Why become a member? ×

New V Old bass value

edstraker123

I spend far too much time trawling ebay looking at basses and guitars so I'm pretty much clued in to the rough value of most things. What puzzles me is why old basses seem to command a premium.

I get it with the 60's and 70's Fenders or if you want an authentic period instrument, but why are people paying top dollar for budget basses that were poor in the 80's and haven't got any better with 40 years of damage ?

Surely the money would be better spent on a new bass which given the vastly improved manufacturing processes and tolerances will play and sound much better ?

Is it just nostalgia ?

Discuss......

2 hours ago, Bassassin said:

Depends which 80s basses you're talking about, and also the (sometimes hilarious) disconnect between what some sellers ask for & what people will actually pay.

By way of an example, I give you:

Fantasy

Reality

From where I'm standing - first one looks half decent, second one looks like a dogs dinner - is that part of the reason for the price differential? Rather like a refin pre CBS compared to one with more originality (incorporating .... aherm - mojo)? 

12 minutes ago, drTStingray said:

From where I'm standing - first one looks half decent, second one looks like a dogs dinner - is that part of the reason for the price differential? Rather like a refin pre CBS compared to one with more originality (incorporating .... aherm - mojo)? 

No - Sunn Mustangs are worth about £60. That's the point.

• Like 1

There's a lot of chancers about. You'll get people selling a "rare" "custom" "handmade" bottom of the range Stagg bass asking for £300 next to the ad for a new one at £99. You'll get people who bought something for a price and want to recover that rather than take a big hit. Then you get chancers assuming someone is as stupid as them. It's not just guitars it's all kinds of stuff where people buy and sell. 

What skews things is when you see top quality German Warwick's struggling to sell for peanuts but bidding on shabby condition Westone Thunders go past £250 it just doesn't seem to stack up to me but I guess there are trends that go around. Link it to fashion, high street shops are selling 90's "look" clothes (they aren't exactly 90's style but inspired by I'd say). Then consider bass buyers, those with a few hundred quid to buy a third or fourth spare bass, are we mostly aged 35+ and so nostalgic about the great basses of the 70's and now 80's? Aria Superbass, headless basses, Precision Elites, etc.

Just my opinion with no actual research except loo breaks spent trawling eBay. 

Things come, things go. 10 years ago I was routinely trading Wal basses with Clarky. He'd buy one, sell it to me. I'd buy one, sell it to him. 

Not one of those trades was valued at more than £2000 and some were sharply cheaper than that.

The same basses now trade in the £3k - £4.5k range. They're the same basses, and the intervening period has (allegedly) been one of austerity and low inflation.

Go figure.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Bassassin said:

No - Sunn Mustangs are worth about £60. That's the point.

Also called Squier II outside of Europe (at least some of them). Half decent basses by all accounts. 

Seriously the first looks ok the second looks hacked about and not as good even allowing for that. Is there not a difference in model or something? £300 does sound a bit steep but then again so do some Squiers. 

I agree regarding Warwicks - especially when you consider the cost of other basses, which are entry standard and very basic in comparison. 

Daft times eh?! 

Edited by drTStingray

5 hours ago, StevieE said:

Why is this? I've been lucky enough to own a few (still have one) and they're really fantastic basses. Is it a style and fashion thing? If so, is the time to buy a future classic? 

No idea but there's an eBay seller has been trying for best part of six months to sell a five string Corvette (lefty) and has dropped to £400, I think he's now opened up to offers. It's a lot of bass for that money, sadly not one that I would play or have room to store just in case I suddenly start to get on with their necks. 

9 hours ago, drTStingray said:

Also called Squier II outside of Europe (at least some of them). Half decent basses by all accounts.

They are - I'm a fan! I've had 3 Indian-made Mustang Strats from my local car boot. Most expensive one was £28, and was a superb player, should never have sold it, particularly since I only got £60 for it!

A guitarist mate has another that I picked up for £5, with a bit of cosmetic water damage. Once it was properly dried out & a bit of lifting lacquer sorted, it was fine, nice player. Gave it to my mate for his birthday!

The reason I chose them was that IMO they're the perfect bargain-basement bass/guitar - and I was gobsmacked to see that one listed for what is absolutely ridiculous money. There is no way on earth he'll get that, no matter how tidy it is. Could've used Westone Thunder 1As to illustrate the point, the Ebayers who list them for £350+ clearly don't check the sold listings, where they typically go for give or take £150, and often a lot less. :)