Why become a member? Read more... ×
Basschat podcast: Episode 3 Read more... ×
Happy Jack

Looks like a steady earner for somebody here

Do you think that anyone would actually consider this?

Maybe it's just me .....

If I lived a few minutes away I would for the fun and experience, but it would probably cost £20 to park 😀

Agree there Regga but I would get em to collect me and my gear but then they might just be starting out so need the exp,they certainly ain’t pros

• Like 1

I auditioned for these guys about 18 months ago! They came across as a really nice bunch and very good musicians.

Turns out we weren't the right fit (I was looking for a funk and soul band, they're much more bluesy) but they had a couple of other auditionees before and after me so they must have found someone then. I was listening to the guy before me (his audition overran), he was great and they were clearly having a blast with him. I would've signed him up! :)

They are brother and sister so I wonder if there's a dynamic in the band that makes it difficult for new people to fit in to, hense looking for a new bassist?

Either way, they're an amateur band who have landed a residency, this'll be a good, fun gig for someone. 

• Like 1

I like their advert too.

Very clear, very open, no room for confusion, and no resorting to kid-speak or wannabe Americanisms.

They come across as a pair of grown-ups who know what they're doing.

£120 for 3x45 in the very centre of London? Someone's making money out of this, and it ain't the band... 🙄

• Like 1

On 15/03/2019 at 14:03, Happy Jack said:

I like their advert too.

Very clear, very open, no room for confusion, and no resorting to kid-speak or wannabe Americanisms.

They come across as a pair of grown-ups who know what they're doing.

That's exactly what I thought. One of the best, clearest and most helpful "wanted" ads I've seen.

On 15/03/2019 at 16:11, Muzz said:

£120 for 3x45 in the very centre of London? Someone's making money out of this, and it ain't the band... 🙄

Absolutely. It's gutting to see adverts like this. They're doing themselves a complete disservice if, as StevieE says, they're decent. You'd only be doing it for the love at that price, not sure they're going to find their "top quality bass player" though.

Good luck to them though, seem totally straight and unambiguous about what they're looking for and able to offer. 

• Like 1

I guess it's all about context.

I wouldn't be keen to play those hours for that money, but I'm in the happy position of being paid more than that to play shorter hours. I'm well aware that not everyone is in that position.

If I was 40 years younger, desperate to be out there playing, and keen to get the [cliche alert] exposure [/cliche alert], then who knows. If you're earning nowt, a fair share of £120 plus free food and a couple of drinks probably looks like a pretty good deal.

14 minutes ago, Happy Jack said:

If you're earning nowt, a fair share of £120 plus free food and a couple of drinks probably looks like a pretty good deal.

I can't quite remember what the brother did for a living, I think it was a solicitor or something of that ilk, so I'm guessing money isn't the driving force. The impression I got was they're doing it for the love of the music. 

Still, at least the bar owner is getting a professional, talented band for peanuts, and that’s the main thing...