Why become a member? ×

DR Strings

Guest MoJo

19 hours ago, Cato said:

I've never tried the Pure Blues on a bass, but I put a set of my usual 10s on a skinny stringer Tele and had to take them off after a couple of weeks.

They sounded great, but the tension on them felt like the guitar was strung with strings a couple of gauges higher, to the point where I was struggling to complete string bends that I normally don't even think about.

If they feel stiffer than Fat Beams then I don't think I'll bother...

13 minutes ago, mcnach said:

If they feel stiffer than Fat Beams then I don't think I'll bother...

The Pure Blues guitar strings are made from pure nickel wraps whereas I'm 90% sure the bass versions are made from a nickel alloy, so they might not have the same 'high tension' feel as the skinny version.

Only one way to find out...

Edited by Cato

• 4 weeks later...
On 13/03/2019 at 11:32, Alba said:

DR strings are much cheaper coming from the US and you get reimbursed the import fees.  

sunbeams 40-100 on my PJ and oh my, what strings, what sound, what feel, and they were much cheaper than if I bought them from a UK seller (also bought pure blues 10s for my six string guitar, really good too)

but my question here is how do you get the import fees reimbursed, please?

1 hour ago, Romeo2 said:

Alba said on page 1 of this thread (quoted in my question...) that this is possible, wondered how exactly.

I didn't think that was possible... unless you paid them for something that should not incur import fees. I'm confused...

37 minutes ago, ribbetingfrog said:

With Amazon Global store they charge the estimated import fees up front and reimburse the extra if the fees are less.

Thanks - makes sense, but it seems I didn't pay more than their estimate, nothing reimbursed :/

still much cheaper, buying again for other basses :D

edit: hmm, the shop I bought it from about a month ago now will not ship to the UK, tried other shops, no luck, seems I have to go with amazon export sales LLC which does not make it so much cheaper now, bugger

Edited by Romeo2

Amazon Global - I'm guessing this is an attempt to destroy every reselling business on the planet?

So if I go for Amazon Global you get:

image.png.9cd9f01301776542690472e9f0fe96f4.png

If however, I go for my normal provider: www.stringsdirect.co.uk

image.png.11fbf52d7653356717dcd9e3161d10d3.png

So how are UK vendors going to stay in business?  £25.96 versus £33.99.  23.5% saving.

Depressed.

Davo

I use Lo Riders on a passive Jazz Bass - love the nickel variant but I ordered steel by mistake for my current set and don't like them as much.  There's a significant difference in tone to my ears - will be going back to nickel as soon as these are done.

3 hours ago, Davo-London said:

Amazon Global - I'm guessing this is an attempt to destroy every reselling business on the planet?

So how are UK vendors going to stay in business?  £25.96 versus £33.99.  23.5% saving.

Depressed.

Davo

Why are DR strings $20 in the States yet nearly double that here? 

I was a D'Addario nickels fan for quite a few yrs and thought i would try the DR sunbeams.

What i found was they seemed to have less tension and could bend them more easily. Apart from that they felt much the same as the D'addario nickels. They didn't last much longer if at all longer than the D'addarios so for me they simply just weren't worth the extra cost. Can't really fault them as a string tho.

I went back to the Fender nickels which seem to last same as D'addario nickels but cheaper.

Dave

On ‎13‎/‎04‎/‎2019 at 13:59, ribbetingfrog said:

With Amazon Global store they charge the estimated import fees up front and reimburse the extra if the fees are less.

The above is correct.  You are essentially putting down a deposit to cover the import fees.  From my experience, the deposit has always been refunded in full to the account from which it was paid, although this is normally several weeks after the purchase.

Edited by Alba

5 hours ago, Davo-London said:

Depressed.

Davo

I've found that Strings Direct and Stringbusters to be more expensive than many other suppliers these days. Used to use them all the time but recently i've been buying from GAK or Bass Direct and a few others on line. 

Have you tried other shops ?

I bought a set of D'addarios thru ebay and i swear they were duds as they didn't last much longer than 3-4 weeks when typically they last me 2-3 months before changing depending on usage of course. I also found the E string tone was a bit more thud than actual tone so i never buy thru shops i don't know like ebay suppliers.

Just my own experience in life.

Dave

9 hours ago, acidbass said:

What are the Sunbeams like in comparison to Nickel Lo Riders?  Has anyone had experience of both?  Liking the sound of the Sunbeams, may go for a set next.

Both great strings! The Lo Riders are higher tension (hex core) and I find them to have more midrange punch than the Sunbeams, which are a bit mellower by contrast and more flexible. I use the Lo Riders on my regular scale bass and Sunbeams on the 35". I have a set of Pure Blues on the way so am interested to see how they compare to these two.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, skidder652003 said:

Just ordered some Highbeams for £25 inc delivery, thanks for the heads up on the Global store.

Such good value.

I picked up a load of unopened 5 string sets for about that price, but I don’t use the B string as I am not advanced enough to use a 5 string bass.

If anyone can only find 4 string sets, but needs them for a 5er (I think I have about 4-5 of them) give me a nudge and we can sort it

20 minutes ago, Cuzzie said:

. . . .  I don’t use the B string as I am not advanced enough to use a 5 string bass.

You don't have to be "advanced" to play a 5 string bass.

If you can play anything on a 4 string bass you can play the same thing on a 5 string.

• Like 2