Why become a member? ×

Best Budget Controller Pad For Drums?

Norris

I'm looking for a controller pad, primarily for drums, but it would be useful if it could do the transport controls too. On a budget, I'm looking to spend less than £100

Current setup is a PC with Reaper. I have a USB midi interface hooked up to my ancient Yamaha PF85 keyboard and a USB Behringer Xenix X1622 mixing desk. I also have a cheapo Ion electronic drum kit, but think I'm better tapping out a rhythm with my fingers than with drum sticks. 

I'm looking at the AKAI MPD218, but am put off a bit by reviews that say triggering can be a bit hit & miss. I'm also looking at the Novation Launchpad Mini MkII, but that seems very geared towards Ableton. The Presonus Atom looks interesting, although topping my budget by a bit.

Any other suggestions/recommendations?

Edited by Norris

Just a quick note about the Launchpad, although it is geared towards Ableton, at its heart it is simply a midi controller, as such it can be ‘midi learned’ with any DAW and function.

Si // Novation 

• Thanks 1

Like Si has said, usually with these products what makes them "geared" towards any DAW is the software package that comes with them and maybe the fact that such DAW is included in the package, but at their heart they are not different to any other midi controller. So do not be discouraged from getting the MPC if you fancy it, it will work in your DAW of choice.