Why become a member? ×

DR Strings

Guest MoJo

22 minutes ago, mcnach said:

I don't do anything like that... am I supposed to?

I roughly measure, cut, insert in post, THEN bend and wind. No issues so far but maybe I'll change my ways just in case...

You’re supposed to put a wee kink in the string before you cut- then cut and do the bigger bend that slots into the winding post - it’s supposed to stop the wraps sliding off the round core I think

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, mcnach said:

Additional cost to us. In the US of A they are not that pricey. Spending $19 on a set of Fat Beams is not exactly a hardship. In the UK, it's a different matter, of course. I still buy them because everytime I find something else that seems promising as a substitute, it leaves me disappointed. Considering I probably keep a set for 9 months to a year, I'd rather buy what I know I like even if I spend £10 or even £20 more. 

If you're getting 9mths out of a set then its worth the extra cost but mine generally last up to 2-3mths and i just didn't find that much difference between the Sunbeams and the D'addarios i was using apart from tension which i quite liked on the DR's but not enough to warrant the extra cash.

If you're getting 9mths from a set are the Fat Beams faltwounds ? 

I'm using Sandberg steels at the moment so that's got me changing from nickes back to steels again.

I hate this choice its brain damaging trying to find that perfect string. I usually end up going back to D'addario nickels but i keep trying. In the old days you had Rotosound rounds or Rotosound flats. It was easy in those days. :laugh1:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Cuzzie said:

DR DDTs or Hi beams I am getting at least 9months out, plus on amazon global they are nearer £20, even if I was getting less, at that price and the sound I get which I like , I would still use them

Will have a lok at them as DR make quite a few different strings.

Not used the Amazon Global Store just the UK one.

Dave

34 minutes ago, MoJo said:

I bought a set of Fatbeams, based on all the positive reviews, but they're not for me

What didn't you like. I'm curious and thinking of maybe trying them if i can get a set of strings to last 8-9mths it might be worthwhile.

Dave

11 hours ago, Jazzmaster62 said:

That's how I do it - measure, bend, cut, wind. Cutting a string straight is asking for trouble. 

I must have been lucky... for years!

I'm off to buy a lottery ticket! (or maybe, just maybe, the possibility of issues is overestimated ;) )

Either way, I'll do it differently next time, just in case. It costs nothing and I'd feel really silly if I damaged a string now :D

10 hours ago, dmccombe7 said:

If you're getting 9mths out of a set then its worth the extra cost but mine generally last up to 2-3mths and i just didn't find that much difference between the Sunbeams and the D'addarios i was using apart from tension which i quite liked on the DR's but not enough to warrant the extra cash.

If you're getting 9mths from a set are the Fat Beams faltwounds ? 

I'm using Sandberg steels at the moment so that's got me changing from nickes back to steels again.

I hate this choice its brain damaging trying to find that perfect string. I usually end up going back to D'addario nickels but i keep trying. In the old days you had Rotosound rounds or Rotosound flats. It was easy in those days. :laugh1:

Indeed! 

Before I joined BassChat, I just used whatever my local shop had, and I only had priority about gauges. Choice is a terrible thing :D

Fat Beams are roundwounds, of course, stainless steel, so pretty bright to start with, but I prefer them after they've been used a bit. That's why I keep them that long. It takes me 2-3 weeks for them to be just right, and then they last a long time in that condition having lost the initial zing. By the time I'm finding them lacking a bit, it's easily 9 months... and I'm reluctant to replace them because I just don't like new strings, so I might carry on a bit longer.

edit: I have Fat Beams on a few basses right now, I just checked my spreadsheet :ph34r::

*  EBMM SUB: 2 years and 2 months (but I don't use that bass a lot)

*  Fender Precision: 1 year 8 months 

*  Maruszczyk Jake JJ/P: 3 months - still very bright, but mostly used at home, I have used it on a couple of rehearsals and a total of ONE gig.

*  EBMM Stingray: 8 months... This is the bass I play most gigs with. I really like how it sounds at the moment, so I can see another 2-3 months easily...

Edited by mcnach
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, mcnach said:

I must have been lucky... for years!

I'm off to buy a lottery ticket! (or maybe, just maybe, the possibility of issues is overestimated ;) )

Either way, I'll do it differently next time, just in case. It costs nothing and I'd feel really silly if I damaged a string now :D

According to  Newtone you only need to do this with round core strings. Hex-core strings can be cut without needing to bend them first.

• Thanks 1

22 hours ago, dmccombe7 said:

What didn't you like. I'm curious and thinking of maybe trying them if i can get a set of strings to last 8-9mths it might be worthwhile.

Dave

Not keen on the tone Dave. Maybe when they've been 'played in', I may change my opinion

11 minutes ago, MoJo said:

Not keen on the tone Dave. Maybe when they've been 'played in', I may change my opinion

Was that the initial tone or after 3-4 weeks when strings lose some of their treble twang as mentioned by others. ?

Dave

8 minutes ago, dmccombe7 said:

Was that the initial tone or after 3-4 weeks when strings lose some of their treble twang as mentioned by others. ?

