Why become a member? ×

Fender - Steve Harris vs Nate Mendel?

isteen

Been looking for a new P-bass, and are focusing on the Steve Harris bass...or maybe even Nate Mendel bass.

From Youtube comparisons I like the SH tone better than the NM.

Any comments, experiences etc?

Thanks

Edited by isteen

Its all about the neck - if you like chunky its the Steve Harris and if you want slimmer but not jazz bass thin its the Nate. I had a Nate and its a brilliant neck on it but i found i prefer something a bit meatier.

Edited by Mudpup

Plus a lot of the tone will be due to the pickups which can easily be swapped out. A lot of difference between the two, both Seymour Duncan’s but with the SH having the Steve Harris pickup, a nice middy pickup, the NM having Quarterpounders which emphasise the lows and highs, giving a scooped sound.

• Like 2

Both great basses but on the models I tried, the fit and finish and overall tone seemed to be better on the (current model) Steve Harris. The neck felt rolled whereas the Nate I reviewed seemed square in comparison. Tonally I also put the SH up against the RW Mike Dirnt and the SH won me over again, the MD is very nice though. I've big ole hands so the profiles of the necks didn't bother me at all. The only downside of the SH is that it is a boat anchor! Wow, the example I tried out was probably the heaviest P bass I have ever picked up. 

Be aware that the earlier sh model p ( blue sparkle/ jap made) does not have the spb4 Harris sig pup. 

I love my blue Harris, but mainly because I don't want the logo on it. I wouldn't go so far as to say I detest football, but you get the point! Lol

the neck is big in the hand, but feels supremely comfortable. If having a good palmful of wood matron, then go for the Harris 

Edited by dudewheresmybass

Both great basses, always found the SH a little on the heavy side of things- so if you're prone to a bad back, perhaps leave this one. 

The sound is pretty mint if you walk the bass and like a little brightness and attack from the maple frets. Can be a little too 'snappy' if you play with a pick. 

Seymour Duncan pickups and Rotosound strings are always a good staple for precision basses 😉👌🏻

Found this model differed a fair bit between being made/crafted in Japan to Mexico. Also I'm not even a fan of football, let alone West Ham 

The Nate hasn't changed all that much over the years, only going from Badass Bridge II to a Fender Hi-Mass. Weight and sound seem to be fair for the price point. I believe the neck is designed around a '72/'73 Nate owned, the one year that it was somewhat between a P and J neck. So an all-round good feel to the bass for all to enjoy. 

Not bad for a 'road worn' signature bass either 😁

I'd definitely say play them both and keep going back before you open the wallet up 

• Like 1