Why become a member? ×

Thoughts on Ashdown new RM series

sanbass

Thinking of buying the new Ashdown RM-410 EVO rootmaster 600 Watt but can't find a lot of info on the net regarding what it actually sounds like. It seems like you're getting a lot for not much money- it's £347 at my local PMT, and if I trade in my old amp I get £100 knocked off that already low price! What's more, it only weighs 21 Kg and delivers 600W in quite a small enclosure. Is there anybody that has/tried one and is it all too good to be true??

I had one, the 4ohm version. I really liked it and only decided to move it on and keep my ABM410 based on the (harder wearing) metal grille on the ABM and my OCD to have matching amp/cab. Truth be told I preferred the sound of the RM410, it was less low-end focused/tighter sounding, but this was in the rehearsal room, I never got round to using it at a gig so as to get a real objective view.

• 4 weeks later...
On 04/04/2019 at 20:16, Ashdown Engineering said:

Not possible to test one in your local PMT? Appreciate it won’t be at gig levels etc but it should give you the flavour... 

Also if you’re anywhere near our HQ in Essex and fancy a trip out you can blast one as loud as you want for as long as you like. 

This is an excellent offer!

Not possible to test one in your local PMT? Appreciate it won’t be at gig levels etc but it should give you the flavour... 

Also if you’re anywhere near our HQ in Essex and fancy a trip out you can blast one as loud as you want for as long as you like. 

Is that an open invitation? 😉 Think I need a holiday to check out that new surf green beasty. 

In relation to the topic, I love these amps, The RM heads and combos are fantastic little amps with a whole lot of versatility, a blank canvas for you to style how you like without being limited to a specific 'sound'. 

The cabs are nice and light too, at least to some of the gear I've lugged around in the past. Like the above, a blank canvas for you to stick any amp through and have a great cab that'll sound great and serve you well.

For me personally, I like the ABM line, solid cabs that are built to last year's of touring (slightly heavier though!) and cones I'd say rival Celestion speakers. I'm a fan of the vintage sound with my CTM100 and ABM 4X10, I'm thinking of getting a 1x15 ABM soon enough to complete my rig. 

do it, I have the RM500 EVO II. Fab head, Ashdown rocks

Thoroughly recommend the RM heads. I currently gig with an RM800 EVO, got it slightly used from a BC'er, been using it for about 18 months, never a hitch. I can get everything I need for every occasion from it, and it is far too loud! My backup amp is an RM420, but I have not had to use it for yonks, before that i used a Mag300.  If you can, jump at the chance to visit HQ! I am sure you will be delighted with the 410 combo, you cannot go far wrong with the offer you have.