Why become a member? ×

Reggae Bass?

Ricky 4000

• 2 months later...

Errol Holt plays a I don't know what!!! What is that???  

Errol Holt has got to be the yardstick against whom all reggae bassmen should be measured.

image.png.b305b84c999bfcee3d96ea7a4d91c5da.png

although I did find this pic of him with a Hofner !!!! (or a clone)

image.png.b83140def310e264c03c8c32f5b19572.png

Edited by Twigman
  • Like 2

11 minutes ago, Reggaebass said:

I recognise those lyrics 😁

Aye - when I was googling pics of Flabba for the post a few up there ^^^ it sent me on a 80s nostalgia trip........I worked in a record shop for a few months in 1984 and Barrington Levy lived on the turntable.

Edited by Twigman
  • Like 1

22 hours ago, Twigman said:

Errol Holt has got to be the yardstick against whom all reggae bassmen should be measured.

Wow, surprising to see him using the mid priced Hofner contemporary rather than the more expensive German version 

On 12/03/2019 at 12:59, Ricky 4000 said:

Is the J bass good for reggae? Well not for me it isn't. Playing with my thumb, around the sweet spot where it's not too deep but not too boney - the backs of my fingers / knuckles keep messing with the volume controls.

What are the secret reggae basses that most folks don't know about?

These should [probably] be certain models of fairly obscure yet inexpensive basses, with that special 'Kingston Mojo' that "we" done want the old and rich square people finding out about. Because they'll just buy them all up to play covers of UB40 covers [badly] in their beige painted drawing rooms. 😕

Haven’t read all the replies but you want flats and play up at the end of the neck, nowhere near the controls. If it works for Family Man, then it works.😉

• Like 3

On 11/10/2019 at 15:18, Twigman said:

I think i remember him saying he was given that bass ..

i think he'll play anything he's definitely not a gear snob

this is bass in pic 

https://www.joness.com/gr300/G-33.html

• Like 2

8 hours ago, chaypup said:

Played that (in a mash up with Ganga smuggling) last night and tonight in 2 different bands - huge tune that always goes down well.

Ganja smuggling is one of my favourite eek a mouse tunes , the Bassline just sits in the mix so good, and to mix it up with, here I come sounds great .

• Like 2

Loving this thread.

Ok you Reggae experts - for the inexperienced numpty like me who loves the genre but has never persuaded his covers bands to do anything much in it (maybe that will change when we get a decent sub woofer 😁), who do you rate as your favourite reggae bassist(s) I should be checking out for inspiration?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

Loving this thread.

Ok you Reggae experts - for the inexperienced numpty like me who loves the genre but has never persuaded his covers bands to do anything much in it (maybe that will change when we get a decent sub woofer 😁), who do you rate as your favourite reggae bassist(s) I should be checking out for inspiration?

Hi Al ,there really is quite a lot out there but,    my personal favourite and who’s playing inspired me the most from a young age is Robbie Shakespeare (sly and Robbie), and also I don’t think you can beat  Aston Barrett for a truly superb reggae Bassline 🙂

• Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, Reggaebass said:

@Al Krow if you want to watch a few reggae vids  , Alain M , has some really good ones on his YouTube channel, he’s also the bass player in a Belgium reggae band called Asham 🙂

Cheers buddy, got it on YT right now (with mandatory headphones for that low end)...:) 

When are you guys next gigging in Landern? 

Edited by Al Krow
  • Like 1

This YouTube vid always puts a smile on my face. Devon Bradshaw giving some tips but the real treat is his drummer, lovely laid back feel and some killer fills. 

On the subject of the Hofner, my Club with LaBella flats is superb for reggae, well trad ska in my house but it's close enough. 😉

• Like 4