Why become a member? ×

Fender Hard Case Spares?

V2factoryman

My 2010 Fender American Standard Precision came in one of those moulded plastic (I'm sure it's a much posher description really) hard cases. Last week part of the housing which one end of the carry handle slots into snapped off, so I now can't carry it using said handle. Does anybody know if Fender do spares for their cases or is it a case of bodge, or buy a replacement? All I can find on the Fender site is basses. Thanks.

Hey Pineweasel, I had a look and I would say that the exact part I need is listed. It's a handle attached to a locking latch, I just need to make sure it's the same dimensions and figure out how to remove it and install the new one. Thanks very much!

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Pineweasel, I had a look and I would say that the exact part I need is listed. It's a handle attached to a locking latch, I just need to make sure it's the same dimensions and figure out how to remove it and install the new one. Thanks very much!

I got the latch from the States. It cost about £14 and the same again in postage and only took about a week.

Now I can't figure how to remove the inlay which protects the bass in its case to access the screws which hold the handle in place! I've emailed SKB and they say you just have to prise it out, it's held with a bit of glue! I'll let you know how I get on!

There are two long screws by the carry handle which hold the bottom liner piece in place.

After removing these the liners can be slowly prised out with a scraper - they're held in with some hot-melt glue.

The handle and latches are screwed in from inside.

Any repairs to the shell can be made with ABS sheet (eBay) and MEK (pipeweld).

Plastikote Matt Super black spray paint is a good match for the plastic.

Here's the handle and the long screws - Case arrived like this due to mongrel couriers...

Fender case repair 2018-09-23 .05s.jpg