Why become a member? ×

50th Birthday and £500 max spend.. Sire MM?

Chrisbassboy5

As above im in a quandry.. need to buy a special 5 string and like the idea of a Marcus Miller Bass. Lots of hype on YT, is it a worthwhile buy or any other reccomends for the price? Want quality new/used as 1 time buy (i hope!).

Poss new MM or Ibanez SR300-600 (barts)? I mostly play windband/jass/blues stuff so any ideas of appropriate axes? Any feedback and recommends read and thankful for.. 

Chris

Edited by Chrisbassboy5
Typo

Today £500 buys a choice of quality basses - the Sire is very well thought of, but there are other good basses in the same range. I recently tried a very nice Yamaha ( @lee650 and @AndyTravis I hate you both!!) which was purchased for less than £200. G&L tributes and Revelation are also well respected and in your price range. 

As you say, you need to try before you buy - a trip to your nearest Bass Bash or Bass Direct may be a good idea.

17 minutes ago, TheGreek said:

Today £500 buys a choice of quality basses - the Sire is very well thought of, but there are other good basses in the same range. I recently tried a very nice Yamaha ( @lee650 and @AndyTravis I hate you both!!) which was purchased for less than £200. G&L tributes and Revelation are also well respected and in your price range. 

As you say, you need to try before you buy - a trip to your nearest Bass Bash or Bass Direct may be a good idea.

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F273764127557

I bought a brand New Mexican jazz bass from (I think) Richtone Music which is absolutely brilliant. In my opinion it’s a step up in class from the old Mex Fenders and plays and sounds great. It knocks spots off my old Sire too and probably has better resale value too. 

It’s not perfect - the tuners will need upgrading and the bridge too possibly, but it’s perfect for my needs at the moment for a great looking and sounding giggable bass that I’m not afraid to take outside of the house.

17 hours ago, Chrisbassboy5 said:

What's the score with Warwick? Are they that good?

I'm a firm fan of Warwick, and they are ridiculously cheap second hand - massively under-priced for the original German instruments IMHO.  If you can find a thru-neck version of any of their models in your price range it will be slim and fast, and in my experience handles the low B very well.

That said, they have a lot of variety in neck profiles and pickup choices over the years, to say nothing of the different ranges that they have introduced in recent years so it can be quite difficult to keep track of what was made where and by which team of craftsmen.  Even more so since they started badging their RockBass range as Warwick, although a mate of mine has one and swears by it so perhaps not to be dismissed

Finding a bargain can be a bit of a task, trawling through eBay and small ads.  But if you are having a trip to Andertons anyway it would be worth trying a few of the assorted ranges to see if you like them...and then off to the interweb to look for second hand ads

56 minutes ago, Monkey Steve said:

I'm a firm fan of Warwick, and they are ridiculously cheap second hand - massively under-priced for the original German instruments IMHO.  If you can find a thru-neck version of any of their models in your price range it will be slim and fast, and in my experience handles the low B very well.

That said, they have a lot of variety in neck profiles and pickup choices over the years, to say nothing of the different ranges that they have introduced in recent years so it can be quite difficult to keep track of what was made where and by which team of craftsmen.  Even more so since they started badging their RockBass range as Warwick, although a mate of mine has one and swears by it so perhaps not to be dismissed

Finding a bargain can be a bit of a task, trawling through eBay and small ads.  But if you are having a trip to Andertons anyway it would be worth trying a few of the assorted ranges to see if you like them...and then off to the interweb to look for second hand ads

Thanks Steve. I had never considered a Warwick? I have researched until I have almost gone mad, reviews, and YT stuff..

My ideal is to have a quality 1 time purchase. I have tried P and J Fender basses into the mix and I'll be honest don't really understand the hype and want for these...tbh.

I really would like to have a quality new/2nd hand 5 string with loads of tone control. Am after a smooth almost string bass sound and will even consider flats as I play wind Band stuff mostly..

Will keep looking but am still gooey eyed over high series Ibbys and the MM.... oh god. The variety kills me!

Will see what comes... any other choice/options folks..

Thanks Chris