Why become a member? ×

Precision Pickups In An Ibanez

donslow

I have an old ibanez sr800 that is by far my favourite bass to play but the noise it makes has never really done much for me

the noise from my precision however is absolutely spot on for me

does anyone know how much of a precision tone i would get if i were to put my p bass pickups in the ibanez, only asking before acting as i would have to do some fettling with the pickup routes on the ibanez to get the p bass pickups to fit

Why not get a pickup (or pickups) made that fit the sr800 and have P type winding and tone.  Kent Armstrong springs to mind but there are other pickup makers as well.  This way you keep the sr800 intact and save on the woodwork.   

16 minutes ago, 3below said:

Why not get a pickup (or pickups) made that fit the sr800 and have P type winding and tone.  Kent Armstrong springs to mind but there are other pickup makers as well.  This way you keep the sr800 intact and save on the woodwork.   

Thats a good idea and certainly an option But I guess my main question would be, if i put p pickup in a ibanez, would it still sound like a precision bass or would something be lost due to construction, woods used etc etc

10 minutes ago, donslow said:

Thats a good idea and certainly an option But I guess my main question would be, if i put p pickup in a ibanez, would it still sound like a precision bass or would something be lost due to construction, woods used etc etc

IMO that is in 'lap of the Gods',  however I could easily be wrong.  Could you get a cheap p bass pickup, hack the case about and bodge it in to the Ibanez - depends on size of pickup routes available.  What is the size of the sr800 pickup?

11 hours ago, Norris said:

It would also depend where the pickup goes. A lot of the sound is due to the position of the pickup in relation to the bridge and nut.

Good point, well made. 

If i had had to adjust the pickup routing to suit pickup size and position, would it work?! Still unsure if it'd sound weedy or unlike a p at all

5 hours ago, donslow said:

Good point, well made. 

If i had had to adjust the pickup routing to suit pickup size and position, would it work?! Still unsure if it'd sound weedy or unlike a p at all

If you stick a P pickup in the place it normally goes, it will sound like a P :)

Whether it's worth the hassle, only you can say :)