Why become a member? ×

Dream bass

neilray

Anybody on here play Mayones .? Bought one a few weeks ago and used it on a couple of gigs and just can’t make my mind up . It’s a beauty and plays nicely but it’s also the only bass I’ve used where I’ve had to use extensive eq on my Mesa D800 to get any cut . Maybe mine has a problem with the pre amp . It has tons of bass and mid boost on tap but the treble control has a minimal effect overall . It’s a Slogan 4 if that helps . I run it through the Mess Subway D800 and two DB Embee 12 cabs . Thanks people

welcome ! I have a be4 fretless, a few here have Mayones. Is it Bartolinis? Can't advise but don't sound right. One thing - I have found the guys at Mayones extremely helpful - I'd go straight to them - contact email on thier web, they got back to me within the day (I was just tracing serial no record on mine). From the spec and woods it should cut like a knife.

9 hours ago, SpondonBassed said:

Welcome Neil.

Completely agree with you and it’s a strange one . I have emailed them but it was today - after last nights gig . I compared it to my passive Lakland DJ4 , the Lakland nearly sliced my head off with the same amp settings . I’ve always found that I can pretty much leave the eq on the Mesa pretty much flat and it’s nicely balanced . I’ll post when I get a reply from Mayones . Thanks!

Hey Neil, 

Welcome to BassChat. Where did you buy it from? From what I've read sounds like an electrical/EQ issue which wouldn't be too much to sort but if purchased from a store, take it back or arrange something with Mayones ✌🏻

....I assume you have tried new batteries? 😅

hello there

it came from bass direct . Nice chaps . I’m awaiting a reply from Mayones .yeah tried the batteries and changed them but no luck unfortunately. No gigs this week so would have time to go to bass direct ( 220 mile round trip ) but hoping Mayones can give me an idea 

chuffed with the support and help you get on this site btw . Thanks

• Like 1

Thank you for that josie . Don’t actually think there is anything wrong with the preamp . It just doesn’t have a lot of top end boost . Have decided to get rid of it now as I’ve also found that the machines are woeful at holding the guitar in tune as well 

neil

• 5 months later...
On 17/03/2019 at 05:32, neilray said:

Anybody on here play Mayones .? Bought one a few weeks ago and used it on a couple of gigs and just can’t make my mind up . It’s a beauty and plays nicely but it’s also the only bass I’ve used where I’ve had to use extensive eq on my Mesa D800 to get any cut . Maybe mine has a problem with the pre amp . It has tons of bass and mid boost on tap but the treble control has a minimal effect overall . It’s a Slogan 4 if that helps . I run it through the Mess Subway D800 and two DB Embee 12 cabs . Thanks people

Just a thought: In spite of the issues you have with the e.q. tone of the bass, how does the bass "feel" to you? Does it seem to play itself? I say this because any adjustments to tone you may require is a simple fix. The "mojo" that the instrument gives you is really where your decision should lie. Well, that's my two cents anyway.

Peace in rhythm