Why become a member? ×

Paul McCartney: Overrated or What?

Fionn

13 minutes ago, Barking Spiders said:

I might have to argue there . What about proto sk8ter boy classic 'Wired for Sound'? 

My tongue was a bit in my cheek, Cliff has released some half decent tracks amongst all the dross, but for me Move It is his best

• Like 1

Is that the guy from Wings? 😂

Funny guy, met him briefly (and his entourage), probably because there was an event on at LIPA, which is a rarity as he's very rarely in the 'pool or the public eye. But didn't mention the other band he's in or his bass playing, mostly as I'm not a fan tbh. 

Regarding his music, he's a great song writer, undoubtedly. I'm not a fan of the bass lines though, nothing that really challenges my technique or gives me any enjoyment playing. If anything, I consider him more a vocalist, pianist and guitarist who writes accompanying bass parts, the same way he would for drums. Basic.

Overall verdict, overrated? No, I'd say he does his job very well and a very cool guy, I hate him for it 😂

5 hours ago, bigsmokebass said:

Is that the guy from Wings? 😂

Funny guy, met him briefly (and his entourage), probably because there was an event on at LIPA, which is a rarity as he's very rarely in the 'pool or the public eye. But didn't mention the other band he's in or his bass playing, mostly as I'm not a fan tbh. 

Regarding his music, he's a great song writer, undoubtedly. I'm not a fan of the bass lines though, nothing that really challenges my technique or gives me any enjoyment playing. If anything, I consider him more a vocalist, pianist and guitarist who writes accompanying bass parts, the same way he would for drums. Basic.

Overall verdict, overrated? No, I'd say he does his job very well and a very cool guy, I hate him for it 😂

I'm of a completely different opinion, think his songwriting is nothing to shout about, with a few exceptions, there's an awful lot of very twee stuff in there, some of his lyrics are very lazy, "My love don't give me presents but I know she's no peasant" really sets my teeth on edge, but his bass playing is sublime, difficult to play does not make a good bass line.

Wouldn't do for us all to have the same opinion though would it? this forum would be very boring indeed

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Barking Spiders said:

I might have to argue there . What about proto sk8ter boy classic 'Wired for Sound'? 

The most impressive thing about that, aside from the leotards, is the roller skating.  I've never been able to roller skate, just fall on my @rse straight away, and have been envious of anyone who can.  He does it so effortlessly. 

Guilty pleasure - Cliff's Devil Woman.  Always wanted to play it.

33 minutes ago, Paul S said:

This is Basschat.  No-one stays on topic for more than one page.

Very true, perhaps the very nature of discussion - it evolves.

Now then, grapefruit, is that overrated? Discuss 😂.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, prowla said:

Tat made me look up this one...

MY mum made me write down all the words to that one, playing it over and again on my little blue and white battery powered record player.

Why has he got blue plectrums stuck to his shirt?

2 hours ago, Paul S said:

The most impressive thing about that, aside from the leotards, is the roller skating.  I've never been able to roller skate, just fall on my @rse straight away, and have been envious of anyone who can.  He does it so effortlessly. 

Guilty pleasure - Cliff's Devil Woman.  Always wanted to play it.

Guilty secret?

I'm really not sure anyone should risk listening to this, my first band practising about 1988, recorded on a ghetto blaster thirty feet from the stage in the huge empty hall at Kenfig Hill Labour Club.

Edited by Stub Mandrel

1 hour ago, rogerstodge said:

This guy does a fairly good job of explaining the Something bassline

Couldn't get it to play on BC but found it on FB. That sounded really good with good, if gushing, technical info. Thanks for posting.