Why become a member? ×

Jaydee Basses

joe_geezer

I think sticking to an original design which works is a good thing. There is no denying where it came from. Getting something which is not run of the mill but that also is not "did they design that in the dark?" is a fine line. And this is on the good side. And painting it blue makes it proper lush

• Like 3

It would be incredibly rude of me not to contribute something to this thread...

This is John's "Infinity" Custom GA24 that he made for me - over a period of about 18-months - in 2000/2001. I've owned at least 6 other JD's through the years'...

She is 20 years' old this year - and still plays as well as she did when I first brought her home. This may sound a little strange... but you cannot "slap" her. I kid you not!!

The on board pre-amp has an added "presence" boost control, for extra bottom end; and the truss rod's (as far as I know) are made of graphite - rock solid sh*t.

Thank you J.D.  More Jaydee Basses on my Pinterest here:- https://www.pinterest.co.uk/Simon08edward/jaydee-bass/

image.png.94484f48c7ce590177bd14ae921a6af0.png

• Like 5

1 hour ago, SimonEdward said:

It would be incredibly rude of me not to contribute something to this thread...

This is John's "Infinity" Custom GA24 that he made for me - over a period of about 18-months - in 2000/2001. I've owned at least 6 other JD's through the years'...

She is 20 years' old this year - and still plays as well as she did when I first brought her home. This may sound a little strange... but you cannot "slap" her. I kid you not!!

The on board pre-amp has an added "presence" boost control, for extra bottom end; and the truss rod's (as far as I know) are made of graphite - rock solid sh*t.

Thank you J.D.  More Jaydee Basses on my Pinterest here:- https://www.pinterest.co.uk/Simon08edward/jaydee-bass/

image.png.94484f48c7ce590177bd14ae921a6af0.png

Amazing bass! Are the GA24's the same body size as series 3s?

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Reggaebass said:

This one looks fantastic, I’ve seen it on Google I think, what model is it 🙂

0AFDC150-D91F-45D8-B620-4D6CBDBDF5AB.jpeg

I've tracked this Bass down on Instagram.. and I'm pretty sure it belongs to a Bass player in Brazil - who tours Europe occasionally with a Band (not since late 2019 though!). Many of the Basses that J.D. (John, Mike, Andy and Toby) produce are custom spec; and within reason, you can have what you're prepared to pay - and wait - for.. & there's a long queue... 

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, joe_geezer said:

Amazing bass! Are the GA24's the same body size as series 3s?

There's not too much difference in body size, between many of the models *except the Series 1 and the "Roadie" range - a favourite of mine. But obviously, the tail piece on the "George Anderson" is a cool feature. The "tear drop" string anchors are from the discontinued Calibas Bass, which spawned many high-end custom design ideas/features and Basses... 

On 19/11/2021 at 15:03, joe_geezer said:

Could i disagree on not updating the design... I love how Jaydee and Wal have maintained their brand and designs , they have included new designs like the series 3.

I really dislike all the new status basses and prefer the original series 2.

Also, look at fender, alembic etc most bass guitar brand dont update their classic original designs - thank god!

No, but they could add some new designs to the mix. I'm not suggesting Jaydee do away with the Supernatural range at all. As I'd never suggest Wal ditch the Mk1/2/3 or Status ditch their classic designs, and so on. 

The world of custom basses has moved on a bit in the past 30 years since Jaydee last launched a new design. People want better balance, lighter instruments, prettier woods and more tonal options these days. Even Alembic, who Jaydee obviously took some early inspiration from, have released the Balance-K bodystyle, refined their electronics and started offering chambered or more lightweight instruments, while still providing all their traditional options. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Russ said:

No, but they could add some new designs to the mix. I'm not suggesting Jaydee do away with the Supernatural range at all. As I'd never suggest Wal ditch the Mk1/2/3 or Status ditch their classic designs, and so on. 

The world of custom basses has moved on a bit in the past 30 years since Jaydee last launched a new design. People want better balance, lighter instruments, prettier woods and more tonal options these days. Even Alembic, who Jaydee obviously took some early inspiration from, have released the Balance-K bodystyle, refined their electronics and started offering chambered or more lightweight instruments, while still providing all their traditional options. 

I don't disagree in principal, but if Jaydee already have a long waiting list for their standard designs I don't imagine they'd be looking to change things up. 