Dave

They're only a couple of weeks old and have done half of one gig (swapped in the break, back to my P-bass with two year old Fender Nickels on it)

Edited by MoJo

On 17/04/2019 at 21:47, mcnach said:

Fat Beams are roundwounds, of course, stainless steel, so pretty bright to start with, but I prefer them after they've been used a bit. That's why I keep them that long. It takes me 2-3 weeks for them to be just right, and then they last a long time in that condition having lost the initial zing. By the time I'm finding them lacking a bit, it's easily 9 months... and I'm reluctant to replace them because I just don't like new strings, so I might carry on a bit longer.

edit: I have Fat Beams on a few basses right now, I just checked my spreadsheet :ph34r::

*  EBMM SUB: 2 years and 2 months (but I don't use that bass a lot)

*  Fender Precision: 1 year 8 months 

*  Maruszczyk Jake JJ/P: 3 months - still very bright, but mostly used at home, I have used it on a couple of rehearsals and a total of ONE gig.

*  EBMM Stingray: 8 months... This is the bass I play most gigs with. I really like how it sounds at the moment, so I can see another 2-3 months easily...

I have a pair of FatBeams on my StingRay 5 - I put them on in January

They still sound a bit too zingy... :D

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

String life depends upon various factors - how you play, and also your finger sweat!! 

I've got DR hi- Beams on my white basses, the Jazz has had the same strings on for about a year and a half, and still sound great - nice and glassy, with the classic solid bass fundamental. 

However, when Guy Pratt used that very same bass, with a fresh set of Hi-beams on it, the strings were completely gubbed after two weeks. Sounded like someone kicking a cardboard box down the road! Hahaha. 

My brother (who is a guitarist), can turn unwound stings completely black within the space of a single gig!! All due to his acidic sweat. Yuck. 

(I've attached a pic of Guy sound checking with the bass when he first borrowed it). 

20181017_210559.jpg

IMG_20181027_152930_209.jpg

• Like 1

2 hours ago, kevin_lindsay said:

However, when Guy Pratt used that very same bass

This says Hi-Beams for me then (on my Jazz) - IIRC Guy Pratt played on Madonna's 'Like a Prayer' (was it that one)? Loved his bass work there. Cracking player, and importantly doesn't overplay. Great sound in the mix. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Soledad said:

This says Hi-Beams for me then (on my Jazz) - IIRC Guy Pratt played on Madonna's 'Like a Prayer' (was it that one)? Loved his bass work there. Cracking player, and importantly doesn't overplay. Great sound in the mix. 

Yip, it was Like a Prayer - he did an awesome job!

Whether he overplays is an interesting one though. I recall reading that he felt he did overplay with Pink Floyd when he was younger, but held back and played more true to the recordings on later tours with Gilmour.

However, to come back on topic - I’m fairly sure Guy doesn’t routinely use Hi-Beams. I think he mentions Bass Centre Elites in his book. There’s a section at the end where he lists all his gear. (My mate has borrowed mine, can’t check!)

Guy added a touch of extra life to the live Floyd sound at the beginning. He didn't go daft with it but played some songs with a bit more energy and the occassional ad-lib fill. Its what got me back into Floyd when i bought the VID for Delicate Sound of Thunder. His bass playing using a Spector bass i think was simply outstanding on that tour plus he was doing some great vocals on Run Like Hell. Def one of the best bassists around.

Dave

• Like 1

3 hours ago, dmccombe7 said:

Def one of the best bassists around.

Yes. Maybe doesn't always get the recognition he deserves. There's a rich musicality in his playing, which is somewhat uncommon... IMHO

re over-playing, Guy Pratt is allowed to add a few notes within, because he makes them worthwhile. It's the 'loads of notes' within the chord, note-count sh*t that I have an issue with. GP is way above that. He payed quite full lines on 'Like a Prayer' but it was balanced and right for the arrangements / production... IMHO(2)

Edited by Soledad
  • Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
On 15/04/2019 at 12:16, Alba said:

The above is correct.  You are essentially putting down a deposit to cover the import fees.  From my experience, the deposit has always been refunded in full to the account from which it was paid, although this is normally several weeks after the purchase.

And you are correct indeed - just received an email about the import fees deposit being refunded, this is about 6-7 weeks after the purchase but automatic so didn't need to do anything. So, a pack of sunbeams for bass and pure blues for guitar, cheaper then anywhere in UK or Europe, and then five pounds back too - as already stated, great for consumers, really bad for local businesses.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Revisiting an older thread.

I've had a little break from bass playing during lock down but have come back to it over the past few weeks, mainly using my J bass with rounds.

Picked up my P Bass last night which I'd restrung with LaBella Low Tension flats and didn't like it at all.  So  I'm probably going back to Roundcored roundwounds.

I've previously used Sunbeams and liked them but I've not tried Pure Blues at all.  Does anyone have experience with either of these and can summarise the differences?

5 minutes ago, PJ-Bassist said:

Revisiting an older thread.

I've had a little break from bass playing during lock down but have come back to it over the past few weeks, mainly using my J bass with rounds.

Picked up my P Bass last night which I'd restrung with LaBella Low Tension flats and didn't like it at all.  So  I'm probably going back to Roundcored roundwounds.

I've previously used Sunbeams and liked them but I've not tried Pure Blues at all.  Does anyone have experience with either of these and can summarise the differences?

This is so difficult as I have tried both of those and the Blues are a little ‘polite’ for want if a better word.

If you like Sunbeams but want to try something different I recommend Hi Beams - great strings with loads of presence and I think Bax-Music have a reasonable deal on them last time I looked