Why become a member? ×

Lost by ParcelForce - oh Joy!! HAPPY ENDING

dustandbarley

Dear BassChat collective, I'm just wondering if anyone has had experience with ParcelForce (or any courier) losing a parcel?

On Friday I sold a lovely Moog pedal on Ebay and sent it that afternoon, booked via interparcel using ParcelForce's 48 hr Drop Off service.  I dropped the well packed box at the local Post Office and got a receipt.  Over the weekend I checked the tracking and it was showing as being delivered at 23.06 on Friday night - the same day I posted it (Ashford to Coventry).  This obviously wasn't right as I'd not paid for an express delivery.  This morning I phoned interparcel who said they would look into it and get back to me later.  I've just received the following email:- 

"Dear Justin,

Regarding your order, parcel force have advised the following.  Unfortunately this item has been passed down the wrong chute and delivered to eBay. Unfortunately we have no contacts at eBay to search to this item. So you will need to claim for loss on it.  We have now passed this to our claims department who will be intouch by email.  Please do not hesitate to contact me should you have any further queries.

Kind regards," 

I did not pay the extra insurance as the maths makes me too uncomfortable - they charge about 4% of the value, this indicates that they pay out on 1 in 25 items....  I can't believe this to be true, I'd like to believe they only lose 1 in every 1000 parcels or less and damage only about 1 in 100, so what do they do with all the extra money....? Anyway I digress.... (champagne for the share holders at the Xmas party etc...)

They asked for a sales invoice in a follow up email.  Anyone reckon I'll get my money back, or am I goosed?

Thank you for reading, I did read the ParcelForce thread here.... horrific🤯

Edited by dustandbarley

If you haven’t added insurance to value of goods then you’ll only get back what the standard cover included. Whether it is entirely their fault or not that is what they will pay out on. Personally I would not send anything with them, but obviously you are where you are. I’d do my best to put pressure on them to cough up as it was their mistake - but I wouldn’t hold out much hope :(

• Sad 1

Did you send the parcel to a home address or was it address to one of the eBay collection points? There is a big problem with the latter, as whilst buyers can indicate that they want items delivered to one, it seems that only items sent through eBay's courier service can be delivered to them, whilst several couriers explicitly won't (UPS being one of them as I found out after I'd sent the same item three times and it had be returned to me three times!).

On a more optimistic note, I wouldn't panic just yet as Parcelforce's tracking is bloody awful, and it might still show up with the buyer.  

• Like 1

This is why I'd hate to send a bass via couriers :(
I know this is a pedal - which isn't as valuable as a bass or guitar, but still annoying. And in any case - if it's got the recipients address on it.... surely someone should pass it on to someone in a position to deliver it?

Hope this all works out OK mate

• Thanks 1

If it's "lost" then they don't know where it is and can't prove how or who lost it.

However, in this case they have 100% not done what you ask and they promised to do - their error caused it to become lost - and insurance should not have to come into play.

Insurance is not there for when a company does not do what you have paid for. It's for genuine losses etc.

They have admitted it's 100% their error AND they did not do what you paid for and what they said they would do (ie deliver it).

Demand 100% back on this basis.

These companies need to be stopped with this 'we'll do what we want and you'll suffer unless insured' rubbish.

In no other service does this type of rubbish apply.

Edited by la bam
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Went down the wrong chute - bloody hell!

There must be warehouses and warehouses stuffed with undelivered parcels around the country as stuff so frequently goes missing. I ordered two winter tyres for the rear wheels of my XJ8 a couple of years ago through Camskill, delivered by (I think) DHL. Only one turned up, so I queried the missing tyre and was told that it was missing so Camskill sent another FOC. Weeks later, a delivery driver turned up with the 'missing' tyre stating that it had been mislaid at the depot and found during clearup, so it had been sent on to the customer as per the delivery label. I did wonder how something as obvious and large as a brand new tyre with labels on it could just be mislaid and not get redirected for delivery for weeks.

• Thanks 1

Thanks for your help folks, I'll keep the thread updated when there is progress.  I agree that generally we should be accountable for most things we do and great that they put their hands up to say what went wrong, I do hope they continue in this vein and refund if the pedal doesn't turn up.  If they don't refund, it may signal the end of ebay and distance sales for me, I might have to stick with the wonderful BassChat market place or the likes of Facebook (and put up with the time wasters). I'm not sure I'd be happy with the insurance as it seems dubious at best for instruments, and way too expensive.

