Why become a member? ×

Verily, a Prince amongst Fakers ...

41 minutes ago, Machines said:

I'm at a loss as to why it was even built to start with.

It's something of a Prog Rock dream, 70's aesthetic with 6 strings, but it would have to be one hell of an instrument to justify the well-known luthier boutique price tag of £6,000. A a tenth of that I might have been interested

2 minutes ago, Beedster said:

It's something of a Prog Rock dream, 70's aesthetic with 6 strings, but it would have to be one hell of an instrument to justify the well-known luthier boutique price tag of £6,000. A a tenth of that I might have been interested

Sorry, make that £7,000, missed the £999 :)

5 hours ago, Bassassin said:

Still, there'll be trouble if Big Bad Johnny Hall comes sniffing around!

Good point. Maybe he is losing his touch? There was a time when if you wanted to put a ric copy on ebay you had to do it on a friday, so it would survive the whole weekend before he got back on monday and got it taken down. That has been there for a few days now and hasn't been taken down.

Because it isn't described as a Rickenbacker just as having the 'ric-o-sound' (presumably the sound of lawyers wringing their hands in anticipation and frantic writ-serving).

I can't help feeling their policy is counter-productive. I don't see the abundance of 'strat-style' and 'p' or 'j' bases having any impact on the status of Fenders - if anything it makes the real thing even more aspirational (a) because the general look has become iconic for electric guitar and (b) and who doesn't get a copy and secretly hope to own the 'real thing' one day?

They've also missed out by not having their own budget brand.

4 hours ago, Stub Mandrel said:

Because it isn't described as a Rickenbacker just as having the 'ric-o-sound' (presumably the sound of lawyers wringing their hands in anticipation and frantic writ-serving).

I can't help feeling their policy is counter-productive. I don't see the abundance of 'strat-style' and 'p' or 'j' bases having any impact on the status of Fenders - if anything it makes the real thing even more aspirational (a) because the general look has become iconic for electric guitar and (b) and who doesn't get a copy and secretly hope to own the 'real thing' one day?

They've also missed out by not having their own budget brand.

It's a way bigger can of worms than that. RIC own all their designs as trademarks - body shape, headstock, trc shape etc - and US TM law requires that they have to pursue any & every infringement, or they risk losing exclusive right to those designs.

That's already happened with Fender & Gibson, except for Gibson's "open book" headstock, which remains trademarked - & that's why copy Strats, Ps, Js & LPs are everywhere.

Anyway, this 6er is as much a dodgy Faker as any 70s Ibanez or modern Chickenbacker, and JH or his acolytes will be on its case, sooner or later, because they have to. Also this is why BC has a no Ricks or Fakers sales policy - Hall's already been on here chucking his legal threats around.