Why become a member? ×

NBD - G&L SB-1 (1991)

ped

2 hours ago, ped said:

As promised - please find enclosed a little tune especially for you Cameron! Hah

Should probably add that I was making this up as I went along and that it's got loads of mistakes etc but once I get going I keep adding layers, I just can't help myself

Bass is full vol, tone at 75%

Second track is bass with pick and auto wah

Third is bass at full tone with Muff Fuzz and shitloads of bayzzz

Ooh yes. That’s how a bass should sound!

• Like 1

Got the bass back yesterday from a tech in York who sorted the grounding issue - in fact it was more of a shielding problem. Three layers of conductive paint, foil backing on the 'plate, new grounding for the bridge and pots and it's whisper quiet now.

24 minutes ago, la bam said:

G&L fan here! I've got a LB100 coming today. Cant wait!  That SB looks and sounds great!

Pics or it didn't happen! I presume this is Andertons working their magic. I can recommend D'addario Chromes if you're interested in the flats route- delighted with them on mine.

Harry 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, scalpy said:

Pics or it didn't happen! I presume this is Andertons working their magic. I can recommend D'addario Chromes if you're interested in the flats route- delighted with them on mine.

Harry 

No, it was dv247. Andertons are order only. 

I ordered froms dv247 yesterday and it due any minute. Cant beat that. And it was cheaper.

I ordered some ghs precision flats with it, as per the bass whisperer video, and got another £15 off.

All in all £500 delivered.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, la bam said:

I ordered froms dv247 yesterday and it due any minute. Cant beat that. And it was cheaper.

I ordered some ghs precision flats with it, as per the bass whisperer video, and got another £15 off.

Looking forward to pics!!

4 minutes ago, la bam said:

Deal! That bass whisperer video has got a lot to answer for, most of the views must be me lusting over the particularly nice orange example he had. Mine's Ruby Red Metallic with masked binding.

8 hours ago, scalpy said:

Harry 

I'm gonna go the chromes route I think. The bass sounded great with the stock roundwounds on. I've put the ghs precision flats on, and although it sounds like the bass whisper video, in a mix it sounds quite dull. It needs that zing back. 

Still to play it through the amp yet (just played it through helix and headphones), but if it's still dullish (especially in the low end) then chromes it is!

Edited by la bam
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, la bam said:

I'm gonna go the chromes route I think. The bass sounded great with the stock roundwounds on. I've put the ghs precision flats on, and although it sounds like the bass whisper video, in a mix it sounds quite dull. It needs that zing back. 

Still to play it through the amp yet (just played it through helix and headphones), but if it's still dullish (especially in the low end) then chromes it is!

Forgive me for being a bit slow... but isn;'t that the point of flats?

Just now, la bam said:

Not really. Though o can see the point.

Theres no real warmth or growl yet, just flatness (i see the irony!). They might sound great in a while, I might be judging them too early.

if you end up wanting to sell some secondhand GHS flats I'll try them on my L1000...

I’m finding the Cobalt flats excellent; plenty of bite when you want it but really controllable with the tone knob. They also have a really thick ‘pop’ sound. Like the feel of them too, not too ‘glassy’ like some I have tried. 

Fitted the ‘radio’ knobs. I like ‘em - much easier to see where the controls are at, and I do tend to use the tone knob a lot - even the volume given how the pickup character changes through its travel. 

5C8B0C0F-E494-4429-B1F1-687047B42E52.jpeg

• Like 2

2 hours ago, ped said:

Fitted the ‘radio’ knobs. I like ‘em - much easier to see where the controls are at, and I do tend to use the tone knob a lot - even the volume given how the pickup character changes through its travel. 

5C8B0C0F-E494-4429-B1F1-687047B42E52.jpeg

Great looking bass, who stole one of your E string polepieces? :)