Why become a member? ×

Ibanez ATK300 overhaul

Wilson_51_

Disclaimer: yes i could have sold this bass and got something more suitable, yes it could turn out to be a terrible decision! But i like to tinker, this bass doesn't owe me anything and its (mostly) reversible.

So after my previous thread of refinishing a Harley Benton PB-50. It got me in the mood to do a bit more modifying.

I bought an Ibanez ATK300 a few years ago for very cheap. At the time i was playing a Musicman Stingray in a Stoner band and wanted something that could mimic it well, as a back up. This fitted the criteria perfectly and the same model was used by Scott Reeder (Kyuss) which was also a big plus in my book.

157889792_Screenshot2019-03-16at17_03_13.png.102aa5beb28d96b3370f721ef14c4f87.png

I changed up my set up last year to using  Rickenbacker and sold the Stingray. The ATK has fallen to the wayside as i find it doesn't suit the sound I'm going for.  So Active preamp out, MM pickups out. Passive and single coil in!

Browsing through Facebook i came across somebody selling a pair of single coil Zombie Dust pickups housed in MM size cases.  The idea struck me to turn the ATK into a passive, double single coil pickup monster.

IMG_0048.JPG.1900943a07904853a132dbf3d9a24aea.JPG

After Some thought I wanted to try and make this easily reversible. The first thing to do once the pickups arrived was to make sure i could fit the neck pickup where the pickguard is so if i don't like it i can cover the rout with the original pickguard.

eda00368-c517-4620-afd6-9d1c8e1b49c6.thumb.JPG.80a788cd076d313993f09c24b65b9981.JPG

Edited by simon88wilson
  • Like 4

I carefully took out the electronics , so I could put them back in when/if necessary.

I contacted Gig.ink to get a custom pickguard made up. I just scanned in the original and asked for a mm rout in it. he sent me a pdf to check it fits and will be making and sending out this week coming. 

1221462138_Screenshot2019-03-17at13_35_54.png.78a94c1c1cc5409c7a91673c2796aade.png

Then i set about routing out the pickup hole, luckily being covered by i pickguard all i needed to do was cut a rectangle out. I don't own a router and have considered buying one for a while but funds would not permit, so i gave it a go with a drill,chisel and dremel with router attachment. Disaster struck early on. I noticed a small hairline crack in the neck pocket but thought it was a mark. the first use of the dremel and out came a hunk of wood. 

IMG_0136.thumb.jpg.eab01b78670dfbfbbc5ba561da25fb3c.jpg

luckily it isn't too deep and will be covered by the pickguard and hasn't effected the neck pocket by what i can gather after refitting the neck.  I know its not a clean straight rout and i should have used a template but its functional and i'm happy enough. I pooped myself when drilling the pickup wire hole to the cavity but it went absolutely fine.

i sprayed the pickups with a black paint i had hanging around as they were finished in a weird silver that wasn't appealing for this project.

I refitted the bridge and the new single coil bridge pickup. i popped the old pickguard over the rout just to make sure it'll be covered and added a dummy switch, which i might use for something when wiring it up.

IMG_0138.thumb.jpg.1a3793bb5420e2163f4cab15c25d1de7.jpg

so whats left to do? fit the new pickguard when it arrives, add inn the neck pickup.

Then it's on to wiring it up, i think ill use the same wiring as in the rickenbacker but potentially without the pickup selector or maybe use the small dummy switch as a pickup selector.

I'll update later this week when the bits arrive!

• Like 2

So pickguard arrived from gig.ink yesterday. Fitted it and the neck pickup. 

All fits it’s on the first attempt which is lovely!

Now all that’s left to do is the wiring. 

I am am considering a complete colour change. I already have a black and maple bass. So I’m tempted to change this to something else. Possibly British racing green?

Does anyone one have any colour suggestions?

AD939317-C2A9-4D30-9B1E-332444591771.jpeg

BE368462-4BEC-4F83-87E2-9EB41E3B6BD6.jpeg

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Si600 said:

Sorry, I hadn't seen that the pickguard had a white line on it.  Carry on 👍

the new pickguard doesn't have a white line. you've got me thinking now that british racing green wouldn't be the best choice. time to think of a different colour!

On 20/03/2019 at 09:05, simon88wilson said:

Does anyone one have any colour suggestions?

Don't know why, but I can see this really well in Buttercream or similar yellow!

https://www.andertons.co.uk/fender-player-jazzmaster-buttercream-pau-ferro-fretboard-0146903534?LGWCODE=0146903534;56375;6335&gclid=Cj0KCQjwj9LkBRDnARIsAGQ-hUdVaNBzuY1FScV1P0O5uEAibYi7sRYbsVkwIoahYOB3x1Uw7queeIoaAuZ4EALw_wcB

• 2 weeks later...

just a quick update on this! It is now all back together (haven't bothered to refinish it but it might get one later this year)

sound file is a quick rendition of the start of warpigs because i was listening to it at the time. It has brand new rotosounds on it at the moment. ill add some pictures when its light enough to take some decent ones!

Edited by simon88wilson