Why become a member? ×

Fun little 30 bass comparison

Mudpup

19 hours ago, Mudpup said:

Theres a thing on the "other" site - have a look at this video then list your top 3 basses just for fun

Heres mine - 

MTD Super 5
Sandberg California
Dingwall Leland Sklar

That’s not far off my top 3. The Marusczyk jazz maybe shaded the MTD out of the top 3. Maybe the Lakland (still hate those oval bridge plates, though).

What surprised me more were some of the ones which were distinctly ‘meh” to my ears or which I actively disliked... the Foderas, the Smiths, Alembic...

Edited by TrevorR

1. I was really impressed with the Stingray's .. errr…..bassiness (?), to the point that If I ever have the funds I would seriously consider getting one.

2. EB3 for the cool look and its unique sound.

3. Out of the posh, expensive basses... I thought the Alembic was probably my favourite.

IMO pretty much the majority of those instruments just sound

very samey to me. Mostly expensive bling, lacking any real soul or character.

Edited by Bleat
poor grammar

I think the really remarkable thing is how alike they sound, or rather how much they all sound like Scott Devine...

It wasn't really all that relevant to me, as I'd make them all sound completely different to how Scott does*.  The real question between them would be 'How would they respond to how I play them, and how easily could I get a sound I like out of them?'

* And that's not any sort of qualitative judgement, obv, and not necessarily a good thing... 😕😀

• Like 3

Stingray

Pino P Bass

Xotic Jazz

Out of all of the Jazz style basses, they all sounded similar, but the Xotic just seemed to edge it. Could be the strings though.

I DID like the sound of the MTDs but I would not spend £5k on a bass...

The Dingwall Lee Sklar was also pretty awesome. 

The Ken Smith and Fodera basses didn't wow me at all.

Pretty difficult... Some I really liked, others I thought were bloody awful on the ear (and the eye in some cases!), but my top 3 on this listen (could totally change if I went over it again!)

'69 Relic Fender Custom Shop
Sandberg Marlowe DK
Dingwall Lee Sklar

Edited by Bigwan

Mr. Devine is so fun and his videos are well made as well as entertaining.

It would be far more interesting to see basses with similar pickups and electronics, so that the tester could give the wood a chance to talk. Maybe. Stringing should be equal. So waiting for the test with ten different *one pickup brand* equipped instruments (like SD, MEC, EMG, Delano, bartolini, Nordstrand, or...).

2 hours ago, Muzz said:

I think the really remarkable thing is how alike they sound, or rather how much they all sound like Scott Devine...

It wasn't really all that relevant to me, as I'd make them all sound completely different to how Scott does*.  The real question between them would be 'How would they respond to how I play them, and how easily could I get a sound I like out of them?'

* And that's not any sort of qualitative judgement, obv, and not necessarily a good thing... 😕😀

Interesting that you find that, I have a completely different perception and think some of them sound as different to others as two basses could.

Agree with the positive comments about Scott Devine in the thread. I enjoyed being a member of his site and only cancelled because I don't have enough free time to justify the cost anymore.

Lets face it, none of them sounded bad.

The stand outs for me were the Ken Smiths and the MTDs which is a bit surprising as I consider myself to be more of a Jazz/PJ type guy.

I must be developing expensive tastes.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Muzz said:

(snip)

That's a very valid point.

I own a Warwick Infinity SN4. And it can sound amazing. To me, it's all about balancing the JJ at the bridge against the J at the neck and setting the treble EQ accordingly.

It doesn't sound much like the one in the vid, that's for sure!

3 hours ago, Cuzzie said:

gotta say that between here and the similar one on TB across the water, The MarloweDK and Pino are getting a whole lotta love in the non stupidly expensive category

You don’t consider the Pino to be in the stupidly expensive category at over £3k?? You are a better man than I xD

On 18/03/2019 at 11:44, Muzz said:

Yup, interesting from a 'fill 5 mins watching youtube' point of view...... but he changed playing styles on each bass and who knows what age of strings etc the basses had....

A Spector certainly sounds different in my hands, that's for sure.....

On listening to it again without watching it, yeah, the basses sound different, but not that different, and I'm still of the opinion they sound more like Scott than anything. And I'd challenge anyone to identify them in anything more than a very very rudimentary way without the visuals...in fact at least half of them could be the same bass with EQ, string and technique adjustments...

• Like 2

Probably the first MTD, the first Ken Smith, and the Mary Stick. But I wouldn't buy any of them without playing them first, as to me the most important thing is how well it plays - does the neck profile suit me? If not, it can sound like angels singing and I still won't buy it.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Muzz said:

On listening to it again without watching it, yeah, the basses sound different, but not that different, and I'm still of the opinion they sound more like Scott than anything. And I'd challenge anyone to identify them in anything more than a very very rudimentary way without the visuals...in fact at least half of them could be the same bass with EQ, string and technique adjustments...

