Why become a member? ×

Drummer Related General Band Moan

Skybone

Sack the Drummer... please!

Sorry folks, another Drummer related moan, but also a "band in general" moan too.

Our drummer has consistently let us down regularly since last year, saying he's OK for rehearsals and then bailing at the last minute incurring cancellation costs. OK, I appreciate he's pretty busy and has a fair distance to travel, but fair warning that you're not going to make it to rehearsal is not too much to ask is it (the rehearsal room has a 48 hour cancellation policy)?

We did a couple of gigs in January, and he was bouncing around like Tigger after them, full of enthusiasm for the band and where we can take it etc. However, since then, he's only shown up to 1 rehearsal (when we have bookings weekly). We can only work on new material to a point, but then progress grinds to a halt. The situation has got to the point where there's no new ideas being put forward, and it's more of an expensive social gathering than a rehearsal. We have also had to turn down a number of gigs because he can't commit to any.

The rest of us have spoken about where we go from here, but no one's made a definitive decision on the way forward. And therein lies another problem... indecision is really twisting the knife. We need a new drummer, and soon, we have a gig coming up on the 11th May. However, all this in mind, no one wants to let him go. Yes, he's a seriously good drummer and a nice guy, but that only carries so much weight when he's over-commited elsewhere, and continually lets us down and costs us money (it's also incredibly rare he contributes to rehearsal room costs).

We had a long discussion about it on Friday, another discussion about it on Messenger yesterday, and yet they still want to "keep him on board". They're a great bunch, but the indecision is seriously pi55ing me off, so much so, the ultimatum of "it's either him or me" was uttered on Friday.

Apologies again, but needed to get this off my chest, to folk who can possibly sympathise even on the most superfluous level. :D 

• Sad 1

Charge the drummer the full cancellation fee of the rehearsal rooms if he cancels last minute, that’ll focus him on committing properly or letting new blood in. Obviously, let him know this in advance and soon.

• Like 5

I don't think the issue is that you need a new drummer. There is a bigger issue, in that you (collectively) can't make a decision when you need to. You need a band leader of some kind, or some kind of process where you can actually make important decisions, act on them, then move on.

• Like 1

I`ve been in a similar situation many moons ago, but with a guitarist. He was a great player but didn`t have transport, a suitable guitar, or an amp (guess who had to provide all of those) and wouldn`t set any gear up. He couldn`t learn songs, couldn`t remember where the solos were (after the 2nd chorus in every song) and his priority was to drink as much as possible on the way to rehearsal as well as once there. I didn`t exactly do the "it`s him or me", I just said to the other guys I wouldn`t work with the band whilst he was in it. Now in terms of sheer playing he was far better than me, when he played a solo it was sheer genius but it`s what he didn`t bring to the band that they concentrated on, luckily for me.They fired him. And he`d been a mate of mine for some 25 years at that point, so I did feel a bit guilty but as they say, it`s business, nothing personal, and that`s what this situation is. If it were the workplace this drummer would be fired pdq.

• Like 2

That simply doesn't work. Time to replace him.  It might work if you tell him that you need more commitment and reliabilty towards the band, its rehearsals and gigs. If he doesn't pick up his act then its definitely time to sack him.

Perhaps audition other drummers on the side and get an idea of what or who is available and if you select a replacement drummer then make sure he is fully committed to the band.

Our drummer, singer and guitarist play in other bands and its a case of 1st gig in diary gets the job. As our band is the newer band put together it will be making significantly more money per gig so everyone is keen to get it up and running and some are thinking of giving it priority if booking is a good gig with good money. Not sure how that will work out with the other band members they play with tho.

Good luck

Dave

8 hours ago, paul_c2 said:

I don't think the issue is that you need a new drummer. There is a bigger issue, in that you (collectively) can't make a decision when you need to. You need a band leader of some kind, or some kind of process where you can actually make important decisions, act on them, then move on.

Completely agree, and I've been trying to nudge the others into making a decision. Where they agree in principle, no one wants to stick their neck out and tell him it's the end of the road. The consensus was to offer him a hiatus, and be "open and honest" with anyone coming in about the situation, which I think is not a viable solution, and merely trying to hedge your bets, and would not really make a new drummer want to commit to any band, especially when we need someone on board who can and will commit.

Feel like I'm banging my head against a wall just now, however, I do have a lead on another drummer.

After writing the initial post, I messaged the old drummer offering the hiatus option (to placate the other band members), but there's just been radio silence from everyone since then. In the meantime, I am making a nice dent in the wall.

Simple: take a dump or get off the pot

:)

You can't have the rest of the band hanging around wondering if he'll turn up or not. It's wasting your time and money. If he's too busy, say so. If he's not into the band, say so. If you're waiting around for him you risk losing the rest of the band. Time for cards on the table 

(Sorry to put it so bluntly, but if you want to gig you can't have people that are not committed)

Edited by Norris
  • Like 2

I sacked the drummer in my band for exactly the same reason.

He was also my landlord.

But he had to go.

I figured that, as we had another more committed drummer waiting in the wings, a decision had to be made.

And I could always find another flat.

