Why become a member? ×

Good Squier, bad Squier?

Soledad

2 hours ago, Woodinblack said:

I have had an awful japanese squier and have a good chinese one. Classic vibes are great.

There weren't any US squiers since fender have owned them, the whole point of that label is to make a cheap version to head off copies of the american ones by producing.. err.. copies of american ones.

Fender bought the Squier brand in 1965. USA Squiers were made 1989 - 1990.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, blisters on my fingers said:

Fender bought the Squier brand in 1965. USA Squiers were made 1989 - 1990.

Squire had a busy year in 89 as it's around then they switched production from Japan to Korea. If they opened a US plant as well, must had been a logistical nightmare.

US squiers must be as rare as hens teeth. Can't imagine what one would go for?

1 hour ago, hooky_lowdown said:

Squire had a busy year in 89 as it's around then they switched production from Japan to Korea. If they opened a US plant as well, must had been a logistical nightmare.

US squiers must be as rare as hens teeth. Can't imagine what one would go for?

Now I have had a look, yes, they exist, and they exist because there were problems with the Mexican fender factory for Squiers so they produced the same guitars in the American factory (which lets face it is only 180 miles down the road), using the same materials and cheaper finishes. As a result the american squiers are no better than the mexican squiers but people try to sell them for a lot due to scarcity, although they did produce a lot in the one year they were making them.

• Like 1

This is my 1999 crafted In Indonesia PJ special standard, I bought off a member on here and It's one of the best basses I've owned. I've owned Jaydees through fenders MIM and USA's but this thing Is killer. Jazz width neck but just plays and feels better than all the others I've owned (barring the JayDee) Although the neck is slimmer than the Jaydee which I like. Only thing is...It's heavy.  Whoever made this one In 1999 must have got his oats off his missus the night before! 

34027838925_d29ca8fed9_b.jpg

• Haha 2

5 hours ago, Basscabman said:

my 1999 crafted In Indonesia PJ special standard

That is TASTY. Nice colour - looks dead original too? Just noticed they move the jack to make way for the 3rd pot. I do fancy trying a Squier P/J, the P bodied one whatever it's called. Could an owner tell me what to expect - do I get the split pup P sound, I mean  P bass proper, then the added back pup of a Jazz... is it that simple, is it that good !!?? 

I went shoppng for a cheap backup bass yesterday, tried 3 squiers.

The first, a squier contemporary jazz was a dog, heavy, brittle sounding pickups and a rough almost unfinished neck. Hastily handing this back I was given a Vintage modified jazz to try which was almost perfect. I could barely tell the difference in feel from my US jazz. Umming and arring I then tried another vintage modified in my preferred colour scheme and this left a lot to be desired. It was better than the first bass but nowhere near as good as the second. All the basses were made in Indonesia. 

I didn't come away with anything on this occasion but it goes to show the need to try before you buy on instruments at this price. 

• Like 2

I've had 2 Squier Precisions. A late 80's Korean, which was lovely. The neck looked like flame maple, it sounded great and looked great...so obviously I sold it. And currently I have a Vintage Modified. That's great as well, so I obviously put a different neck on it (I've still got the original neck).

They're good basses. I shoudn't like the VM, it's the wrong colour, but I love it...well, I did when I was playing, before my band split up, I hate singers, did I mention I hate singers?

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, Marvin said:

I hate singers, did I mention I hate singers?

I declare I'm off topic now... but did I mention our band of quite some time ago, singer was good but an absolute nutter - got done for indecent exposure (and it was a fair cop). Not all, but some singers are a total PITA. I have a tale about David Coverdale (just pre Deep P) that further supports our joint case ;) 

4 minutes ago, Defo said:

I have an Affinity PJ which blew me away when I picked it up just out of curiosity so I bought it, best bargain I ever came across. Not sure where they are made?

It should say on the back of the headstock

31 minutes ago, Soledad said:

I declare I'm off topic now... but did I mention our band of quite some time ago, singer was good but an absolute nutter - got done for indecent exposure (and it was a fair cop). Not all, but some singers are a total PITA. I have a tale about David Coverdale (just pre Deep P) that further supports our joint case ;) 

You were in the doors?

🤪

9 minutes ago, Stub Mandrel said:

You were in the doors?

Haha - I'd forgot, Jim did that didn't he? Our guy was called Keith and was not so much of a looker. Does it come with the territory?  singer> frontman > showman > ooh, look what I've got > policeman...

Now, about Squiers... I'm on the hunt for  P Special, Squier or MIM. Any overstocks out there??