Why become a member? ×

Gary

Gary1963

Not 100% clear on this as I've only owned SRs, but I think the SRX range was meant to be a more rock/metal-oriented version of the Soundgear series. Not sure whether they have the same thin/narrow neck as the standard SR but if not, it will feel very different.

Like every bass, the action depends on how it's set up, how good the fret job is, and personal preference. I play quite aggressively & a very low action tends to produce more unwanted clattering and clanking, so I tend to tweak it up a bit.

6 hours ago, Gary1963 said:

I have an ibanez soundgear sr300 but have just seen an ibanez srx500 is this worth swapping from the 300 to the 500.is the 500 that much better and what's the action like on these as my 300 not that bad. I need some advice please help

I sometimes see people reviewing and comparing instruments and saying the action on one model was better... 

But action is all down to the particular setup on that instrument, and it can be adjusted to whatever you want it to be.

Which one is better? I have played a SR300 and it was a pretty good bass. Is the 500 better? It may be in some ways but I doubt it'll be day/night different. Moreover, we all like different things... I'm afraid there's no substitute to your trying a few to get a sense for what they're like... and remember, you can get the bass adjusted for whatever action you prefer.

From what I can remember the SR and SRX ranges are quite different in some respects. The body of the SR is a lot slimmer and contoured than the SRX. The SRX is a more traditional slab with contour cuts. And I think the neck on the SRX is 'chunkier' than the SR range.

They look sort of similar but are actually quite different. If it was a case of going from an SR300 to a SR500 than that is a direct step up, but this is more of a step across to something a bit different.