Why become a member? ×

1984 Tokai Jazz Sound (trade for Precision?) TADED
£650
London NW2

mr.noisy

EDIT: Now considering trades for a nice Precision Bass

So, here is my pride and joy, once again brought to you by a personal financial crisis. I hope I’ll be able to keep it as I am also trying to sell some other stuff, and might withdraw it if they go. I will include more detailed pictures very soon.

this is my 1984 Tokai Jazz Sound in a P-J configuration. Full Candy Apple Red including whole neck. Gold hardware that has tarnished over the years.

The bass itself is in a really good condition, plenty of small dings and scratches, but nothing major (I find it very tasty looking).

When I got it over a year ago I had it serviced by Mark Pressling who did an amazing job with the neck as it needed some fret dressing. Now it is set nice and low and is a dream to play.

Not really sure what else to say, you just need to try it for yourself, these early Tokai basses were called Fender killers for a reason.

This is ideally a collection only as I don’t drive anymore and I don’t have a case nor gig bag for it. However, I do have a box in my attic and could potentially wrap it very well if you wish to organise your own courier. I am based in London NW2, just off the M1.

Any questions, do not hesitate to get in touch. 

Feel free to have a look at my feedback - 

33744768_1782076048496700_84736280673302 35026580_1798823540155284_37729757441462 29062746_1697204046983901_52590594811064 29026321_1697204050317234_53041305844428

Edited by mr.noisy
  • Like 3

Had one of these Car Tokais about 10 years ago and it was a fantastic bass.. 

This one looks even better because it has the P/J pick up configuration (mine was J/J). 

As you say, these early 80s Tokais were known as 'Fender Killers', and with very good reason; I preferred my '84 Tokai to a  '66 Fender Jazz that I'd had in the 1990s.. It really was that good! 

Anyway, I shall stop reminiscing now and just say GLWTS.. 

Managed to sell my car so the bass can stay with me, but before I withdraw it, I want to see if there are any people wanting to trade some nice precision basses for it. If you have a nice precision and are willing to trade, just let me know. But that’s either straight trade or with cash my way. Any Limeligh Precision?

On 18/03/2019 at 06:49, mr.noisy said:

Managed to sell my car so the bass can stay with me, but before I withdraw it, I want to see if there are any people wanting to trade some nice precision basses for it. If you have a nice precision and are willing to trade, just let me know. But that’s either straight trade or with cash my way. Any Limeligh Precision?

Keep it mate, you look at one with it in the photo above, and why will a Precision be any better?

• Like 1

Wait for some cheap DiMarzio dp133 humbucking jazz pickups to appear on BC, from memory there may be some at the moment.  Not quite a P sound but in the territory (I have some that on one of my basses)..  Keep the bass and if you do not like the different pickups sell them on, no loss :)

7 minutes ago, 3below said:

Wait for some cheap DiMarzio dp133 humbucking jazz pickups to appear on BC, from memory there may be some at the moment.  Not quite a P sound but in the territory (I have some that on one of my basses)..  Keep the bass and if you do not like the different pickups sell them on, no loss :)

He’s got a P-PUP in there already :)

I know it does have a P in there and it could be as easy as rolling the bridge pickup down, but for some reason this bass even on the P pickup alone doesn't sound as nice as some of the P basses I had before, and I had a few. It is still a nice tone, but has it's own character to it. 

I am just a sucker for a good P bass with flats and few months ago I sold my Fender classic 50s P bass and I kinda miss that, but now I am considering just getting a new Squier Classic Vibe 60s P, but I am waiting for some sound tests to appear on youtube to see if they are as good as the old ones.

15 minutes ago, Beedster said:

He’s got a P-PUP in there already :)

It has been a long week, we have been on strike (sporadic days) for 5 weeks with a much longer war of attrition ahead, striking is surprisingly hard work.  Brexit is borked (whatever your take on the idea of Brexit is).  Trump appears to have not collaborated with the Russians and is also 'not exonerated' -work that one out.  The world is nuts and I just need to be awake and have looked at the pictures somewhat more closely.  I knew I need an eye test :)  Try a Dimarzio DP122 in the p bass zone, I also have one of these and it is pretty good imo.  

Serious suggestion, you could install push / pull volume pots so that you can completely disenagage the bridge j pickup or vice-versa.  No possibility of 'loading' / interaction between the pickups with a disconnect option. 

Edited by 3below

4 minutes ago, 3below said:

It has been a long week, we have been on strike (sporadic days) for 5 weeks with a much longer war of attrition ahead, striking is surprisingly hard work.  Brexit is borked (whatever your take on the idea of Brexit is).  Trump appears to have not collaborated with the Russians and is also 'not exonerated' -work that one out.  The world is nuts and I just need to be awake and have looked at the pictures somewhat more closely.  I knew I need an eye test :)  Try a Dimarzio DP122 in the p bass zone, I also have one of these and it is pretty good imo.  

I’m with you mate. Crazy times, thank God for beer!

Edited by Beedster

• MB1 locked this topic