I could maybe pick out that it was a P or a J or an active type bass but even then that's pushing it, I wouldn't be surprised if I tried a blindfold challenge and had no idea.

On the other hand, when you say they sound like Scott Devine, do you think if half a dozen bass players recorded the same part you'd be able to pick out Scott's? I don't think I could.

A player like Geddy Lee I might pick out (providing he's playing in his normal style and not trying to trick us lol) but I've never really picked up on Scott having a distinct style other than playing very lightly. Just to stress again, I love him and he's an amazing bass player for sure. I'm just not sure about it sounding like him tonally, I definitely think it's more to do with the gear what the tone is like.

It's a commonly said thing in the bass world and the guitar world "person x would sound like person x through any gear" but I'm very sceptical of the idea.

• Like 1

Seems I'm the only one who thought the retro Stingray sounded utterly horrible. 😐

Impressed by the first MTD and Ken Smith, but I kinda doubt they're in my £200. second hand price bracket. 😬

I agree about Mr Devine's nice playing. 👍

Bet I could make them all sound rubbish, by spanking out my version of "Town Called Malice". :crazy:

Edited by Ricky 4000
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

4 hours ago, thegummy said:

On the other hand, when you say they sound like Scott Devine, do you think if half a dozen bass players recorded the same part you'd be able to pick out Scott's? I don't think I could.

It's a commonly said thing in the bass world and the guitar world "person x would sound like person x through any gear" but I'm very sceptical of the idea.

You'd think that the members of this forum could demonstrate this, find a dozen players who can play the same repertoire and pop them in the same recording situation with the same bass and backing track and record and hey there's an interesting YouTube video, maybe suggest it to Scott or Andertons (if they aren't already lurking here) or do it at a bass bash perhaps

1 hour ago, Aidan63 said:

You'd think that the members of this forum could demonstrate this, find a dozen players who can play the same repertoire and pop them in the same recording situation with the same bass and backing track and record and hey there's an interesting YouTube video, maybe suggest it to Scott or Andertons (if they aren't already lurking here) or do it at a bass bash perhaps

Totally agree @thegummy The way someone plays is quite different from the sound of the bass they play. As demonstrated in this clip. I don’t know why people still say that someone sounds the same regardless of what they play. It’s crazy. Nobody would have more than one bass if they all sounded the same. Nobody would make basses, different pickups, amplifiers, strings, pedals... 

Just listen to the zon. Then the Dingwall. Yes, what’s being played is similar (it’s the same kind of groove) but the basses sound totally different. Totally! How could they not?

If I’m wrong then we’d better contact the thousands of manufacturers and tell them not to worry about their basses, just whack them together and forget about what electronics and woods you use because they all sound the same. Same for amplifier companies - nah don’t worry about what speaker sizes or EQ section, I’ll still sound like me. Strings? Doesn’t matter, I’ll just use pieces of solder instead of Sunbeams, they make no difference. 

😂

• Haha 1

A simple test would be a normal American Standard/half decent Fender Precision.

Normal roundwound strings.

Pretty standard amp/cab setup.

Ask around 10 people to play it, and listen how different it sounds.

Some people will play it aggressively with a plectrum, and you'll get all the grind and noise from the attack.

Some people will roll the tone down and play it with fingers and get more of a traditional vibe.

Some may even slap it!

Just now, Musicman20 said:

Some people will play it aggressively with a plectrum, and you'll get all the grind and noise from the attack.

Some people will roll the tone down and play it with fingers and get more of a traditional vibe.

Some may even slap it!

And every single person will sound like they’re playing a P bass, despite HOW they play it. 

After listening - not looking - the video for several times, I count out all Fenders and Fender lookalikes, although that Exotic was pretty good and Sandberg very good. I may be a bit to precision sound, as that Spector was amazingly good in her league.

Many American brands had certain zing I did not like, but also this particular Status was a disappointment to me. On the other hand that Alembic was a killer and Pedulla and Zon were just OK. I think that if money was not an object, from these ladies I would have chosen Marlowe DK and that off-black MTD. Alembic, yes... Why on earth was that Vigier white? Roscoe was the best in the sparse league of fretlesses.

Now, if I had the chance to collect individual details from this flock my bass would have: The sound of that Alembic. The ergonomics of the Spector. The carbon of the Status. The paint of the dark MTD. The design of the Vigier. And wide neck 5... which just does not exist.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Musicman20 said:

Some may even slap it!

It's a great idea, but the P is one of the most easily recognised, most distinctive bass sounds there is - what you need is something more anodyne, with less character, so that it really is the player which stands out. A P is like saying 'And we'll put everyone through an SVT, just on the point of breakup'...you'd never get past that. There were quite a few basses in that clip which sounded verrrry similar; one of them would be ideal...

Edited by Muzz