Why become a member? ×

HiBeams vs NYXL tension?

project_c

Wondering how much difference there is in tension between HiBeams and D'Addario NYXL's, I have a jazz wearing dead NYXL's and I might need to put HiBeams on it tomorrow. My tools are stashed away in storage so I don't want to change the setup if I can avoid it, I'm thinking they're about the same tension, does anyone know if there's much difference between them? 

• 2 weeks later...
Guest ixlramp

This depends on what gauges both sets are, obviously. If they are the same gauges then they will be similar tensions (although tension for a particular gauge does vary a little between brands and string lines).

However even if the tensions are similar you will very probably need to tweak the setup in other ways: action and intonation.

Thanks, I found some NYXL’s in the end so just stayed with them. They’re kind of similar to HiBeams in tone and feel when they’re new, but when they die they really do die. HiBeams have a nice character even when they’re dead, I can keep them on for months past their prime. 

(also if you’re having building work done, remember to put your basses away.. the excessive dust destroys roundwound strings real quick, I made the mistake of leaving a bass out for a night when we were having a bathroom re-built, the next day it sounded like a rusty tin can..).