• Like 3

On 20/11/2021 at 05:04, SimonEdward said:

There's not too much difference in body size, between many of the models *except the Series 1 and the "Roadie" range - a favourite of mine. But obviously, the tail piece on the "George Anderson" is a cool feature. The "tear drop" string anchors are from the discontinued Calibas Bass, which spawned many high-end custom design ideas/features and Basses... 

I think the Calibas (the regular one, not the Supernatural) is one of the designs that should be revisited - a modern take on the Calibas could make a big dent in the market for Jazz-style custom instruments if done right. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Russ said:

I think the Calibas (the regular one, not the Supernatural) is one of the designs that should be revisited - a modern take on the Calibas could make a big dent in the market for Jazz-style custom instruments if done right. 

There is  no indication that that is going to happen. They designed the Celiste and Calabas basses that were a departure, available in 5 and 6 string configurations and in their wisdom, have put them into retirement some time ago, sticking to the trusted  designs that put them on the map in the first place. Jaydee are clearly not looking to put a dent in the market, because from a business perspective they have little need to. They are obviously trying to keep the business small, but busy and profitable. Obviously they are  succeeding, if their long waiting list is anything to go by. They have been around for many years, when others have folded up their tent and moved on. If a player feels a Jaydee does not meet their requirements, then there are other options a plenty. 

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Sonic_Groove said:
1 hour ago, Russ said:

Calibas could make a big dent in the market for Jazz-style custom instruments

Think You mean the Celeste not the Calibas. But as others have said it's a small workshop not a factory they are fully busy already.

Yes, you're right. Getting my model names mixed up. :)

1 hour ago, leroydiamond said:

There is  no indication that that is going to happen. They designed the Celiste and Calabas basses that were a departure, available in 5 and 6 string configurations and in their wisdom, have put them into retirement some time ago, sticking to the trusted  designs that put them on the map in the first place. Jaydee are clearly not looking to put a dent in the market, because from a business perspective they have little need to. They are obviously trying to keep the business small, but busy and profitable. Obviously they are  succeeding, if their long waiting list is anything to go by. They have been around for many years, when others have folded up their tent and moved on. If a player feels a Jaydee does not meet their requirements, then there are other options a plenty. 

I'm talking mostly from my perspective - the first high-end custom bass I ever played was a Supernatural, and I have a lot of affection for them. But my needs as a player are different these days, and it'd be nice to think that Jaydee might have something that would fit my needs. Unfortunately, right now they don't. I just wish they did. 

17 minutes ago, Russ said:

I'm talking mostly from my perspective - the first high-end custom bass I ever played was a Supernatural, and I have a lot of affection for them. But my needs as a player are different these days, and it'd be nice to think that Jaydee might have something that would fit my needs. Unfortunately, right now they don't. I just wish they did. 

Why not get in touch and see can they accommodate you?. Maybe they could custom build you a Calibas and you could add your spec to it?. 

1 hour ago, Russ said:

What aspects do you require from Jaydee that another bass builder can't provide? Without sounding abrasive, if it's just having the Jaydee logo on the headstock then you could look into many other bass makers that im sure would satisfy your build requirements. 

Jaydee's (as you know), have a very distinctive look with which they have successfully carved out a niche market with, the set neck construction, distinctive headstock, wood pickup covers, the bright middle punchy preamps are all mainstays and to update them just to please a few niche customers would probably loose them a lot of business. 

If it's the set neck construction, then you might find it difficult to find another bass maker, i can only think of Larkin (Rip), Rickenbecker or Guild Pilot basses.

As mentioned they offer an updated version of the line with the tear drop bridge shape, exotic wood tops & slightly angled body shape, which i think is more of a custom order.

Also, still on the topic, i love the old status series 2 basses & was gutted that i missed out on the recent anniversary models , also they were quite expensive. Looking on their site, there's nothing that comes close to their classic designs, i really dont like the modern separate bridge style, newer body shapes, even the logo.  Im sure they are still wonderful playing and sounding basses but just not my thing.

Edited by joe_geezer
status basses
  • Like 2

Just before lockdown I had a afternoon off ,after lusting for a jd for many years and seemly missing out on second hand ones coming up for sale and missing out by a whisker on a number of times , I gave them a call at jd and ask if it was possible to build me not one but two jd s very cheek I know . But if you don’t ask … spoke to Andy and said he would put me on up and coming list , so a big yes , bought the t shirts but unfortunately due to COVID things not. Happen , will give them a call tomorrow to see if I can get order back on track ,will I ever get my dream basses , going to give it my best shot keep you posted , 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, joe_geezer said:

What aspects do you require from Jaydee that another bass builder can't provide? Without sounding abrasive, if it's just having the Jaydee logo on the headstock then you could look into many other bass makers that im sure would satisfy your build requirements. 

