Why become a member? ×

Orange OB1-500 noise/hum/crackling issue

ayecurumba

Hi everybody,

I purchased an Orange OB1-500 second hand at the end of last year and so far have been extremely happy with it. However, it has recently developed an issue that has both myself and my local tech scratching our heads. When the amp is plugged into a speaker cabinet with no instrument plugged in, there is a loud hum coming through the speakers. When the amp is touched or moved slightly there is loud crackling. I have tried different leads, different plug sockets, different buildings/rooms and still the problem persists. My local tech thought he had solved the issue by replacing a potentially troublesome dry solder joint, however this did not rectify the issue. 

I'm at my wits end with it if I'm honest and it's such a shame as it's a great amp. I have so far not found any other owners of this amp who have any similar issues and I've never before had an issue with an Orange amp. My knowledge of electronics is pretty limited so I'm hoping that someone here may be able to offer any thoughts or advice on this? Could it be that something inside the amp is touching the chassis? 

Thanks in advance. 

If I had to take a guess then I'd say the hum could be a poor earth connection or one of the PSU decoupling capacitors drying out - they can sometimes be identified by looking for the plastic sleeving shrinking back from the end.  The crackling does sound like a dry joint - tapping around gently with a plastic chopstick or similar (keeps hands away from live parts) could help in identifying where it is.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...