Why become a member? ×

Upright Bass Modelling For EUB

Mr Bassman

This has been covered over on Talkbass but I wondered if anyone on Basschat had any experiences to share?

I've owned a dozen or so different EUB's over the years and have spent many hours and GBP's changing strings and pickup trying to get that upright sound in my head. I'm currently experimenting with a TC Bodyrez and a Mooer Radar using impulse responses from 3sigma audio

The Bodyrez is simple to use having one button for on/off/mute and one rotary knob for intensity. It does enhance my already great sounding Ibanez Upswing and my SLB200 with the amp set flat.

I spent sometime experimenting in Logic X with the Hawk impulse responses from 3sigma and then decided to go for the Mooer Radar. I'm disappointed with it and the IR's. I can't get a happy sound and find the Radar too fiddly.

I've not tried either with bass guitar yet but will report back when I get around to it.

• Like 1

I prefer playing my Stagg EUB than my acoustic upright in my 50s rock and roll / country band and also use the BodyRez and a delay/reverb pedal to just add a smidge of 'air' to proceedings. Hardly anything at all on the delay and reverb, but BodyRez pedal at about 9 o'clock. Band mates much prefer the sound of my Stagg compared to my DB (which i have always struggled getting a consistent amplified tone from) as the bass is much more strident like it would be from bass guitar (unsurprisingly) which gives a bit more space for the single guitar to back off rhythm a little.

@Mr Bassman I just wanted to add - I only discovered the TC BodyRez because of one of your posts on another thread....
I found one on here, second-hand, and went for it on your recommendation. I must say, I do quite like the sound it produces with my EUB
It's still not exactly "acoustic sounding" but the resonance (particularly at the lower end) seems to have more "body"
As of yet, I've only done rehearsals with it - but our drummer thought it sounded great.

I also use an MXR EQ pedal, and tweak the EQ using that - depending on the venue. Of course, the sound I hear whilst stood relatively close to the amp, is quite different from what the audience will hear.
As NickA points out - the amplified sound of an acoustic upright is quite different to its' acoustic sound too

I'm interested to hear what other players are using