Why become a member? ×

NBD - G&L SB-1 (1991)

ped

I’ve been after a nice SB1 for a while but couldn’t find any UK ones in my price range and I prefer the older models which narrowed down the search somewhat. Anyway I’ve just bought what looks like a nice one but it’s coming from the states so who knows when/if it’ll arrive... 

OK it’s a bit knackered but should clean up nicely. It’s all original (1991) and supposedly nicely set up but we’ll see. 

Strung with flats it should be the perfect opposite to my Smith. I used to use TI flats as I liked the low tension. Is there anything else worth trying?

I’ll let you know when it’s here anyway!

Edit - it's here!!

ped

2D1FA39A-7260-42AC-8D8E-132ECCF8A6AB.jpeg

3275DCF4-4734-4D48-9A27-7B744F8CBA34.jpeg

• Like 13

Cool, might give ‘em a go, thanks. Do they fall off a cliff sound wise after a while or are they the sort of flats that get better with age? Always feel like hex cores are the former but no direct experience of them

1 minute ago, ped said:

Cool, might give ‘em a go, thanks. Do they fall off a cliff sound wise after a while or are they the sort of flats that get better with age? Always feel like hex cores are the former but no direct experience of them

I keep them on for ages.... they are quite bright (for flats) to start with, so you roll off the tone and open it with ageing. 

Hm so the bass arrived in the UK on the 20th but since then it’s disappeared from Patcelfarce’s tracking. Jolly good. I wasn’t expecting it to be here any time soon/ever so I live in hope. Not surprised in the slightest. 

nice Ped. Just changed mine from flats [guessing rotos] to dadario rounds to see what its like. I have one P on rounds, two on jazz flats and one on trubass. Love em all.

are they period correct knobs? The ones on mine look like they came off a radio

Edited by bumnote
  • Like 1

If you like Ti's , but would like just a little more tension then you should really check out the new Labella Low Tension Flexible flats.

They're somewhere in between TI flats and a normal set of d'addario roundwounds when it comes to tension and they sound very, very good! Can't recommend them enough! ;) 

27 minutes ago, CameronJ said:

Love the SB body shape. Such great curvature. Re: strings, TI Flats are slightly lower tension than Dunlop Flats, if that’s of any use to anyone.

@ped try some Nylon Tapes?

Yes it's nice and slim - a good evolution of the original design if you ask me!

• Like 1

I did try nylon tapes a while back but found them a bit too extreme in terms of old school. Really liked TI flats but I reckon the cobalts should be fun. They’re just sitting in the office looking at me asking where their home will be :( 

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

Alright dudes I picked up the bass this afternoon and have spent the evening cleaning and setting it up. 

Its come out properly nice - nicely played in but not abused. The neck is lovely, a really nice piece of maple and straight as an arrow. Haven’t had to touch the truss rod. 

Strung her up and used the micro tilt to raise the heel a little to give me more to play with in the bridge saddles. Now the action is super low with no choking. Great! 

Will post pics tomorrow - only one issue; there’s a grounding problem. It hums unless I touch a control knob. Goes nuts if I touch the pole pieces and touching the strings doesn’t ground it. I checked the wires and all seem ok; bridge ground is attached (or feels it, anyway) and all ok near the jack. Have defeated the him with my noise gate mostly but will probably take it to the tech in York to sort as it should be pretty quiet. 

The pickup is excellent, lots of sounds on tap but it has that kind or growly chocolatey gravel honk that I was after  

Cheers

• Like 2

1 minute ago, jbu09 said:

Those pups get a lot of love.. what's the nut width on it. Been Gasin' for an SB 1 for ages. Nice buy

Cheers bro yes the MFDs are great pickups. Nut width is about 42mm

28 minutes ago, ped said:

Cheers bro yes the MFDs are great pickups. Nut width is about 42mm

Nice, I thought those early ones had a wide nut, tell you what though, the play wear shows it has been played a lot... always a good sign. Nice buy

Yeah I think at some point the SB1 got the thinner SB2 neck or something? Either way it has a lovely profile and a deep golden gloss finish. I really appreciate the micro tilt facility on bolt on necks, too. Enables perfect adjustment. 

Rather liking the cobalt flats, too. Can be tamed nicely with the tone and vol knobs, they feel great (low tension - I went for the lightest) and very full sound. I haven’t used TI flats for a while but I’m sure I prefer these.