I've not had good experience of parcel farce, I must admit, while they've not lost my parcel.

The usual claim 'we delivered/you were out' crap. Hmm I think not, there was someone in all day waiting for a parcel.

after a few phone calls the tracking suddenly changed, and they admitted they'd dropped it off at a local post office. Went to collect a vinyl record and the doddery person there was about to bend the vinyl just to get it through the counter hatch.   Never again, much prefer couriers theses days, but then I appreciate, nothing is without fault, but so far been OK.

• Thanks 1

They have quoted a price to you to deliver that parcel and by paying you have agreed to that contract.

If they then don't do what you've paid for in my eyes they are accountable and broken that contract.

This insurance farce is appalling.

• Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, Chris2112 said:

I did wonder how something as obvious and large as a brand new tyre with labels on it could just be mislaid and not get redirected for delivery for weeks.

Mate, a courier lost my Mesa 1516EV a few years back, it's the size of a small building. Never underestimate couriers :)

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

34 minutes ago, la bam said:

They have quoted a price to you to deliver that parcel and by paying you have agreed to that contract.

If they then don't do what you've paid for in my eyes they are accountable and broken that contract.

This insurance farce is appalling.

It may pay to read what the contract actually says, regardless of what you may think about it. I absolutely agree that they SHOULD accept liability, but it’s a legal contract and depends on wording. It’s transit cover and comes into play if an item is lost, stolen or damaged. The fact that they are saying it’s out of their hands doesn’t bode well; hopefully they’ll do the right thing. 

Its also worth pointing out that the OP paid Interparcel to deliver the goods, not Parcelforce.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Chris2112 said:

Went down the wrong chute - bloody hell!

There must be warehouses and warehouses stuffed with undelivered parcels around the country as stuff so frequently goes missing. I ordered two winter tyres for the rear wheels of my XJ8 a couple of years ago through Camskill, delivered by (I think) DHL. Only one turned up, so I queried the missing tyre and was told that it was missing so Camskill sent another FOC. Weeks later, a delivery driver turned up with the 'missing' tyre stating that it had been mislaid at the depot and found during clearup, so it had been sent on to the customer as per the delivery label. I did wonder how something as obvious and large as a brand new tyre with labels on it could just be mislaid and not get redirected for delivery for weeks.

This is so true. I used to drive for a member of the Pallex group a few years back and the guy who drove the night trunk vehicle told me that there was a warehouse full of goods that had "gone missing" ,was refused or wrongly labelled and ended up in there. I would imagine the parcel industry is the same.

I also worked as a driver for a large parcel company starting with the letter H. Having seen the way that they deal with your fragile parcels, I would never send anything with them. I lasted 4 days and told them where to stick their job with a large smile on my face.

Edited by jezzaboy
  • Haha 2

A few years ago, I shipped a bass with them (Parcel Farce). Paid the extra insurance value   which their site accepted. Bass went missing so I instigated a claim......whereby they told me that guitars were not insured by them over £100 of value. Their site was like that for MONTHS before it was made clear what their insurance position was. 

The buyer eventually got the bass in one piece. That was the last of ParcelPhuq.

Edited by NikNik
  • Like 1

On the subject further up about ebay collection points,  there have been incidences of non-ebay PayPal purchases being sent to ebay collection points. Paypal told me this and it appears it's being done by ebay  somehow.

The caveat is: check your delivery addresses and your recipient addresses.

41 minutes ago, Elfrasho said:

I've had a bass go missing through parcel force. It was getting sent to me. The seller never got his money back. Boxes the size of a bass don't disappear. They get thieved. 

The whole industry boils my fosters! 

Yep. Lost a Spain-bound 335 for weeks via PF around ten years back. I kept calling their international hub and was helped by a guy there who took all the deets again. A few days later he called me. They'd found it in a cage of items with barcodes missing. Think about that. The barcodes were printed anew and the buyer got his guitar.

24 minutes ago, FDC484950 said:

Also based on previous experience I would always buy full insurance for the goods as certain light-fingered staff know when something has basic cover and such items often mysteriously “vanish”!

Like those at 'Thiefrow' Airport!

• Sad 2

I sold 2 Moog pedals (now wish I hadn't).  Used I Post Parcels for both.  Insurance was only a few quid extra & both delivered without issue (Bass Murf went to Norway).  I've used them a few times since & would highly recommend them.

• Thanks 1