Why become a member? ×

NBD - G&L SB-1 (1991)

ped

2 hours ago, LukeFRC said:

Did not know that. It’s a great bass (similar finish wear too). 

You taking yours to the midlands bass bash? Tempted to go and would be interesting to compare

What is the Midland bass bash?? I live abroad these days, but are from the Midlands. Bass bash and Sunday dinner with me mum sounds like a plan..

7 hours ago, gareth said:

Here are my knobs

image.jpeg

Thanks, can you measure the diameter for me? I think they taper slightly towards the top so measure across the widest part if you please 😛

7 hours ago, gareth said:

Here are my knobs

image.jpeg

Gareth - you have a constantly surprising selection of amazing looking basses. Honestly everyone has their own taste and people like what they like but I'm amazed that you've never once shown a photo of something that I haven't gone "crikey that's nice, I'ld like that".

@ped - initially found your post on Talkbass and was interested in your search for flats. Tempted to stick flats on the L1000 which will be the first time I've tried flats. Pricey thing to try lots of things though. TI flats seem to be well regarded. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, LukeFRC said:

Gareth - you have a constantly surprising selection of amazing looking basses. Honestly everyone has their own taste and people like what they like but I'm amazed that you've never once shown a photo of something that I haven't gone "crikey that's nice, I'ld like that".

@ped - initially found your post on Talkbass and was interested in your search for flats. Tempted to stick flats on the L1000 which will be the first time I've tried flats. Pricey thing to try lots of things though. TI flats seem to be well regarded. 

I'm enjoying the Cobalts - although I wanted low tension,  I think what makes the biggest difference to me is actually the gauge of the string, and I didn't know you could get flats in 0.040 so they feel great to me. They make my fingers smell cobalty too which is a sort of bonus, makes me feel like T1000

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, ped said:

Thanks, can you measure the diameter for me? I think they taper slightly towards the top so measure across the widest part if you please 😛

Hello Ped

Using a dressmakers tape measure the circumference at the widest point (being the bottom of the tapered knob) it measures 7 cm.

Hope this helps you

Gareth

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, LukeFRC said:

Thanks Luke.

I just like Leo things and tend to prefer older models.

So Fender, Musicman (including early EB) and G&L.

35 minutes ago, gareth said:

Thanks Luke.

I just like Leo things and tend to prefer older models.

So Fender, Musicman (including early EB) and G&L.

There’s a fella near me who has the most amazing preEB stingray in root beer colour. I’ve not played a more ‘alive’ bass - he wants more for it than I can justify but if I won the lottery that I don’t enter.... that and an El toro 

• Thanks 1

Here she is with her sister. It just occurred to me that I'm basically Freddie Washington now (he plays a Smith and P bass). Need a new passport soon anyway so it'll basically be easier.

HFYpNjWhRIeu%mSnjmSRmw_thumb_225e.jpg

• Like 3

27 minutes ago, jbu09 said:

Any consensus on older Vs newer SB-1s..? similar tone, feel etc??

Don't know to be honest - there doesn't seem to be any consensus but it appears neck profiles changed as have the hardware components - I think the earlier models with the crackle finished anodised parts look the best personally... there's a thread on TB about the changes during which years but its's not very clear. I think the main differences are things like no longer tilt neck, plastic pick guard, different headstock, rosewood fingerboards... not an expert but we all know Leo liked to change things now and then. There certainly doesn't;t seem to be a 'pre CBS' equivalent cut off point or anything like that, though.

On 06/04/2019 at 12:52, gareth said:

Hello Ped

Using a dressmakers tape measure the circumference at the widest point (being the bottom of the tapered knob) it measures 7 cm.

Hope this helps you

Gareth

Yes thanks Gareth I'll measure my knob this evening 

On 03/04/2019 at 22:46, CameronJ said:

@ped I feel a little sound demo is in order!

As promised - please find enclosed a little tune especially for you Cameron! Hah

Should probably add that I was making this up as I went along and that it's got loads of mistakes etc but once I get going I keep adding layers, I just can't help myself

Bass is full vol, tone at 75%

Second track is bass with pick and auto wah

Third is bass at full tone with Muff Fuzz and shitloads of bayzzz

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2