Why become a member? ×

Paul McCartney: Overrated or What?

Fionn

24 minutes ago, Bluewine said:

I'm a 66 year old Beatles fanatic. However if I've learned anything from this forum it's how popular The Shadows were in England.

We knew about The Shadows here in the States but I guess there wasn't room for them and The Beatles.

Blue

Funnily enough, both groups were signed to EMI and recorded most of their output at Abbey Road Studios in London

14 hours ago, Bluewine said:

I'm a 66 year old Beatles fanatic. However if I've learned anything from this forum it's how popular The Shadows were in England.

We knew about The Shadows here in the States but I guess there wasn't room for them and The Beatles.

Blue

The Shadows heyday pre dated the Beatles slightly. And they were mostly instrumentals. Wonderful Land still touches part of me most instrumentals cant find.

No, not overrated at all, not meaning to be rude but it boggles my mind that you dont hear any innovation or imagination, I think maybe you have not heard much Beatles material or just heard the small handful of Beatles songs that appear on radio and tv.

I would suggest the following as great examples of Mccartney's melodic genius with his bass playing, please note this is just a few that come to mind , there are many more examples...   Something, Hey Bulldog, With a little help (from my friends), Rain ,

These are all lines where he could have played it very straight but chose not too, on Something he uses the bass as a melodic instrument and uses a great inventive counterpoint line to really enhance the song and emphasize certain important parts of the song, on Hey bulldog his bass really drives the song creating a great sense of urgency and energy within the song whilst also being very melodic,  on With a little help (from my friends) the guitar work is very sparse and leaves a lot of room for the bass which Mccartney uses to enhance the song with his great melodic bass part which adds melody during the verse and drives the song during the chorus, Rain is another great one where Mccartneys bass really drives the song and brings it too life.

McCartney along with Jamerson really expanded the role of the bass within music and changed the way that people played and thought about bass, people realised that they no longer had to ride the root notes if they didn't want to do that, they realised that you could have the bass feature prominently in music and you didn't have to be buried in the mix.

• Like 3

I would say at some level we're all influenced by McCartney whether we know it or not,  whether we accept it or not.The chain is always going to lead back to McCartney in my opinion.

In the States most of us weren't thinking about the electric bass guitar until we saw McCartney in 1964. As a matter of fact we didn't know what an electric bass guitar was.

Blue

Edited by Bluewine
  • Like 2

On 16/03/2019 at 10:27, EssentialTension said:

... and here's an example of that:

I forgot all about that era. When people mention McCartney i automatically think Beatles mode but his material from Wings era was simply phenomenal in my opinion. For me McCartney was at his peak with Wings.

And that bass line is just so nice in that song and like someone says 1st time i've heard a Ric sounding that good.

• Like 1

IN a nutshell ... He has more money from playing his bass than anyone else on the planet.

what else do you need to know ?

weather you like him or not does not matter, the fact that you started a thread about him DOES !... what helps make him great is people like you that have obviously listened to his stuff and formed an opinion good or bad, strong enough to open a conversation about him, and so his name will once again be talked about by people who may not have given him a second thought but felt a need to just reply to this thread. You have updated and continued the  legasey. 

Even if you do not like him as a player, he would probley thank you for this. As you have just made him that little bit greater :-) 

me ? I like him, the fact I find his lines easy to play means I have learned them, say no more.

2 hours ago, Bluewine said:

I would say at some level we're all influenced by McCartney whether we know it or not,  whether we accept it or not.

This is right. 99% of the music recorded in the last 60 years will contain influences from a very select few writers including Lennon and McCartney.

I think it was Lamont Dozier who said that when he went home in the evening he didn't listen to Motown, he listened to the Beatles, and they inspired him to be a better song writer. Brian Wilson of the Beach Boys said he was in a "creativity battle" with the Beatles, which he though he had won with Pet Sounds, but admitted he'd lost when he heard Sgt Pepper. Simon and Garfunkel though their writing and records were in direct competition with the Beatles.

It was a "creativity" battle and the top songwriters of the day were listening to each other and being driven to be better. At that time the only guy who was influencing everyone and probably wasn't being influenced himself, was Bob Dylan.

A switch flipped around 1966 which energised rhythm sections to be more independently creative. McCartney and Ringo were at the forefront of that. If your preference is playing music created in the West, ie Europe and US, your playing has a direct line of influence going back to a few players in the mid 60's.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, chris_b said:

This is right. 99% of the music recorded in the last 60 years will contain influences from a very select few writers including Lennon and McCartney.

I think it was Lamont Dozier who said that when he went home in the evening he didn't listen to Motown, he listened to the Beatles, and they inspired him to be a better song writer. Brian Wilson of the Beach Boys said he was in a "creativity battle" with the Beatles, which he though he had won with Pet Sounds, but admitted he'd lost when he heard Sgt Pepper. Simon and Garfunkel though their writing and records were in direct competition with the Beatles.

It was a "creativity" battle and the top songwriters of the day were listening to each other and being driven to be better. At that time the only guy who was influencing everyone and probably wasn't being influenced himself, was Bob Dylan.

A switch flipped around 1966 which energised rhythm sections to be more independently creative. McCartney and Ringo were at the forefront of that. If your preference is playing music created in the West, ie Europe and US, your playing has a direct line of influence going back to a few players in the mid 60's.

Very eloquently put, Chris. And so true regarding Dylan.. 

And, yes, if we play electric guitars and keyboards in what you could loosely call a 'rock & roll band', then we're all influenced by a small and very select group of genuine innovators. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, funkgod said:

IN a nutshell ... He has more money from playing his bass than anyone else on the planet.

More money from playing bass and even more money from being one of the most prolific song writers of our time. No other bass player has Paul's credentials.

Blue

7 hours ago, chris_b said:

Yup to all that.

Excellent commentary Chris B.

Blue

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Bluewine said:

I would say at some level we're all influenced by McCartney whether we know it or not,  whether we accept it or not.The chain is always going to lead back to McCartney in my opinion.

Blue

I know I am, Blue, even though many of my fellow punkers may disapprove of such sentiments. His use of filling in and dropping lower on passages is something I incorporate into my playing. 

• Like 2

On 24/03/2019 at 11:57, chris_b said:

If you read Bob's autobiography you'll find that even he was hugely influenced by his forebears and peers, notably Woodie Guthrie,and Odetta from the folk canon but also rock and roll performers like elvis and little richard.  

He really did bring bass out of the shadows ,his melodic bass lines are spot on ,not forgetting the likes of jack Bruce ,john the ox entwistle .all superb at what they did for bass ,and macca still loves what he does you can see it on his face he not doing it for money  👌

Edited by kevvo66

He really did bring bass out of the shadows ,his melodic bass lines are spot on ,not forgetting the likes of jack Bruce ,john the ox entwistle .all superb at what they did for bass ,and macca still loves what he does you can see it on his face 👌