Why become a member? ×

Defining mojo in a bass

geoham

I have a MIM Fender Jazz that I’ve had since 2002ish and made a few modifications along the way. It was my third bass , but my first ‘proper’ one. I don’t know what it is about this bass, but I love it. I’ve owned a multitude of other basses over the years, and inevitably they are all shown the door eventually! I gig a fair bit and don’t keep basses that don’t get used live.

For example, I currently own a Lakland 55-01 and this is technically better in every way compared to Jazz. I love the tonal flexibility, make use of the 5th string loads, love the idea of hipshot tuners, graphite rods in the neck and 35 inch scale.I always get a good sound too! However, I just get on better with the Jazz, and I can’t quite quantify why! So, I just describe it as better mojo...

I know that a modern, active 5 string and a Jazz are entirely different beasts, but it’s been a similar tale for many others too. I’m a bit disappointed in myself, as this realisation has all but killed off GAS! 

Anyone else have this affinity for a particular instrument?

My two gigging Precisions have what I think is legit mojo, the knocks don’t look fake and even if they are they’re not too big/obvious so that suits me. To me legit mojo looks like accidents, fake mojo looks like someone has had to put in a lot of effort.

Guitars that have been played a lot, even by someone who is real careful, doesn't wear belts or denim jackets and looks after them so don't look roadworn have mojo as it's the playing of them gives them a vibe, story of a proper musical life, that's real mojo - that's what the vibration treatment Yamaha give their top end basses is supposed to mimic

I find I prefer my 16 year old Mexican Jazz that clearly had had a life (or two) before I got it, and required some tlc to bring it back to playable, to my more expensive Jake which was built from some better materials with probably more love and care and is still immaculate but which hasn't been played probably 5% as much as the old Jazz.

Only the neck, nut, neck screws and plate, and body are original on the Jazz

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Aidan63 said:

Guitars that have been played a lot, even by someone who is real careful, doesn't wear belts or denim jackets and looks after them so don't look roadworn have mojo as it's the playing of them gives them a vibe, story of a proper musical life, that's real mojo - that's what the vibration treatment Yamaha give their top end basses is supposed to mimic

I find I prefer my 16 year old Mexican Jazz that clearly had had a life (or two) before I got it, and required some tlc to bring it back to playable, to my more expensive Jake which was built from some better materials with probably more love and care and is still immaculate but which hasn't been played probably 5% as much as the old Jazz.

Only the neck, nut, neck screws and plate, and body are original on the Jazz

Sounds like a familiar story! I think it’s partly familiarity and sentimentality for me. When I bought my Jazz, it was the most expensive thing I’d ever bought. I saved up my tips from working in a bar for AGES and traded in my old Tanglewood to buy it, and finally getting my own proper Fender meant hell of a lot to me.

Now, I have a salaried job and also make some extra cash from gigging. I could have any bass I want (within reason!), but I’ll be sticking with my old Jazz for the foreseeable. I don’t dislike my Lakland... but it may well be looking for a new home before long.

George

@geohamIMO mojo is whatever you describe it to be, it’s such a loose alternative banded around.

The dictionary definition mojo as  “A quality that attracts people (or something) to you and makes you successful and full of energy”

People going off on a tangent and talking about the natural or unnatural wear of a bass are wrong.

This bass makes you feel alive and you want to play it - it has mojo, end of.

I completely get it - some things work that on paper should not, but is not paper and a spec sheet - it’s raw materials moulded into something which seem to have gelled into a piece of kit great for you.

Look no further unless you have to or want to, or at least don’t sell it to chase a dream, the grass is not always greener

Seems that 'mojo' is to bass what 'heft' is to amps - it means different things to different people or indeed to the same person depending upon context.  With reference to a bass I've always taken mojo to mean wear and tear picked up by a bass during its life.  But when talking about Life in general it is some sort of vitality.

The quality that makes you want to pick it up and play it again and again.  Few dings so you’re not too precious about getting stuck in, nice comfy neck, great sound.   Had both basses with real mojo plus decent relics like Limelight, both kinda do it for me. My current USA P has just the right amount of dings and playwear, plus a nice rolled edge neck, so it’s great to pick up whenever.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, geoham said:

Anyone else have this affinity for a particular instrument?

Oh yes. I have an affinity with all the basses I gig. They only have one purpose, they hit the spot or they are moved on.

Having said that I am pretty easy about what I'll play and what I'll like. As long as a bass sounds good then I'll put up with an awful lot.