Why become a member? ×

Advice on heat shrink wrap for patch leads

Corvine

Hello!

Going to be making up quite a few patch lead using sommer spirit xxl cable.

Videos I've watched on soldering jacks suggest using heatshrink wrap. Anyone know what size and shrinkage I would need to use with this cable?

I'll mostly be using Hicon pancake jacks, if that's relevant.

If anyone's got any advice, much appreciated!

• Like 1

https://www.mouser.co.uk/Wire-Cable/Wire-Protection-Management/Heat-Shrink-Tubing-and-Sleeves/_/N-5ggz/

You have over 7 500 choices, so some filtering is needed. Let's make a guess that your cable is 1/4" thick. Then choose a shrink tube that will be less than that after heating it up, like 5.5 mm or so. Place an order.

I would not use the glue version, it is overkill. If the tube is clear, you can put your initials or whatever under that.

If your patch cables will be steady in place, you may consider omitting the tube. If they move even just slightly, or you need to bend them a lot, the tube is good.

Heat shrink sleeving is not compatible with all cables. I tried to add extra protection to a microphone cable where it entered the plug, but the heat caused the conductor insulation to shrink, leaving nearly a centimeter of bare wires in the plug. I didn't find out until the cable stopped working during a gig. That particular cable had a polythene type insulation, as against the normal PVC or rubber based ones.

Best to check before you start work.

Daivid

19 hours ago, itu said:

https://www.mouser.co.uk/Wire-Cable/Wire-Protection-Management/Heat-Shrink-Tubing-and-Sleeves/_/N-5ggz/

You have over 7 500 choices, so some filtering is needed. Let's make a guess that your cable is 1/4" thick. Then choose a shrink tube that will be less than that after heating it up, like 5.5 mm or so. Place an order.

I would not use the glue version, it is overkill. If the tube is clear, you can put your initials or whatever under that.

If your patch cables will be steady in place, you may consider omitting the tube. If they move even just slightly, or you need to bend them a lot, the tube is good.

Thanks!

The cables are all going on a board, so once in place shouldn't be moving at all.

18 hours ago, Mottlefeeder said:

Heat shrink sleeving is not compatible with all cables. I tried to add extra protection to a microphone cable where it entered the plug, but the heat caused the conductor insulation to shrink, leaving nearly a centimeter of bare wires in the plug. I didn't find out until the cable stopped working during a gig. That particular cable had a polythene type insulation, as against the normal PVC or rubber based ones.

Best to check before you start work.

Daivid

PVC on that cable I think, so should be ok.

cheers

2 hours ago, Corvine said:

How come? Are the Hicon jacks just sturdy enough with out it?

I've been making, selling and personally using patch cables with Hicon jacks for several years and have yet to have one fail.  If made correctly the connector securely clamps on to the outer sheath of the cable and stays there.  If you are using very thin cable then you might want to use some heatshrink to increase the diameter of the cable so the connector has something to bite on, that being said I wouldn't use very thin cable.  I've been using Sommer Tricone and Vandamme Classic both of which are excellent. Klotxz AC110 is too inflexible and Sommer LLX is too large.

Ok, thanks for the advice. Do you happen to know if the Sommer Spirit XXL is ok with them? I think from what I've read it's thicker than the Tricone and thinner than the LLX. I had previously been advised that it would work well with the Hicons.