Why become a member? ×

Trading down to a combo - advice appreciated

Storky

44 minutes ago, Storky said:

tried a rumble 500 which was quite impressive, but I’ll have to check out some others. Now going to guitar guitar! 😉

How loud do you need to be?  You'll be giving up something moving from 500W into 2x12 to 350W into 2x10.  

1 hour ago, Beedster said:

Having thought about this, I'm also remembering those times when combos make things safer, for example I've pulled a Speakon/Speakon cable out of my bag to find I've bought my 1x15 which needs a Speakon/Jack. Last week in fact :) 

Haha.  That's happened to me too with the Walkabout.

Another disadvantage of a combo is that it's not as simple to carry a spare amp to a gig.  I always have a spare and it's simple to just swap it if your amp fails and you have seperates.  If a combo amp fails it's not so simple.

There are exceptions of course.  Markbass combos I've owned have a cable from the amp to the speaker making it simple to substitute a spare amp.

Frank.

• Like 1

Frankly, I'd save yourself the legwork and hit BIN (or make a decent Best Offer) on this Walkabout 12", the best bass combo ever made by a long way https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Mesa-Boogie-Walkabout-Combo/233164745491?hash=item3649b3ab13:g:00wAAOSw24hch9tj

I'd be quick as well. If you buy it and don't like it, it will move pretty quickly on BC

Good luck

Chris

1 hour ago, jrixn1 said:

How loud do you need to be?  You'll be giving up something moving from 500W into 2x12 to 350W into 2x10.  

Not massively loud, but I must admit it feels like a backwards step. I’m thinking more about keeping the cabs and just replacing the head....

13 minutes ago, Storky said:

Not massively loud, but I must admit it feels like a backwards step. I’m thinking more about keeping the cabs and just replacing the head....

I'd second what others say and do that. Your Ampeg head is likely not getting the best out of your Vanderkley cabs. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised how much better a new head will sound with them (and you can always take just one for smaller jobs, which will be an easier lift). To get a combo that matches what you use will be pretty expensive - more so than a high quality head. As others suggest, any of the good quality modern lightweight heads will be fine. I compared half a dozen of the popular ones at Bass Direct a couple of years ago and chose an Aguilar AG700, but that was just my preference. I like a sound that leans towards old school, but with plenty of clarity and the AG gave me that. It also does more modern sounds, so it's versatile. Definitely worth trying one with one of your cabs.

2 hours ago, Storky said:

Sensible move. You’ll find it hard to match the quality of your VK cabs with any combo cab.

Just as an fyi, the Markbass AC 121 Lite will put out 500w by itself without an extension cab. 37 lbs. 

11 hours ago, chris_b said:

IMO a one-handed load in is greatly overrated and shouldn't take precedence over a great sound.

Greatly overrated, maybe if you're only going out once a weekend. There's not really any need for that to rule out a great sound either.

Well for better or worse, I’ve bitten the bullet and lashed out on a Mesa Subway D-800 head. I like the idea of a single unit, but this was available at Guitar Guitar and sounded great. I also tried a Mark Bass and the fender Rumble 800 head, which was good, but the Messa had the better sound. It cost quite a bit so I’m hoping it works out when I gig it next week. 🤞

9 hours ago, Storky said:

Well for better or worse, I’ve bitten the bullet and lashed out on a Mesa Subway D-800 head. I like the idea of a single unit, but this was available at Guitar Guitar and sounded great. I also tried a Mark Bass and the fender Rumble 800 head, which was good, but the Messa had the better sound. It cost quite a bit so I’m hoping it works out when I gig it next week. 🤞

Good choice!  You won't be disappointed,  enjoy! 

The price/quality leader IMO is Markbass 121p. It’s loud enough for most gigs on its own and takes another cab. It’s the right size and weight. The Alain Caron etc are great but awkward. The 121 gets everything just right.

i don’t have one - I have the AER AMP THREE. Highly recommended but crazily priced new. Managed to buy one here at sensible money a year or so back. If that had not come my way, I would have had the 121 for sure.

I understand what members are saying about flexibility of head/cab et al but for me, the combo is just a ton more convenient.  I know there is minimal extra effort in head  + cabs, maybe it’s a mindset thing, but my combo gets the gigs.

good luck