Why become a member? ×

Any short scale Marusczyk Elwood owners?

project_c

I know there are lots of happy Marusczyk owners here, wondering if anyone here owns a short scale Elwood. If so, are you happy with it and play it regularly? How long have you had it? Are they stable? How often do you have to adjust neck / string height etc? Any issues / problems? I'm thinking of a simple 30" short scale jazz style build, nothing fancy, just want a classic Fender-style jazz with narrower spacing, flatter radius and shorter neck than the real thing. I normally play stock USA and Japanese Fenders, so that's the kind of ballpark quality I'm after. Looks like this on the configurator (neck length is normal scale on the pic so ignore that). Debating the mono-rail bridge, not sure yet but not too fussed as long as the spacing is narrow and I can set the intonation without too much hassle. 

526190431_ElwoodC.thumb.png.3889394d8f605959ff5239d8f42e5929.png

I've got a Marusz Elwood shorty. Looks like the one in your pic although the headstock is matched to the body.

It really is an awesome bass. The fit and finish is excellent. Mine was shipped out with a high action - which they do as standard. But a modest turn of the truss road sorted it and it has a lovely low action now. The neck is a little thicker than I'd like - the width is fine but the stock model I have is very much in line with a precision rather than a jazz neck - although this is offset by the short scale neck.

A surprise positive for me was the stock Marusz pick ups which are awesome. I bought the bass thinking I'd upgrade the pups to a more boutique brand but I love them. I actually prefer the tone to that of the Nordstrand big singles on my Ibanez - which I'm also a fan of.

Although I use this bass every day, it was an experiment to see how I'd get on with short scales. As I'm now firmly in the short scale camp I have commissioned an ACG short scale and I will be moving my Marusz on in around four-five months time - should you want an Elwood shorty at a knock down price.

Just now, burno70 said:

30" scale Finn with jazz pups. It'll be a bit of plain Jane compared with most of Alan's other works. I'll add the details to the build diary forum once I've got photo's of the woods etc.

Apologies to the OP for the thread derailment there!

Wonderful, thank you!
And, yes apologies for the derailment, my bad...

Eude

2 hours ago, burno70 said:

I've got a Marusz Elwood shorty. Looks like the one in your pic although the headstock is matched to the body.

It really is an awesome bass. The fit and finish is excellent. Mine was shipped out with a high action - which they do as standard. But a modest turn of the truss road sorted it and it has a lovely low action now. The neck is a little thicker than I'd like - the width is fine but the stock model I have is very much in line with a precision rather than a jazz neck - although this is offset by the short scale neck.

A surprise positive for me was the stock Marusz pick ups which are awesome. I bought the bass thinking I'd upgrade the pups to a more boutique brand but I love them. I actually prefer the tone to that of the Nordstrand big singles on my Ibanez - which I'm also a fan of.

Although I use this bass every day, it was an experiment to see how I'd get on with short scales. As I'm now firmly in the short scale camp I have commissioned an ACG short scale and I will be moving my Marusz on in around four-five months time - should you want an Elwood shorty at a knock down price.

Thanks for the reply, was wondering about the pickups, I’m considering Duncans but was curious what his own brand were like. What string spacing and radius did you go for on the Elwood?