Edited by gjones

6 hours ago, bazzbass said:

he is just a drummer, lots of them about. Order a pizza, a drummer will probably deliver it to you. try him/ her out lol

If they come to the door with the pizza, and don't know when to come ion - you know they're a drummer 😉

Rather than falling out with him, tell him you all appreciate he's trying to keep it up for the sake of the band,  but it's become obvious he's struggling to keep up the commitment and you don't think it's fair on him, so if he wants to walk after the May gig there won't be any hard feelings...

Oh... you've tried that.

How rhythmic is your wall-head-banging? Do you have drummer potential?

I'll get my coat.

Edited by Stub Mandrel
  • Like 1

We had the same problem with a guitarist a few years back, he was working away and struggling to make rehearsals, but wouldn't practice or learn the material while he was away. It came to head when my daughter attended a gig and while at the side of the stage noticed that he wasn't even hitting the strings a lot of the time, throwing shapes and looking the part but not actually playing as he didn't know his parts. We knew something was up (two guitarists so there was guitar) but we didn't realise until afterwards how bad it was. The problem was he was an old mate of all the band members in their own way, it was his band, he chose the name and got everyone into it. He got me and the other guitarist back into playing after pretty much giving up, a long break for me, and I'm loving it more than ever so really do have a lot to thank him for. We all organised a meeting with him in a pub (neutral ground) and had a good chat and told him it wasn't working. Really horrible situation, sacking someone from their own band but it had to be done. He asked to keep the name and we got another guitarist and a new name, so in a way four of us left his band and he was on his own. I think he loved the idea of being in a band but not the commitment. 

Edited by Maude
  • Like 1

I've just spent three years with a group of good musicians who were rubbish at rehearsals and who had disorganised over-committed lives. When everyone was there both physically and metaphorically it was the best sounding band I've been in. We did six gigs in three years. I wish I'd faced up to the issues way back and I could have those years again. the drummist was our biggest problem.

It's probably too late now but my experience is that whoever brings the conflict into the light is the one who loses out, usually me :) It might have been better to have suggested a 'dep' for when he couldn't make it. The new drummer would either slot in and you could at least rehearse or the threat would make the old drummer focus more and he'd show a bit more commitment.

I've rarely come across a drummer who understands rehearsal. Most of them think they can learn a song in minimal time and a setlist in a couple of days, and up to a point they usually can get through a set pretty much straight out of the box; if you don't mind the odd fill in the wrong place or the drums going on for a bar or two at the end of the song. I'm not saying drums are easy, as someone who struggles to move their hands independently but that it is different if you have no notes to worry about. I've yet to come across a drummer who truly enjoys rehearsal or who understands the need to repeat bits that didn't work, their bit did.

• Like 2

We used to have a keyboardist who used to pull the same stunt of bailing out on rehearsal at the last minute. 

In fact, one day I realised that he'd had more missed rehearsals than the other 4 of us put together.  Paradoxically, of all of us, he was the one who needed the most rehearsal time.

We had to let him go and I deeply regret not doing it sooner, as he held the whole band back.

2 hours ago, Phil Starr said:

I've just spent three years with a group of good musicians who were rubbish at rehearsals and who had disorganised over-committed lives. When everyone was there both physically and metaphorically it was the best sounding band I've been in. We did six gigs in three years. I wish I'd faced up to the issues way back and I could have those years again. the drummist was our biggest problem.

It's probably too late now but my experience is that whoever brings the conflict into the light is the one who loses out, usually me :) It might have been better to have suggested a 'dep' for when he couldn't make it. The new drummer would either slot in and you could at least rehearse or the threat would make the old drummer focus more and he'd show a bit more commitment.

I've rarely come across a drummer who understands rehearsal. Most of them think they can learn a song in minimal time and a setlist in a couple of days, and up to a point they usually can get through a set pretty much straight out of the box; if you don't mind the odd fill in the wrong place or the drums going on for a bar or two at the end of the song. I'm not saying drums are easy, as someone who struggles to move their hands independently but that it is different if you have no notes to worry about. I've yet to come across a drummer who truly enjoys rehearsal or who understands the need to repeat bits that didn't work, their bit did.

I read these posts and thank whatever is above for our drummer 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Norris said:

Simple: take a dump or get off the pot

:)

You can't have the rest of the band hanging around wondering if he'll turn up or not. It's wasting your time and money. If he's too busy, say so. If he's not into the band, say so. If you're waiting around for him you risk losing the rest of the band. Time for cards on the table 

(Sorry to put it so bluntly, but if you want to gig you can't have people that are not committed)

Thing is, the rest of the band want to keep him involved. I'd imagine that they're trying to hedge their bets, and keep their bases covered in case anyone else pulls the same stunt.

They're all pi55ed off with the situation, but really want to keep the flaky feck.

As Phil was saying, I'm also getting the impression that I'm the bad guy for pushing on getting someone else involved. Subtle irony, as they all complain when he cancels at the last minute.

Guess I'll be surreptitiously scanning the bass player wanted ad's from now.

We had a five piece ensemble and noticed a pattern: it would often be difficult to say yes to gigs due to prior obligations for some of us. We were all busy musicians with lots of commitments and depping.

Our solution was to build a double quintet: two of each.
If you hired us, you'd get a quintet consisting of the ones that were available on that night.

Anyway, on most of our rehearsals, eight people turned up: two bassists, two keyboard players, etc... and... you guessed it... zero drummers.
That very sadly was the end of our fantastic scheme.

• Sad 1