Jump to content

Recommended Posts

21 minutes ago, Ricky 4000 said:

 

Nice, thanks Tim. I've learned that ^^^, and to be fair its sounding pretty good to my ears, using my R-4000 with flats. What a sweet little bassline that is. 😎

Found this one too, really nice tune, and fun to play along sympathetically on the electric bass. 👍

I'll get the J bass back out and persevere with it a bit more...

Great stuff ..its made me want to dig my acoustic out

Clinton Fearon and the Gladiators are superb

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, Teebs said:

What, the 'antelope porn' one? O.o

Ricky, you have to explain this! :lol:

Well, when a mummy and a daddy antelope love eachother very much... or actually, in these modern times, it could be two mummy antelopes... or... oh hold on, I think that's my phone ringing...

Ask your mother. 👍

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Ricky 4000 said:

Well, when a mummy and a daddy antelope love eachother very much... or actually, in these modern times, it could be two mummy antelopes... or... oh hold on, I think that's my phone ringing...

Ask your mother. 👍

:on_the_quiet:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So it’s no longer, is it good for metal? It’s now, is it good for reggae?

 

personally, I think it’s obviously all down to sound and attack. Playing with a pic near the bridge won’t give that authentic reggae tone. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎12‎/‎03‎/‎2019 at 12:59, Ricky 4000 said:

Is the J bass good for reggae? Well not for me it isn't. Playing with my thumb, around the sweet spot where it's not too deep but not too boney - the backs of my fingers / knuckles keep messing with the volume controls.

What are the secret reggae basses that most folks don't know about?

These should [probably] be certain models of fairly obscure yet inexpensive basses, with that special 'Kingston Mojo' that "we" done want the old and rich square people finding out about. Because they'll just buy them all up to play covers of UB40 covers [badly] in their beige painted drawing rooms. 😕

Jazz Bass.....jobs a gud'n

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Ricky 4000 I can highly recommend one of these for reggae, I picked it up during the week for a sensible price, it was already fitted with halfrounds , and has a really low action , it’s my first real go at a 5 string, and the low B drops a serious Bassline 🙂

B841B8D8-172F-4ADA-A7D2-B85327081199.jpeg

B0C3729C-BE68-4080-8CFF-B6147D0187B1.jpeg

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Reggaebass said:

@Ricky 4000 I can highly recommend one of these for reggae, I picked it up during the week for a sensible price, it was already fitted with halfrounds , and has a really low action , it’s my first real go at a 5 string, and the low B drops a serious Bassline 🙂

B841B8D8-172F-4ADA-A7D2-B85327081199.jpeg

B0C3729C-BE68-4080-8CFF-B6147D0187B1.jpeg

Nice bass RB! :)

That is pretty!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Teebs said:

Nice bass RB! :)

That is pretty!

Thanks teebs, it belonged to a 75 year old country bass player not far from me, who has had to give up playing due to health reasons it was his pride and joy, it plays so nice, he is also a fan of reggae and ska , totally inspiring gentleman  🙂

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, Reggaebass said:

Thanks teebs, it belonged to a 75 year old country bass player not far from me, who has had to give up playing due to health reasons it was his pride and joy, it plays so nice, he is also a fan of reggae and ska , totally inspiring gentleman  🙂

And the bass got a great new home! :)

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12 March 2019 at 17:54, Frank Blank said:

This reminds me of the great bass tone on early Public Image Ltd recordings, especially Metal Box, Jah Wobble with the Ovation Magnum Bass. Allegedly he played through an Ampeg rig that faced the wall of the studio and had a microphone behind. 

 

Agree with all the comments on this thread that it's probably more about strings and technique than core bass tone, but an Ovation Magnum is just fabulous for reggae / ska - I've never played another bass with such naturally massive low end whilst retaining complete clarity / articulation.   Currently using La Bella 750T White tapewounds on my fretless Magnum 1.

image.jpeg

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, Shaggy said:

Agree with all the comments on this thread that it's probably more about strings and technique than core bass tone, but an Ovation Magnum is just fabulous for reggae / ska - I've never played another bass with such naturally massive low end whilst retaining complete clarity / articulation.   Currently using La Bella 750T White tapewounds on my fretless Magnum 1.

image.jpeg

The Guv'nor

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 14/03/2019 at 18:06, Ricky 4000 said:

 

Nice, thanks Tim. I've learned that ^^^, and to be fair its sounding pretty good to my ears, using my R-4000 with flats. What a sweet little bassline that is. 😎

Found this one too, really nice tune, and fun to play along sympathetically on the electric bass. 👍

I'll get the J bass back out and persevere with it a bit more...

That's a very cool performance. Thanks for sharing.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I agree Wobble’s Ovation sounds good, but he only got that in the late 80s. He’s playing a Precision on the Public Image albums. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 31/03/2019 at 17:32, pineweasel said:

I agree Wobble’s Ovation sounds good, but he only got that in the late 80s. He’s playing a Precision on the Public Image albums. 

and in a strange coincidence: 

 

  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

@Frank Blank

Frank! Cancel that order for the Ovation Unobtanium Grand Magnus Magnum!!

It was a bloody P bass! You can get one of those for like, 60 quid. 👍

Edited by Ricky 4000
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Ricky 4000 said:

@Frank Blank

Frank! Cancel that order for the Ovation Unobtanium Grand Magnus Magnum!!

It was a bloody P bass! You can get one of those for like, 60 quid. 👍

Blimey, you live, you learn, should have just looked st this...

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Stub Mandrel said:

Didn't you just love it when R1 DJ's had to introduce music they hated 🙂

Absolutely...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
On ‎12‎/‎03‎/‎2019 at 13:07, chris_b said:

Aston Barrett was rather good on his Jazz basses and there is a Reggae player on here who plays Alembic basses.

There are no secrets I just get a good feel and forget the stereotypes.

I play alembic for reggae and ironically the one I use mostly is an all maple neck through Europa with humcancelling pickups. When I first had it I thought it was gonna be too twangy and bright for reggae. It is a twangy bass with lots of prominent mids also the bottom end is healthy end has so much clarity without sounding woolly. I am experimenting with using older strings that were on a previous bass for about a year to get a thicker sound and these have been on the bass now about a year and a  half and sounding good for reggae. I may try flats next time it's due a string change. But I think any decently setup bass can be used for reggae. Some of the really old reggae was don't on quite shabby instruments and I think that tone is part of the charm of that era.  I did try using my  P-style alembic bass for reggae but with LP filter based tone controls fully closed for a more bassy tone I started losing volume on the D and G strings moving up the neck compared to the E and A so I have a bit of tweaking to do with the pickup heights on that bass. It's absolutely fine with more treble in the mix.

Edited by jazzyvee
  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My first bass was a Westone Thunder 1A - produces a very deep bass tone, well suited for reggae. 

A couple of years ago you could pick one up for around £100, now it's hard to find one at three times the price. I'm still looking for a 11A or 111A with a broken headstock for a headless conversion - let me know if you break yours.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

*much time has passed*

Well, the good news is that I've found the sound I want:

Unfortunately, it ain't coming out of my J bass ... need some thicker strings ... gonna get me some tapeworms. 👍

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, Ricky 4000 said:

Unfortunately, it ain't coming out of my J bass ... need some thicker strings ... gonna get me some tapeworms. 👍

I think we’ve all been on the , string quest , I certainly have , and for me they are without a doubt my personal favourite strings for reggae , I’ve had a set of D addarios on my jazz for about 5 years and through my home practice LB30 and MB115  or the studio rig  , the tone is very similar to this🙂

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.



×
×
  • Create New...