Why become a member? ×

NBD (belated). Super Light!

fretmeister

On Friday I took delivery of a shiny new Sandberg California II SL Super Light from the good people of Bass Direct.

When the box arrived I thought it was empty. Then I was even more convinced the gig bag was empty when I got it out of the box!

Its astonishingly light. I weighed it myself at 6.58lb

Plugged it into my Helix and studio monitors and had a minor issue with noise... turned out my wireless bug unit was clashing a bit with the preamp. No probs, just out a cable in between the bug and the bass.

Sounds very punchy and clear. Piano tone on steroids. As usual I binned the horrible stock Sandberg strings and found a pack of D’addario Nickels I had lying about. 

It was comfy enough to want to want to rehearse with it on Saturday. But of a head twister as I’ve been giggling 5 strings for a decade.

At rehearsal I used a Darkglass M900 and barefaced One10. Its a big band with about 20 horns and woodwind, piano, drums, bass etc.

My amp settings needed a bit of a rethink as I usually play a 5 string PJ with flats. Used an Octave on a couple of sections as I didn’t have that B string anymore.

But when sorted it was thick, clear, and with a touch of grit from the B3K circuit in the amp. Sounded massive. Did big band arrangements of Superstition, Uptown Funk, 7 Nation Army, Havana, Don’t Worry about a thing, In the mood, and Zoot Suit Riot.

Its a superb bass and I’m really happy with it. I’m now thinking I need another one for flats!

Easter concert is in 2 weeks and I’m really looking forward to it.

Anyway, here is it!

D3B8C2A8-0348-4C9B-9364-85E9B62126A0.jpeg

F79A2605-013E-4148-9E95-E8464DE12EB9.jpeg

• Like 9

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...