Why become a member? ×

The Earplugs Discussion

Skybone

Been using the ACS ER20's for years, but recently bought some new ones, and they've changed the design to a silicon plug with no stem. Not convinced they'll do the job as well as the old one's, but I'll give them a go.

Been considering some moulded plugs for years, but never been convinced about the attenuation levels, though I see that ACS are now doing some with a 27dB filter.

What do you prefer?

Custom moulded or off the shelf?

Etc.

I've tried custom, never really got on with them, felt isolated, when I lost one I went back to various off the shelf ones, they're a lot easier to take in and out and I do regular hearing checks and my hearings not got any worse, in fact my tinnitus has all but disappeared

Edited by PaulWarning

I've been using ACS moulded plugs for over 10 years and speaking as someone who has buggered their hearing over the previous 40 years I can say I dearly wish I'd found them earlier. They work. My poor damaged hearing has been protected for that time. First I had ER15's and now Pro 17's. If I lost them I'd replace them immediately with more ACS moulded plugs.

You're sticking filters in your ears, so of course they make everything sound different. Apparently the one big thing about going deaf is the isolation you experience, so I don't rate any changes to what I hear through the plugs in a band situation as particularly bad. Basically it goes with the territory. As I found out to my cost, hearing can be fine one day and damaged the next!

My ACS plugs have minimised  the damage and I can still hear everything from a stage whisper to a heavy-hitting drum solo.

• Like 1

I'll jump in, as I have on some similar threads.

I'm a relatively recent convert to ACS Pro 17's, and I also have a set of 26 filters.  Personally the difference between the moulded and generic plugs is massive for me, with the Pro 17s really feeling like just turning the volume down.  I use them every time I play, and also in the audience at gigs, and I can honestly say I've never felt any isolation or disconnection - quite the opposite in fact, because I feel I can hear everything more clearly.  It's increased my enjoyment of going to gigs quite a lot as it clears up some of the general swampiness you often get.

On occasions when we're playing in a pretty confined area and I'm near the drummer I find by the end of the gig I'm feeling that I need a bit more attenuation, hence buying the 26 filters.  The only problem with that is that they're a bit fiddly to change so I only really use them if I know in advance that I'll be in that sort of situation.  I'm seriously thinking of buying another set of the plugs, though, just so that I have the option of swapping quickly if I need.

I'd say don't hesitate, go for it.  Just make sure that your ears are really free from wax before getting the impressions done (I went for microsuction a few days before getting mine) and think about whether you need a mouth open impression if you sing.

4 hours ago, PaulWarning said:

I've tried custom, never really got on with them, felt isolated, when I lost one I went back to various off the shelf ones, they're a lot easier to take in and out and I do regular hearing checks and my hearings not got any worse, in fact my tinnitus has all but disappeared

Really wish my tinnitus would all but disappear, but unfortunately not.

3 hours ago, wateroftyne said:

Lots of thoughts here:

It's that thread that made me want to do a bit more research, and ask what everyone else prefers.