Why become a member? ×

Paul McCartney: Overrated or What?

Fionn

3 hours ago, drTStingray said:

The popular information (all approximate, gleaned from people far more knowledgable on these things than me):-

Besson/Framus - till late 1959

Sunburst Precision - late 1959 to early 1961

Fiesta Red Precision (with JH initials stuck on the body) - circa March 1961 to circa May 1963 (Jet Harris and then Brian Locking)

May 1963 to late 1963 - White Precision (Brian Locking and then John Rostill).

From 1964 - White Burns (John Rostill). 

The three matching rosewood board FR and white instruments were part of endorsement deals along with amps etc. NB the original FR Strat imported by Cliff Richard for Hank Marvin, which appeared in mid 1959 was replaced by a rosewood board one from 1961 and given back to Cliff - who had it resprayed white - apparently had cosmetic damage to the paint.  The basses appeared with the bassists in the feature films (such as Summer Holiday) and promotion for single releases etc (eg white instruments for the single Atlantis) as well as in live performances and the many TV appearances. 

Very good and here are some pics ...

Jet%20with%20Weill.jpg

3 minutes ago, Iacopo San said:

Are we actually discussing the possibility of McCartney being overrated? ...

It happens every few months ... even though it's pretty much impossible to overrate him.

But some people confuse personally liking or disliking something or somebody with that thing or person being good or not musically.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Happy Jack said:

There's also a substantial element of each generation thinking that it invented sex'n'drugs'rock'n'roll and being desperate to avoid accepting that everything in their lives was actually created by their grandparents.

Not sure about today’s music Jack, it’s so safe and insipid I think my great grandparents invented it.

• Haha 3

5 minutes ago, Lozz196 said:

Not sure about today’s music Jack, it’s so safe and insipid I think my great grandparents invented it.

There's all sorts of unsafe and sipid music produced by every generation... You may not like it, but that's the point, isn't it?

Try these for a start:

http://girlband.ie/

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

16 minutes ago, Geek99 said:

Or was it ? Hmm....

Not wanting to open any cans of worms, but she also seems to think she played bass on The Four Tops - Bernadette.

Although to be fair, she doesn't exactly state that she's talking about the 1967 hit single version! ...

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Ricky 4000 said:

Not wanting to open any cans of worms, but she also seems to think she played bass on The Four Tops - Bernadette.

Although to be fair, she doesn't exactly state that she's talking about the 1967 hit single version! ...

Nah....deffo Jamerson you can tell, there was only one Jamerson the King of the Bass.

12 hours ago, Ricky 4000 said:

She claims a lot of things but the other protagonists are dead and no one kept any records anyway. I take her claims with a pinch of salt for these reasons and I would say the same about Babbitts claims or those of anyone else active at the time, hence my irony

2 hours ago, Geek99 said:

She claims a lot of things but the other protagonists are dead and no one kept any records anyway. I take her claims with a pinch of salt for these reasons and I would say the same about Babbitts claims or those of anyone else active at the time, hence my irony

What claims did Bob Babbit make ?

19 hours ago, EssentialTension said:

It happens every few months ... even though it's pretty much impossible to overrate him.

But some people confuse personally liking or disliking something or somebody with that thing or person being good or not musically.

Personally, I dislike the material he's produced post-Beatles, and generally prefer Lennon's contributions in the Beatles. But as a bassist, his influence was significant, and obviously many people disagree with my opinions because "Mull of Kintyre", "Pipes of Peace", and "The Frog Chorus" were all hits, to name but three songs that he perpetrated.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, lowdown said:

What claims did Bob Babbit make ?

Read his website. Jamerson claimed Cool Jerk and it was actually Babbitt on bass.

Apparently Berry Gordy was a tricky character. Most Motown sessions were documented but some are a little sketchy. Some of the recordings made in LA were Motown masters, but were overdubbed etc in Detroit. Back then a song could have been recorded multiple times, for the single, album or film and many artists would cover the same songs. It is possible that many of these songs would have been recoded in separate sessions and vocals added later. Also the LA guys made demos for Motown. They got paid less because it was a demo, but because these guys were so good the demos had the quality of masters and some of the session guys in LA claimed that their demo sessions were actually used as masters. 

It's not an exactly clear picture, then add in the AFM Special Payments Fund rules that gave session guys a cut of the "mechanical royalties" of the songs they played on. In typical style the session guys were screwed over, because they were made to claim the sessions they were on and were not given very long to do it. Some had the lists of sessions but wouldn't have known what happened to those songs after they laid the tracks down. It was,  and still is, a mess.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, chris_b said:

Read his website. Jamerson claimed Cool Jerk and it was actually Babbitt on bass.

So Jamerson made a claim, not Babbitt then? I was asking Geek99 what Bob Babbitt had claimed.

So far, the only reply to that was, PPI. Which might well have been the only realistic claim so far in all this 

:D

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, lowdown said:

So Jamerson made a claim, not Babbitt then? I was asking Geek99 what Bob Babbitt had claimed.

So far, the only reply to that was, PPI. Which might well have been the only realistic claim so far in all this 

:D

It was a little clumsily phrased - I referred to Babbitt and should have said “those players from that time” as no one really knows and even Babbitt and Jameson disagreed when listening to a record together whose take had been used. That was shortly after recording - imagine what havoc time wreaked on the memory of all involved

babbit related this incident himself so I would suggest that he was in fact claiming it. I would agree he was less vocal than some 

• Like 1

On ‎16‎/‎03‎/‎2019 at 11:14, Bassassin said:

And Entwistle (a big influence of mine when I first picked up a bass) claimed McCartney as an influence. So it goes on...

Chris Squire too, and Chris is my favourite bassist. I was a huge fan of the Beatles as a kid and I believe that subliminally influenced the way I played when I started playing bass. Stuff like Penny Lane would be my default setting for bass playing in a song. And if 'Something' is showing off, then count me a show off. Counter-melodies are where it's at for me. 

• Like 5

5 minutes ago, jacko said:

found the time to listen to abbey road yesterday for the first time in ages and 'Something' has a quite wonderful bassline (although come together has been, and still is, my favourite from that album)

Only recently found out the bass parts on Maxwells Hammer and Golden Slumbers were played by George Harrison.

4 hours ago, Geek99 said:

She had some cool shades though.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, 4000 said:

Chris Squire too, and Chris is my favourite bassist. I was a huge fan of the Beatles as a kid and I believe that subliminally influenced the way I played when I started playing bass. Stuff like Penny Lane would be my default setting for bass playing in a song. And if 'Something' is showing off, then count me a show off. Counter-melodies are where it's at for me. 

I've said on occasion that Squire was just McCartney with the treble turned up.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2