Why become a member? ×

Sandberg California VM4 Soft aged vintage white **SOLD**
£850
S Wales

Bobby D

Bought on here a few months ago and an absolutely beautiful bass. I'll paste the description from the previous seller below because it's perfect:

It doesn't say California on the headstock instead it says "Custom Shop Instrument". From enquiries I made to Sandberg I believe this was a special bass built before Sandberg officially started making the California series. (Made around 2004-6 (I believe). 
I bought this on here in 2010 and have used it regularly since. It has a very reasonable weight of 9lbs 2oz and has terrific balance. When I originally bought this I really wanted a passive VS4 and I recently  bought one so I'm not really using this to it's full potential. A new model VM4 in this spec would cost around £1500.

I upgraded the old active circuit with a brand new Sandberg preamp as the old one did not have a passive treble control and I also upgraded to the newest style Sandberg bridge and string tree.
The finish is a really nice soft-aged white/cream. I don't think I added any further dings!

This bass now has a Sandberg P style rather than the original Delano as I tried a more recent VM4 and realised why Sandberg modified the design fairly quickly. I find the Sandberg P is less nasal sounding in the "reverse P" position. I kept the original Delano MM on as it sounds great. The aforementioned preamp is Sandberg's own 2-band with active/passive push/pull volume knob (made by Glockenklang for Sandberg)

The neck is 39mm at the zero fret, so a little wider than a Jazz but narrower than a typical Precision and has a fairly slim feel and plays very well. I believe that the body wood is Alder.

Selling due to the realisation that I just prefer passive basses. Too many options confuse my feeble mind!!!

Not in any rush on this and I'm definitely open to trades. I like roadworn and the 'lived life' look. Fender P's, Maruszczyk Jake, T Birds, Cataldos and Rics..(If i'm allowed to mention them here? Apologies if not)

Any questions just holler. It deffo looks a lot yellower/creamier in the flesh. Sandberg gig bag included.

IMG_8338.jpg

IMG_8339.jpg

IMG_8341.jpg

IMG_8340.jpg

IMG_8342.jpg

IMG_8343.jpg

IMG_8346.jpg

IMG_8348.jpg

Edited by Bobby D
Price drop
  • Like 1

Cheers mate. Lovely jazz you have!

Updated Trades:

Fender P's and J's American  & sig models like Flea, Adam Clayton, Dirnt etc

T'Birds

Other Ps and J's , Maruszczyk etc

I have no problem with roadworn,battered looking basses as long as they function!

Weird colours and reverse headstocks will always catch my eye.

And possible a 2 eq stingray. I know I know I know...but I've had a few rays and I can cope with the active 'tronics on those. Just...

Cash adjustment up can be done.

Cheers folks

• Like 1

I nearly bought it just so that I could swap out the black guard to put on my Roquefort blue one! Lol... if I didn’t have a VM already I’d be all over it at that price. Good luck with the sale, someone is going to be very lucky and very happy!

• Like 1

20 hours ago, DJ '65 said:

I nearly bought it just so that I could swap out the black guard to put on my Roquefort blue one! Lol... if I didn’t have a VM already I’d be all over it at that price. Good luck with the sale, someone is going to be very lucky and very happy!

I bet that blue would look the absolute biz against the cream!

• 3 weeks later...
On 20/03/2019 at 20:02, DJ '65 said:

I have a sandberg pickguard

• ped locked this topic