Why become a member? ×

Squier CV or Vintage V4

thegummy

24 minutes ago, PaleAngel_90 said:

I'd like to know an actual fact-based opinion in the Vintage V4 Vs Squier Classic 60's Vibe P-bass. No fanboying, just facts please. I'm considering which one to buy and I want good quality that doesn't break my bank account.

I didn't get to try both side by side, it was at least 5 years in between and only two examples of the Squier and one of the Vintage... so how representative this is I am not sure. I have played and owned many Squiers (several of the CV series) and a few Vintage ones, both guitars and basses.

I felt the CV series Squier was generally a clear step up in quality from any Vintage, in terms of finish and cosmetics: every single Vintage instrument I have had in my hands had some kind of minor cosmetic blemish. However, Vintage instruments tend to be more than decent players and in some cases truly outstanding. 

It's hard to make a fast rule, the Vintage V4 I tried was a Tony Butler signature (not sure how different it is from a standard V4 apart from the cosmetics) was a very nice bass, but the CV 60s Precisions I've had in my hands all felt like the better instrument. I owned a fiesta red one which had one of the nicest necks I've ever found. I still have a Matt Freeman (from when they were essentially a CV 60s, I bought it because I wanted a maple fingerboard) and again the neck on that one is superb.

In general, if in doubt I'd go with the Squier CV series. But both will be decent instruments. 

I heard that the Chinese CV series were not as good as the original Indonesian CV series, but I can't comment on that having only ever had Indonesian ones.

I wish I had both with me so that I could offer a better comparison, sorry.

Ive had a Vintage VJ4 and a Squire CV 70s as back ups within 2 months of playing both.  . The Vintage was a 2020 and the CV was a 2021. I can only give my opinion on the feel/build quality of the VJ4 Im not sure about the V4's tone of course.. But for what its worth. Both were not equal. Imo the Vintage was really not good. Sharp fret ends, Just felt cheap. The bass I owned had an East preamp so the tone was good, god knows why someone put a class preamp in an instrument like that. But I really didn't like the feel of it at all. Only my opinion of course.

Recently I owned a Squire CV 70's P bass. What a difference. Really great feeling, great playing passive P bass. When I picked it up it just felt good.. I have a vid somewhere with me doing a demo on a CV.

I think once you have tried one bass from a brand and it wasn't good it puts you off. Its funny because I got my BC name from a Vintage. My first bass 21 years ago was a Vintage V950 made from bubinga. 

IMO. Squire every time. The CV's are killer for the price.

Edited by bubinga5

Or dare I say it and to Muddy Waters, a Harley Benton, I've never yet had a bad one come in for any work...cheap alternative, ticks all the boxes, although I'd prefer cost effective, cheap can be taken to mean crap. 

That said, you really can't wrong with a Squier or Vintage.

One Vintage I worked on, by coincidence was also a Tony Butler when they first came out, just a simple set up and flats across it, the neck colouring was jaw droppingly beautiful. 

Do those Indonesia CVP have a glossy rear neck finish? I ask as my CVJ China one did, couldn't get on with it. 

Good luck with your choice. 

Edited by iconic

18 hours ago, mcnach said:

I heard that the Chinese CV series were not as good as the original Indonesian CV series, but I can't comment on that having only ever had Indonesian ones.

I wish I had both with me so that I could offer a better comparison, sorry.

Hang on, wrong way around methinks? 

Weren't the original CV series built in China by Grand Reward, then production went over to Indonesia Cor-Tek? 

22 minutes ago, iconic said:

Hang on, wrong way around methinks? 

Weren't the original CV series built in China by Grand Reward, then production went over to Indonesia Cor-Tek? 

... and you're completely right, of course. I just checked the headstock on the Matt Freeman. 

Thanks for the correction! :)

7 hours ago, iconic said:

ICS....Indonesia Cor-Tek Squier

Some Squier serial numbers are just IC, some are ICS, I'd be interested to know what the S really stands for, is it a different facility or a different quality, Squier wiki says limited runs like FSR etc. ICS  is generally the nicer stuff ime; I have a CV Mustang that is ISS, I think the first S is Samick but again what the second S stands for I don't know, and neither does Squier wiki