Why become a member? ×

Dawsons Music - Warrington closing after 120 years

visog

A 18 year old me went for an interview there in April 2003. 

I left the Manchester shop in 2014.

It was time for me to go, but some great people will be unemployed when they shut the shops.

Think music retail in the traditional sense is over.

26 minutes ago, edstraker123 said:

I've got a bad feeling about Dawsons Liverpool too . I go in there all of the time, the staff are great but there is a stock clearance on at the moment and there just seems like too little gear in there given the size of the store.

Really hope my fear is unfounded.

I think there are new owners - they’re clearing the decks to start again.

David Briggs who employed me (and had owned them since the 70’s) is a true Gentleman, one of the most intimidating yet kind hearted and funny (dry) men I’ve ever met.

His Daughter and Wife are also wonderful people.

I wish them all the best, but the market has evolved without the “shop” model. 

• Like 2

I bought my son his first guitar from the Stockport branch a few years ago - good selection to choose from and super-helpful staff, they even let him use the staff toilet to change his son's nappy! It closed soon after when the rent and rates went up. Sad loss. 

10 minutes ago, josie said:

I bought my son his first guitar from the Stockport branch a few years ago - good selection to choose from and super-helpful staff, they even let him use the staff toilet to change his son's nappy! It closed soon after when the rent and rates went up. Sad loss. 

I started at Stockport, May 2003-August 2003

Whilst I buy most of my music gear online, I have bought a fair amount of stuff from Dawsons Liverpool over the years and would miss them hugely if they closed.

It's not just the cheaper online retailers which are putting the last nails in the high street coffin - it's also forums such as BC where we can look at reviews which help us decide on a bit of gear without the need of a hands on experience. It's just the way of the world these days. It's all about convenience - the internet has made us lazy.

1 hour ago, Barking Spiders said:

Playing guitars etc is mostly an older man's game. 

Agree, a contrast to when we were young and every teenager had a guitar or bass. What will it be like in 25 years? I guess that's the way things go with popular music.

It could be compared to the the piano market(real piano, not "keyboard") that existed for the better part of a century and every home had a piano and kids took piano lessons and the sheet music market flourished. In my part of the world(Canada) lovely pianos are being sold cheaply or given away and it's been like this for years.

Times and tastes change,I'm glad I was around when the guitar boom started in the 60's and I'm still playing, totally changed my life.I have met many fantastic people, including the mother of my son,  while gigging or jamming and hope to continue as long as I can.Still gigging in two bands and in my 73rd year.

Oh, and we "older men" often have a bit more cash to invest in overpriced instruments to support the market. You know how it goes..."now that I have paid off some debts and am a bit more comfortable financially I'm going to buy the (insert toy of choice here) that I always wanted".Been there, done that and I'm still doing it!

Edited by Staggering on

I did not even know there was one in Huddersfield. I have visited the Leeds one (recently doubled in seize) a few times, and the Altrincham one often as it's where my in-laws live.

The Chester one is nice too, sort of rambles over a few mezzanines under a grotty NCP.

8 hours ago, burno70 said:

Whilst I buy most of my music gear online, I have bought a fair amount of stuff from Dawsons Liverpool over the years and would miss them hugely if they closed.

It's not just the cheaper online retailers which are putting the last nails in the high street coffin - it's also forums such as BC where we can look at reviews which help us decide on a bit of gear without the need of a hands on experience. It's just the way of the world these days. It's all about convenience - the internet has made us lazy.

Dawson's were pretty good on price and would generally match any online prices you could find in store. I think the quality of guitars from the big manufacturers  particularly at the lower end has improved exponentially in recent years giving us the faith to order online and know that the thing that arrives is probably going to be playable with a little bit of tinkering.(I've has some amazing cheap ibanez's of late)

I think the 2nd hand market is probably bigger too and it is possible to pick up something £100's or even £1000's cheaper than a new item in excellent condition ( like the  Shuker 😀)

Edited by edstraker123

6 hours ago, Staggering on said:

It could be compared to the the piano market(real piano, not "keyboard") that existed for the better part of a century and every home had a piano and kids took piano lessons and the sheet music market flourished. In my part of the world(Canada) lovely pianos are being sold cheaply or given away and it's been like this for years.

I was given my first DB by a music shop owner who, having seen us gig, thought we'd sound better with DB than electric (and biy, he was right). He used to provide them to schools and found that schools were asking him to take them back FOC because no-one wants to play them anymore, and they were simply too big to store (I passed it on to a guy on BC once I'd upgraded to my current 4/4). His shop is still going well, but perhaps only because he matches best internet prices, and we live in a town with two universities and a few public schools so there's a decent amount of disposable cash around. There are times when I want to say "mate, charge me full whack, much as I like the cheapness, I also like having a decent music shop in town". I bought all my daughters various instruments from there (including the World's loudest tambourine which was not clever), and send all my friends and colleagues there, because they can try the gear. I still worry that the shop won't be there much longer though :(

the one store still going strong in my city will price match any Australian online price. I will buy from them. I got my Elf and two 10" cabs for $200 less each than retail from them. And seeing as all their competitors are interstate, they should ADD shipping to the price they match, but they don't hehe

• Like 1