Why become a member? ×

Double bass rockabilly style A string recommendations

MuckleGazza

Hello!

I have been using a set of Rotosound RS4000's for some time on my upright to play a mix of rockabilly slap and folk/ bules stuff on.  I love them for the volume and the gain I can get out of them from my pickup system.  However, I have always found the A-string to be to clanky when slapped.

Does anyone have any recommendations what to replace the one string with?  It still needs to have a descent amount of sustain but sound something similar to the D and G strings of the RS4000 set.

Thanks!

I might be wrong but I think you would struggle to find an A in a similar material to the D&G of the Rs4000. Does the A sound too metallic/harsh when slapped?

It might be easier to change the whole set eg Innovations.

I suggested this as this was the route I took from the Rs4000’s.

Its an expensive undertaking though.

• Like 1

Thanks for the advice Paddy!

Think I'm delaying the inevitable but yea, it's just to harsh and metallic.  Having to adjust my technique for just one string is a bit of a pain.

Do you find you get descent for sustain from the Innovations? As in when not being slapped and plucked instead?

Thanks again.

I tried all different options from metal, gut, weed whackers, pretend guts, rs4000 (which felt like two different sets of strings),  bumping stings and anything in between. All had merits and downfalls. A lot of money spent but I would often pick up used sets, which do appear on this site. This will save a bundle and you get back what you pay it you don’t like them.

I also tried a few options from the Innovation range and settled with the Silver Slaps as my preference. There’s a fair sustain from the Innovations and not too harsh on the slap. They lasted and absolute age as well. Innovation may have other sets available now as this was a couple of years ago and I now just play bass guitar.

The above was my journey and my preference - others may have differing opinions. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Hi @MuckleGazza - only just spotted this thread, so sorry to be a late joiner
Did you try a Silver Slap A string? Just wondered how they compared? Is the sound fairly even / consistent across all the strings?

I use Silver Slaps (Well, Gold Slaps to be precise - but they are apparently the same, apart from the colour!) Just wondering how they compare
And would you be better off using the whole set of Innovations, rather than mixing the string types?

Hope you sorted it and got the sound you want :)

• 4 weeks later...

I have the E and A from the Pirastro Slap set to go with the D and G from the Superior Bass Dirty Gut strings. Dirty guts lacked definition in the E and A for me but the Pirastro Slap strings have been amazing. (I only really play Jazz, Latin, Rock and Roll and Rockabilly stuff on the upright mind). Really want to check out the gut or synthetic D and G one day... Any one tried the gut stings from this set? Whats the life expectancy like?I have the E and A from the Pirastro Slap set to go with the D and G from the Superior Bass Dirty Gut strings. Dirty guts lacked definition in the E and A for me but the Pirastro Slap strings have been amazing. (I only really play Jazz, Latin, Rock and Roll and Rockabilly stuff on the upright mind). Really want to check out the gut or synthetic D and G one day... Any one tried the gut stings from this set? Whats the life expectancy like?