Why become a member? ×

Reggae Bass?

Ricky 4000

• 2 weeks later...

Back to the subject of this thread, I've had the delight of learning the (incredibly not-difficult) One Love. Can't say I've got a perfect Family Man sound but I just used the neck pickup on a Jazz with the tone right down and even with roundwounds it sounds nice .

Edited by Stub Mandrel
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Stub Mandrel said:

Back to the subject of this thread, I've had the delight of learning the (incredibly not-difficult) One Love. Can't say I've got a perfect Family Man sound but I just used the neck pickup on a Jazz with the tone right down and even with roundwounds it sounds nice .

One love and one drop have to be my favourite Family man basslines, I also use a jazz with the tone rolled off and a bit of mid , great tunes ☝️

• Thanks 1

On 12/03/2019 at 13:56, Stub Mandrel said:

Funny, discussing my upcoming activities this morning my daughter said why not suggest a reggae song - everyone likes reggae and the basslines should be easy (she said that not me!)

It reminded me how many years ago I saw Steel Pulse; all the way through the bass player drove it along with solid, straightforward rhythmic lines.

Then a couple of songs from the end he got a solo and went right off the scale.

So don't underestimate reggae bass players!

if it was a good many years ago then it was most likely Alvin Ewen. He is an incredible musician and plays a lot more than reggae on bass. He used a Jaydee Custom for many years then Yamaha Nathan East basses. i did a gig playing guitar with him about 5 yrs ago doing Stevie wonder covers. Awesome player. The current bass player is another superb bass player and also a Brummie , Amlak Tafari 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Frank Blank said:

I used to be in the ‘reggae bass lines are easy, surely’ camp, until I tried playing some. It makes me realise how uptight my style of writing/playing is. I’m off to listen to LKJ.

Me too. Depping in a band with Jamaican drummers was a hugh learning curve. Then you realise you have to relearn everything you thought you knew. I loved it.

Edited by chris_b
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

I went to Negril back in '86 before all the Sandals-type places took over we got outa the plane in Montego Bay grabbed a taxi & headed toward our destination by the time we hit our first pit-stop for a Redstripe & tinkle we hooked up w/ our first bag of Ganja & proceeded to SLOW DOWN. The Island took over we got to the S. End of Negril found our boy friday picked out our dub tapes & high quality bud & I FELT THE MUSIC. We were there 10 days but the effect hasn't warn off. Reggae has to be FELT. I don't recommend any type of trendy chemical amusement aid but they all worked for me and I know going to Jamaica is expensive and dangerous as a field trip but to play Reggae you gotta BE IN THE TING.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, StickyDBRmf said:

I went to Negril back in '86 before all the Sandals-type places took over we got outa the plane in Montego Bay grabbed a taxi & headed toward our destination by the time we hit our first pit-stop for a Redstripe & tinkle we hooked up w/ our first bag of Ganja & proceeded to SLOW DOWN. The Island took over we got to the S. End of Negril found our boy friday picked out our dub tapes & high quality bud & I FELT THE MUSIC. We were there 10 days but the effect hasn't warn off. Reggae has to be FELT. I don't recommend any type of trendy chemical amusement aid but they all worked for me and I know going to Jamaica is expensive and dangerous as a field trip but to play Reggae you gotta BE IN THE TING.

Ah, nothing like real Lambsbread. The perfect ganja for reggae. Still have a few seeds. Maybe 20+ years old. They'd never germinate, but I keep them for memories' sake.

The Jazz Bass and Reggae. Was that the topic? If you accidently move the knobs put tape over them. (all real bass players know you don't need knobs) I have played Reggae with a Jazz, w/ a fretless P., w/ a Pedulla 5 string fretless P/J, and now with a 12 string Grand Stick Dual Bass Reciprocal. (that's for u cats that didn't read my introduction. DBR). Oh, and I also have a ESP LTD w/ active p.u.'s and a Hartke bass that only has the J p.u. working that I tore the frets outa the right way that I paid $30 US for (the P p.u. worked when I bought it but there were no strap buttons...that musta been the reason for the price), and an Ibanez 8 string that I took the frets out of the wrong way and I CAN PLAY REGGAE ON THOSE TOO. I said you don't need knobs on your axe someone here tell how to play with the flesh of your fingers...Oh bullocks I'm not trying to be a twit. Put your pick down and stroke the string with as much flesh as you can for "tone". Check out any upright players technique it'll work fr Reggae

• Thanks 1