Why become a member? ×

NBD - G&L SB-1 (1991)

ped

On 27/03/2019 at 18:40, ped said:

Yes they changed to the metal ones at some point, not sure when. I do have some of the old style ones though which I’ll probably put on. 

Glad you’re getting on with yours! 

Fabulous basses. I had one that was a lot more roadworn than yours, (think Rory Gallagher), but sounded awesome. The mention of knobs has reminded me. @ped did you post a link to a site that had an awesome range of control knobs some time ago? I remember it and have been searching for the post.

5 minutes ago, BassBunny said:

Fabulous basses. I had one that was a lot more roadworn than yours, (think Rory Gallagher), but sounded awesome. The mention of knobs has reminded me. @ped did you post a link to a site that had an awesome range of control knobs some time ago? I remember it and have been searching for the post.

Yes it could have been this page?

https://www.digikey.com/products/en/hardware-fasteners-accessories/knobs/568

I had a hard time tracking down the older style G&L ones and I'm still not 100% sure they're the right size (anyone able to measure the diameter of theirs?) but I think I'll leave the chrome (original) knobs on this as they're nicely worn like the rest of the bass... the new ones stand out too much!

• Like 1

9 hours ago, ped said:

I had a hard time tracking down the older style G&L ones and I'm still not 100% sure they're the right size (anyone able to measure the diameter of theirs?) but I think I'll leave the chrome (original) knobs on this as they're nicely worn like the rest of the bass... the new ones stand out too much!

Yep, that looks like it. Cheers.

• Like 1

Took some snaps this morning. You can see it's a real 'players' bass! I've got it set up just right now and have been really enjoying playing it. I'll record something soon!

The neck is a really nice golden colour and it feels excellent. In terms of the grounding issue, tbh I'm not sure it's not just shielding that could be added; my lamp adds some noise and with that off it's OK - also the patch I was using on my VB99 was basically the one I use with my Smith (which is pretty much clean) so this morning I made a dedicated patch for the SB1 and after tweaking the limiter and amp settings for this bass it's fine. I may still get some shielding added at some point but with a bit of noise limiter on that patch you can only now hear it on long sustained notes and definitely not in a mix.

Really pleased with it :)

EPSN2675.jpg
EPSN2676.jpg
EPSN2677.jpg
EPSN2678.jpg
EPSN2679.jpg
EPSN2683.jpg
EPSN2682.jpg

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

On 03/04/2019 at 23:38, ped said:

You want the size of the original original ones? Can get that for you this eve if you want

Just now, LukeFRC said:

You want the size of the original original ones? Can get that for you this eve if you want

Yeah ok please - just out of interest. The ones I have are either 17.9mm (look small) or 22mm (look big!)

Thanks

On 03/04/2019 at 22:24, ped said:

Yeah I think at some point the SB1 got the thinner SB2 neck or something? Either way it has a lovely profile and a deep golden gloss finish. I really appreciate the micro tilt facility on bolt on necks, too. Enables perfect adjustment. 

Rather liking the cobalt flats, too. Can be tamed nicely with the tone and vol knobs, they feel great (low tension - I went for the lightest) and very full sound. I haven’t used TI flats for a while but I’m sure I prefer these.

Told you :)

Nice bass!

• Like 1

Just now, HazBeen said:

Told you :)

Nice bass!

Yeah thanks buddy I think given the choice I’d go for the thinner gauge over lighter tension anyhow, I basically can’t deal with a G string bigger than 0.040. Thanks for the heads up. 

BTW I didn’t cut the strings as per instructions and followed EB’s recommended wrap technique and still found them almost too long to wrap around neatly. 

52 minutes ago, ped said:

Yeah ok please - just out of interest. The ones I have are either 17.9mm (look small) or 22mm (look big!)

Thanks

Original G&L (not original SB-1 as they could be different ?) but I’m getting 21-22mm diameter on my 82 L1000

DCC8F6D5-45C2-4DA1-8259-E7F4E79B0BC3.jpeg

D2CC3106-C01D-4E4F-849D-95F37663F98D.jpeg

1 hour ago, LukeFRC said:

Original G&L (not original SB-1 as they could be different ?) but I’m getting 21-22mm diameter on my 82 L1000

DCC8F6D5-45C2-4DA1-8259-E7F4E79B0BC3.jpeg

D2CC3106-C01D-4E4F-849D-95F37663F98D.jpeg

Thanks mate yes those are similar but the SB1 ones have a black edge. Maybe they're 22mm too, then - in which case I've got the right ones. I'll probably keep the original worn out ones on it though I think.

BTW whilst searching for the SB1 knobs I found that those ones on your bass are apparently REALLY sought after and hard to find! Take care of them!

• Like 1

Just now, JohnDaBass said:

That's a really lovely bass. 

Oh my! I want one!

Oh dear I think need to change my underwear! 🤐

Looks like you've blown your bass budget on new undies and possibly carpet! Sorry!

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, ped said:

Thanks mate yes those are similar but the SB1 ones have a black edge. Maybe they're 22mm too, then - in which case I've got the right ones. I'll probably keep the original worn out ones on it though I think.

BTW whilst searching for the SB1 knobs I found that those ones on your bass are apparently REALLY sought after and hard to find! Take care of them!

Did not know that. It’s a great bass (similar finish wear too). 

You taking yours to the midlands bass bash? Tempted to go and would be interesting to compare

2 minutes ago, LukeFRC said:

Did not know that. It’s a great bass (similar finish wear too). 

You taking yours to the midlands bass bash? Tempted to go and would be interesting to compare

I'm not sure if I can make that yet - but I will if I can. Yes I'd like to see your bass!

1 hour ago, gareth said:

These are radio knobs and were used on early GLs 

Theres a direct link via Leo to pre eb rays, the earliest of which also had radio knobs

Very nice bass Ped, well done!

Yeah that’s a pic of the ones I got. 22mm diameter so interested to hear how big yours are?