Jump to content
Ricky 4000

Reggae Bass?

Recommended Posts

On 14/06/2019 at 22:35, Reggaebass said:

they are without a doubt my personal favourite strings for reggae ,

You could say that's the one endorsement every string manufacturer dreads... "guaranteed harmonic free"...

  • Confused 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Errol Holt plays a I don't know what!!! What is that???  

Errol Holt has got to be the yardstick against whom all reggae bassmen should be measured.

image.png.b305b84c999bfcee3d96ea7a4d91c5da.png

 

although I did find this pic of him with a Hofner !!!! (or a clone)

image.png.b83140def310e264c03c8c32f5b19572.png

Edited by Twigman
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

this thread makes me wish I could still handle a doobie without getting paranoid but has reminded me of some choonz from the past

 

 

Edited by Twigman
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Reggaebass said:

I recognise those lyrics 😁

 

Aye - when I was googling pics of Flabba for the post a few up there ^^^ it sent me on a 80s nostalgia trip........I worked in a record shop for a few months in 1984 and Barrington Levy lived on the turntable.

Edited by Twigman
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Twigman said:

Barrington Levy lived on the turnatable.

Same for me, also  sly and Robbie and Gregory isaacs , I knew all the basslines because I listened to them all every day , to and from work, on my Sony walkman 😀

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Twigman said:

the yardstick against whom all reggae bassmen should be measured.

Surely a 36" long scale bass is the yardstick against which all bassmen (and basswomen) shoudl be measured? 🤣

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/10/2019 at 16:57, Twigman said:

I worked in a record shop for a few months in 1984 and Barrington Levy lived on the turntable.

I always thought he lived in a bungalow. :laugh1:

Edited by Ricky 4000
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, Twigman said:

Errol Holt plays a I don't know what!!! What is that???  

Errol Holt has got to be the yardstick against whom all reggae bassmen should be measured.

image.png.b305b84c999bfcee3d96ea7a4d91c5da.png

 

although I did find this pic of him with a Hofner !!!! (or a clone)

image.png.b83140def310e264c03c8c32f5b19572.png

Wow, surprising to see him using the mid priced Hofner contemporary rather than the more expensive German version 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/03/2019 at 12:59, Ricky 4000 said:

Is the J bass good for reggae? Well not for me it isn't. Playing with my thumb, around the sweet spot where it's not too deep but not too boney - the backs of my fingers / knuckles keep messing with the volume controls.

What are the secret reggae basses that most folks don't know about?

These should [probably] be certain models of fairly obscure yet inexpensive basses, with that special 'Kingston Mojo' that "we" done want the old and rich square people finding out about. Because they'll just buy them all up to play covers of UB40 covers [badly] in their beige painted drawing rooms. 😕

Haven’t read all the replies but you want flats and play up at the end of the neck, nowhere near the controls. If it works for Family Man, then it works.😉

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/10/2019 at 15:18, Twigman said:

Errol Holt plays a I don't know what!!! What is that???  

Errol Holt has got to be the yardstick against whom all reggae bassmen should be measured.

image.png.b305b84c999bfcee3d96ea7a4d91c5da.png

 

although I did find this pic of him with a Hofner !!!! (or a clone)

image.png.b83140def310e264c03c8c32f5b19572.png

I think i remember him saying he was given that bass ..

i think he'll play anything he's definitely not a gear snob

this is bass in pic 

https://www.joness.com/gr300/G-33.html

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/10/2019 at 16:51, Reggaebass said:

I recognise those lyrics 😁

 

Played that (in a mash up with Ganga smuggling) last night and tonight in 2 different bands - huge tune that always goes down well.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, chaypup said:

Played that (in a mash up with Ganga smuggling) last night and tonight in 2 different bands - huge tune that always goes down well.

Ganja smuggling is one of my favourite eek a mouse tunes , the Bassline just sits in the mix so good, and to mix it up with, here I come sounds great .

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Loving this thread.

Ok you Reggae experts - for the inexperienced numpty like me who loves the genre but has never persuaded his covers bands to do anything much in it (maybe that will change when we get a decent sub woofer 😁), who do you rate as your favourite reggae bassist(s) I should be checking out for inspiration?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

Loving this thread.

Ok you Reggae experts - for the inexperienced numpty like me who loves the genre but has never persuaded his covers bands to do anything much in it (maybe that will change when we get a decent sub woofer 😁), who do you rate as your favourite reggae bassist(s) I should be checking out for inspiration?

Hi Al ,there really is quite a lot out there but,    my personal favourite and who’s playing inspired me the most from a young age is Robbie Shakespeare (sly and Robbie), and also I don’t think you can beat  Aston Barrett for a truly superb reggae Bassline 🙂

 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Al Krow if you want to watch a few reggae vids  , Alain M , has some really good ones on his YouTube channel, he’s also the bass player in a Belgium reggae band called Asham 🙂

 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, Reggaebass said:

@Al Krow if you want to watch a few reggae vids  , Alain M , has some really good ones on his YouTube channel, he’s also the bass player in a Belgium reggae band called Asham 🙂

Cheers buddy, got it on YT right now (with mandatory headphones for that low end)...:) 

When are you guys next gigging in Landern? 

Edited by Al Krow
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/03/2019 at 17:54, Frank Blank said:

 I’m putting the Samsara video up (again) but only because I’m not sure what bass he’s playing..?

 

Oof, thanks for linking this, I am stuck listening to this EP on a loop.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, caitlin said:

Oof, thanks for linking this, I am stuck listening to this EP on a loop.

They are like that, irresistible, especially live.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This YouTube vid always puts a smile on my face. Devon Bradshaw giving some tips but the real treat is his drummer, lovely laid back feel and some killer fills. 

On the subject of the Hofner, my Club with LaBella flats is superb for reggae, well trad ska in my house but it's close enough. 😉

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Maude said:

real treat is his drummer,

That’s a great video,  and reggae drummer,  Donovan Miller is dropping some nice beats here too 🙂

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.



×
×
  • Create New...