Why become a member? ×

Paul McCartney: Overrated or What?

Fionn

On 29/03/2019 at 23:13, Cosmo Valdemar said:

Is that the Howard Goodall one? That was excellent. Worthy of a whole series.

Was Howard Goodall, and he himself is a superb musician.  He deconstructed Peppers like a demon, and you wouldnt believe how inventive the whole band were, but espesh Mac and Lennon , and of course the genius that was George Martin. All this prior to the digital trickery we have today.

It was mind boggling

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Bluewine said:

We're they around before The Beatles? I don't know 

Blue

No. FM formed in 1967. 5 years after The beatles debut single Love Me Do. Which apparently got to #17 in the charts after Brian Epstein bought 400 boxes of it.

12 hours ago, Bluewine said:

We're they around before The Beatles? I don't know 

Blue

It was a joke, mate. A ref to "The Chain", a song by the second edition of FM. The original and best FM formed in 67 with the incomparable Peter Green.

• Like 1

On 20/03/2019 at 21:49, Bluewine said:

I'm a 66 year old Beatles fanatic. However if I've learned anything from this forum it's how popular The Shadows were in England.

We knew about The Shadows here in the States but I guess there wasn't room for them and The Beatles.

Blue

I thought the Ventures were big in the States and the Shadows a UK Ventures tribute act, or have I got that terribly wrong?

4 hours ago, mikel said:

It was a joke, mate. A ref to "The Chain", a song by the second edition of FM. The original and best FM formed in 67 with the incomparable Peter Green.

Yes, it was meant to be a joke, Blue, obviously it didn’t travel very well across the Pond.  Apologies

Edited by Baxlin

11 hours ago, Mykesbass said:

I thought the Ventures were big in the States and the Shadows a UK Ventures tribute act, or have I got that terribly wrong?

The Ventures' big hit, Walk Don't Run was released in June 1960 - The Shadows' first solo hit, Apache was recorded in June 1960 and released just after. 

However the Shadows were also Cliff Richard's band before that - and also after - making famous films as well as records with him whilst concurrently doing hit instrumentals. So most certainly not a Ventures tribute act - maybe both groups took inspiration from Buddy Holly and the Crickets and other US acts of the 50s such as Duane Eddy.   

Cliff Richard and the Shadows were successful worldwide but especially in the UK (except in the US) whereas the Ventures were successful more in the US as you said. 

Like The Beatles, they were a sh*t hot rock and roll band - there is a lot of power in those early live performances. 

The Ventures and The Shadows covered each other's major hits. 

Edited by drTStingray
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, drTStingray said:

The Ventures' big hit, Walk Don't Run was released in June 1960 - The Shadows' first solo hit, Apache was recorded in June 1960 and released just after. 

However the Shadows were also Cliff Richard's band before that - and also after - making famous films as well as records with him whilst concurrently doing hit instrumentals. So most certainly not a Ventures tribute act - maybe both groups took inspiration from Buddy Holly and the Crickets and other US acts of the 50s such as Duane Eddy.   

Cliff Richard and the Shadows were successful worldwide but especially in the UK (except in the US) whereas the Ventures were successful more in the US as you said. 

Like The Beatles, they were a sh*t hot rock and roll band - there is a lot of power in those early live performances. 

The Ventures and The Shadows covered each other's major hits. 

Thanks, nice potted history. And yes, great Rock & Roll band - Move It is woefully under appreciated.

1 hour ago, Mykesbass said:

Move It is woefully under appreciated.

not sure it is, widely regarded as the best (up to that time anyway) British made Rock n Roll record, and could be argued, the last good record Cliff made 😊

Edited by PaulWarning

Move It is certainly a great and very powerful rock and roll song - one of the true classics in my view - but there are a lot of great rocking songs after that. Surprisingly The Shadows didn't play on the original recording of Move It - recorded in 1958 - I would guess they joined together initially as a live performance act straight after but became part of the recording and in quite a few instances, writing team. Like most bands of the time, they performed really good cover versions of the likes of Willie and the Hand Jive etc etc. I always particularly liked their version of Mean Woman Blues (having spent a few years playing in a tribute act)! 

You can see why they influenced every young aspiring UK rock and roll musician/band of the time (including The Beatles). 

Edited by drTStingray

1 hour ago, drTStingray said:

Move It is certainly a great and very powerful rock and roll song - one of the true classics in my view - but there are a lot of great rocking songs after that. Surprisingly The Shadows didn't play on the original recording of Move It - recorded in 1958 - I would guess they joined together initially as a live performance act straight after but became part of the recording and in quite a few instances, writing team. Like most bands of the time, they performed really good cover versions of the likes of Willie and the Hand Jive etc etc. I always particularly liked their version of Mean Woman Blues (having spent a few years playing in a tribute act)! 

You can see why they influenced every young aspiring UK rock and roll musician/band of the time (including The Beatles). 

Good article about it here.

https://www.soundonsound.com/techniques/classic-tracks-cliff-richard-move-it

3 hours ago, PaulWarning said:

not sure it is, widely regarded as the best (up to that time anyway) British made Rock n Roll record, and could be argued, the last good record Cliff made 😊

The former only by the cogniscenti  - don't think it gets much of a look in on radio or non- rock & roll covers bands. The latter, well, yes, but doesn't say much does it 😁

4 hours ago, PaulWarning said:

Not knocking Move It but the great British self-written Rock 'n' Roll album is Billy Fury's The Sound of Fury.

6 hours ago, Mykesbass said:

The former only by the cogniscenti  - don't think it gets much of a look in on radio or non- rock & roll covers bands. The latter, well, yes, but doesn't say much does it 😁

To be honest neither does a lot of music from that era - as another example, when did you last hear Johnny B Goode on the radio? I'll bet you've heard a few pub bands do it though! 

1 hour ago, drTStingray said:

To be honest neither does a lot of music from that era - as another example, when did you last hear Johnny B Goode on the radio? I'll bet you've heard a few pub bands do it though! 

There was an amazing station in France - Radio Nostalgie that played Abba followed by Johnny Halliday followed by Little Richard followed by Edith Piaf. Probably the last time I heard Move It on the radio, three years ago on holiday!

Oldies show here - Absolute, Planet Rock etc play the most limited range. It's such a disappointment.

Edited by Mykesbass
Shocking spelling!
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Mykesbass said:

There was an amazing station in France - Radio Nostalgie that played Abba followed by Johnny Halliday followed by Little Richard followed by Edith Piaf. Probably the last time I heard Move It on the radio, three years ago on holiday!

Oldies show here - Absolute, Planet Rock etc play the most limited range. It's such a dissapointment.

know what you mean, all the songs in the world, even within a certain genre, and they keep playing the same ones. I've all but given up with the radio since I got a different car that blue tooth's to my phone that has all my music on it, keep it on shuffle, job done

11 hours ago, PaulWarning said:

I might have to argue there . What about proto sk8ter boy classic 'Wired for Sound'? 

43 minutes ago, Mykesbass said:

Oldies show here - Absolute, Planet Rock etc play the most limited range. It's such a dissapointment.

The Arrow is slightly better - broader range of stuff and a longer list although no heavy rock to speak of.