Why become a member? ×

Duesenberg - any love?

spectoremg

ive picked up a Epiphone Rumblekat because i was interested in a short scale, ive  added a hipshot bridge and some deep talking flats (tuners next)  and im really pleased with it, so easy to play, but im convinced i need a Duesenberg now! but i must admit i cant imagine one would be so much better than the Rumblekat after my mods

6 hours ago, roger said:

ive picked up a Epiphone Rumblekat because i was interested in a short scale, ive  added a hipshot bridge and some deep talking flats (tuners next)  and im really pleased with it, so easy to play, but im convinced i need a Duesenberg now! but i must admit i cant imagine one would be so much better than the Rumblekat after my mods

It wouldn’t...

2 hours ago, Musicman20 said:

They make lovely looking instruments, but as far as I know, they are made in Korea (?!) then shipped to Germany (?) for inspection. You are paying a LOT for a Korean built guitar (they make great guitars btw, but the prices are usually £600-£1000).

I think the majority of the component parts are made abroad then shipped to Germany for assembly with the minimum amount of German made components to legally allow it to be sold as a ‘German’ product.

i think everyone is on the right track, they look lovely but that’s it, certainly the case at their price point.

I have a Starplayer bass, bought second-hand from this forum a few years ago. The list price seems to have gone up quite a bit in the interim.

I'm very happy with it: it's a good-quality instrument which is comfortable to play and has a useful range of sounds, regardless of where it was or wasn't made. The components may have been sourced outside Germany, but they are not cheap. I would say the build and sound quality is on a par with Gretch Electromatic, and considerably better than Fender Coronado reissues and Epiphone.

spectoremg if you are anywhere near Ipswich you are welcome to come and try mine.

19 minutes ago, pete.young said:

I have a Starplayer bass, bought second-hand from this forum a few years ago. The list price seems to have gone up quite a bit in the interim.

I'm very happy with it: it's a good-quality instrument which is comfortable to play and has a useful range of sounds, regardless of where it was or wasn't made. The components may have been sourced outside Germany, but they are not cheap. I would say the build and sound quality is on a par with Gretch Electromatic, and considerably better than Fender Coronado reissues and Epiphone.

spectoremg if you are anywhere near Ipswich you are welcome to come and try mine.

Thanks Pete, sadly I live in the Portsmouth area. 

• 3 weeks later...

They look both lovely and interesting - I had a brief unrequited infatuation with the Motown bass. Our guitar player has several of the six-stringed things and I've had a quick go and they are very good to play. However, apart from that bloke in Tears for Fears, I can't remember any significant players using a Duesenberg bass and if they were that good...

• Like 1

I had a D-Bass for a while, it is their (longscale!) iteration of a P-bass basically. It looked just like this one:

DBass11504187886-856x620.jpg

What I totally love about the Duesenberg instruments is their attention to detail. Nearly every single part is in their Art Deco design, the knobs, the mechanics, especially the pickups look so cool. Also, the shaping of the body was very cool.

My D-Bass had superb action, nice and low without any rattle. The passive controls were quite interesting, besides volume and tone it had a mid shift knob that was advertised to change from P to J. It surely made the sound go from broad P-esque to a more tight sound with more lows and treble. There was a slight difference in volume, but nothing hampering.

It had its own voice, but I never really bonded with the instrument. My Fender just did that P thing better.

• Like 2