Jaydee's (as you know), have a very distinctive look with which they have successfully carved out a niche market with, the set neck construction, distinctive headstock, wood pickup covers, the bright middle punchy preamps are all mainstays and to update them just to please a few niche customers would probably loose them a lot of business. 

If it's the set neck construction, then you might find it difficult to find another bass maker, i can only think of Larkin (Rip), Rickenbecker or Guild Pilot basses.

As mentioned they offer an updated version of the line with the tear drop bridge shape, exotic wood tops & slightly angled body shape, which i think is more of a custom order.

Also, still on the topic, i love the old status series 2 basses & was gutted that i missed out on the recent anniversary models , also they were quite expensive. Looking on their site, there's nothing that comes close to their classic designs, i really dont like the modern separate bridge style, newer body shapes, even the logo.  Im sure they are still wonderful playing and sounding basses but just not my thing.

Already have done. I've had several custom Seis over the years and I'm planning on getting two more soon. 

I've always been quite fond of Jaydee's electronics though - they have a particular midrange "snarl" that you don't really hear elsewhere. It's quite an "1980s" sound, hence probably quite unfashionable amongst many these days. Probably a combination of their pickups/circuit and the largely mahogany construction.

As I alluded to, I'd ideally like something lighter and better balanced. Every Jaydee I've ever played has been over 10lbs, with chronic neck dive. My ageing back can't support basses like that anymore! :)

As for Status, I think all the changes they've made are for the better. And the S2-Classic is more or less exactly the same outline as the originals, with slightly different body contouring. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, joe_geezer said:

Rics are through necks, not set necks (apart from the 3001, which is a bolt-on).

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Russ said:

Already have done. I've had several custom Seis over the years and I'm planning on getting two more soon. 

I've always been quite fond of Jaydee's electronics though - they have a particular midrange "snarl" that you don't really hear elsewhere. It's quite an "1980s" sound, hence probably quite unfashionable amongst many these days. Probably a combination of their pickups/circuit and the largely mahogany construction.

As I alluded to, I'd ideally like something lighter and better balanced. Every Jaydee I've ever played has been over 10lbs, with chronic neck dive. My ageing back can't support basses like that anymore! :)

As for Status, I think all the changes they've made are for the better. And the S2-Classic is more or less exactly the same outline as the originals, with slightly different body contouring. 

• Like 1

Just now, P j said:

I think I just like the sound , but most of all I think people do get caught up in the mk moment and I guess I am one of those as I am a big admirer of his talent , however I think theres some much available now in the bass world that sound and feel amazing to play , hence people say you can’t beat a rolls Royce for build comfort but that’s not necessary the case in todays world . But it’s nice to sometimes venture back and capture sounds of old the smooth quality or players ability to change the dynamics, but I guess I would still like one to get it out of my system , but like so many people regret when they sell jd on just get sellers remorse , heavy / sound / mk/ looks it just has a special place I think rgds pj 

16 minutes ago, RhysP said:

Rics are through necks, not set necks (apart from the 3001, which is a bolt-on).

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Russ said:

Every Jaydee I've ever played has been over 10lbs, with chronic neck dive. My ageing back can't support basses like that anymore! :)

Oh Yeah agree with that. I will sign Your change.org petition to get JD to make a 6 string Calibas that weighs 3.5 kilos LOL 😄 That would be very nice...

• Like 1

16 hours ago, P j said:

Just before lockdown I had a afternoon off ,after lusting for a jd for many years and seemly missing out on second hand ones coming up for sale and missing out by a whisker on a number of times , I gave them a call at jd and ask if it was possible to build me not one but two jd s very cheek I know . But if you don’t ask … spoke to Andy and said he would put me on up and coming list , so a big yes , bought the t shirts but unfortunately due to COVID things not. Happen , will give them a call tomorrow to see if I can get order back on track ,will I ever get my dream basses , going to give it my best shot keep you posted , 

Out of interest, which models are you interested in ordering?

1 hour ago, Sonic_Groove said:

Oh Yeah agree with that. I will sign Your change.org petition to get JD to make a 6 string Calibas that weighs 3.5 kilos LOL 😄 That would be very nice...

Exactly! All my status basses have been on the heavy side, obviously no neck dive but i was surprised that graphite / woven carbon can be actually heavier than wood

• Like 1