she’s going to bed! It sounds sooooo good. I haven’t even missed my Ken Smith much yet - I’m still planning on replacing that with a four string but this bass is just so much fun I’m wondering what’s the rush? 

Leo might have got it all wrong with Fender but he nailed it at last 😂

67199A3F-7907-4366-A259-52BA669FBFAF.jpeg

• Like 2

On 23/04/2019 at 23:28, LukeFRC said:

The old 80% up on the volume for the vintage flavour trick... 

I think you're going to enjoy trying my L1000 at the midlands bass bash as a comparison. Back off to about 80% on volume bass and treble and you're in P bass territory with it.
(It's got an old set of DR Fatbeams on at the moment, not flats though.)

I missed this reply - shame I couldn’t make that bash but you’ve got me looking at those! 

7 minutes ago, ped said:

I missed this reply - shame I couldn’t make that bash but you’ve got me looking at those! 

Well it’s got chromes on now, and we live less than 30 miles from each other so if you want to compare or even borrow sometime for a wee bit ... 

• Thanks 1

And in strange 'coincidence' as this thread re-lives I took my SB1 out to band tonight (I forgot my Gibbo SG bass and picked the SB1 up from the bass stash... don't ask, it involves ex-wife etc..).  TI flats and it was the business, just need to back the volume off a bit otherwise it gets a bit 'burpy' overdriving my amp.  Am now faced with a difficult choice for the Friday beer festival gig, SG bass vs G&L.  Hard times....

• Like 1

Love G&L !

I've just finished restoring a SB2 tribute that was in rough condition.

My word, they dont half put a lot of paint and lacquer on these! Previous owner struggled removed it.

I've left it without lacquer so I can take it apart in the future, sand it completely flat and re paint.

Anywhi, heres an idea of how it looks. Cant wait to try it out....

20190617_112910.jpg

20190617_115418.jpg

20190617_214555.jpg

20190628_162006.jpg

• Like 3

On 10/07/2019 at 20:44, la bam said:

Love G&L !

I've just finished restoring a SB2 tribute that was in rough condition.

My word, they dont half put a lot of paint and lacquer on these! Previous owner struggled removed it.

Interesting, that must be solid colours with the white filler/undercoat stuff.  My sunburst finish is quite thin, has chips and dings in it (mostly not mine, but some I am guilty of).  Back has patch 10cm x 5cm approx that started with buckle rash from previous owner.  I am told relic'ed is fashionable :)

On 23/04/2019 at 18:32, miles'tone said:

Well, after hearing your sound clips Ped, an SB-1 has never been far from my mind. I have done a lot of window shopping for one but alas, finances are too tight just now. 

However, a recent purchase of a cheap yet surprisingly very decent SX P bass has led to me ordering a SB-1 pickup direct from G&l. A bit pricey with shipping and what-not but to hell with it, got to try one! 

I have a KiOgan loom and a set of TI flats already here in my bits drawer (off a previous bitsa) waiting for them to arrive. 

Interested to see how the DIY version turns out! 🤘

Hopefully I'll sleep better now 😄

Edited by miles'tone

13 minutes ago, miles'tone said:

Well, after hearing your sound clips Ped, an SB-1 has never been far from my mind. I have done a lot of window shopping for one but alas, finances are too tight just now. 

However, a recent purchase of a cheap yet surprisingly very decent SX P bass has led to me ordering a SB-1 pickup direct from G&l. A bit pricey with shipping and what-not but to hell with it, got to try one! 

I have a KiOgan loom and a set of TI flats already here in my bits drawer (off a previous bitsa) waiting for them to arrive. 

Interested to see how the DIY version turns out! 🤘

Hopefully I'll sleep better now 😄

Excellent!! It’ll be interesting to hear how it sounds. I’ve got an old set of Cobalt flats you can have to try if you like, they’re a bit rusty but sound fine! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1