Why become a member? ×

Where can I find a Medium Scale P or J Bass?

thebrig

Does anyone know where the best place is to look for a Medium Scale P or J Bass?

There are a few in Japan and the USA, but apart from the import duties, I would have the cites certificate to contend with because I would prefer a rosewood board.

1 hour ago, thebrig said:

Does anyone know where the best place is to look for a Medium Scale P or J Bass?

There are a few in Japan and the USA, but apart from the import duties, I would have the cites certificate to contend with because I would prefer a rosewood board.

New or used? If you buy a used bass from Japan or US I doubt you will need a certificate, as most basses pre certificate will obviously be rosewood. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, hooky_lowdown said:

New or used? If you buy a used bass from Japan or US I doubt you will need a certificate, as most basses pre certificate will obviously be rosewood. 

Don't mind, but I think that even with used basses regardless of their age, they have to have a certificate to prove that they are in fact, pre cites.

I'm worried that if I were to import one and it doesn't have the certificate, then it will end up being seized by customs and I could end up losing my money. 🤔

They do come up now and then, it just takes time. I found my 32" Precision by hunting for Squier PB-331 online and eventually found one on a local ad site in France. Places like Italy and Germany can be good hunting grounds too. 

It's a bit of a long shot, but you might want to keep an eye out for a secondhand History SZP-2M (Precision) or History SZJ-2M (Jazz), or the current equivalents the Cool-Z ZPB-M1R and Cool-Z ZJP-M1R, in case someone's already imported one from Japan. They're made by FujiGen and likely just as nice as a mid-'80s Squier. 

22 minutes ago, Sibob said:

One in the FS forum (I have no affiliation):

Si

Thanks, I did see that one, but I had one made a couple of year's ago by Maruszczyk, but I couldn't get on with the flattish board, although I believe Maruszczyk give you the option of 9 1/2" radius now

I also struggled to find a medium scale Precision after years of playing 32" Aria's. I just made my own. Found a Squier 32" neck on ebay and modified the neck pocket on an aftermarket precision body to fit. Needed an extra bolt in through the body for the base of the neck, and trim the pickguard, but with some careful measuring I was able to leave the rest as is. I did round off the top horn a little to gain slightly more access to the higher frets but if you play in the dusty end then no need. Because the pickup is is the same place as the regular P but the scale is shorter, it is 2 inches closer to the neck and makes a lovely woody thud compared to my other P. I keep trying to change to something else with a proper 'name' on it, but I keep coming back to it.

2014-07-26 15.22.02.jpg

On 13/03/2019 at 09:38, petebassist said:

Couple of nice 32 " scale Maruszczyks in Bass Direct. I think there was even a Jake 4p for sale on this forum too.

This. Also check the public-peace website and Bassfreaks for their Jake and Elwood reduced scales.

On 12/03/2019 at 22:28, thebrig said:

Don't mind, but I think that even with used basses regardless of their age, they have to have a certificate to prove that they are in fact, pre cites.

I'm worried that if I were to import one and it doesn't have the certificate, then it will end up being seized by customs and I could end up losing my money. 🤔

anything coming from USA or Japan (used or new) will need certificate if it's a commercial transaction.

19 hours ago, randythoades said:

I also struggled to find a medium scale Precision after years of playing 32" Aria's. I just made my own. Found a Squier 32" neck on ebay and modified the neck pocket on an aftermarket precision body to fit. Needed an extra bolt in through the body for the base of the neck, and trim the pickguard, but with some careful measuring I was able to leave the rest as is. I did round off the top horn a little to gain slightly more access to the higher frets but if you play in the dusty end then no need. Because the pickup is is the same place as the regular P but the scale is shorter, it is 2 inches closer to the neck and makes a lovely woody thud compared to my other P. I keep trying to change to something else with a proper 'name' on it, but I keep coming back to it.

2014-07-26 15.22.02.jpg

You've made a good job of that, nice work!

The type of material I'm playing now in my new band requires a lot playing high up, so making something similar could be a problem 🤔

I’ve an old 32” scale Squier P Bass (E serial number which was after the JV series) from the early/mid 80’s that I was thinking of letting go. Has some knock and dings but plays and sounds great. Overall not bad for a 35 year old bass! Rare to find th these days too!A71F52DC-65D1-414B-9E25-0B412C0BF0B4.thumb.jpeg.107b24a0ce6e1ed599620d69793f7730.jpeg

CFED0D89-8576-4429-9DB8-1143D349C891.thumb.jpeg.b38552aff1ca3d43b4f4024103a7f3c8.jpeg

2C6BF785-0436-4A38-939F-916A2A2E6DE3.thumb.jpeg.6f2d677fe5cd2f729f0fe17187e74e12.jpeg