Why become a member? ×

What external hard drive?

SH73

If this is the drive that you are recording your audio files to, you will ideally want to connect it to your computer by some other method than USB. If you must use USB make sure it's on a bus without too many other peripherals. And remember that if your computer is a laptop many of those USB peripherals will be built in like the keyboard, trackpad, web cam, WIFI, Bluetooth etc...

5 hours ago, BigRedX said:

If this is the drive that you are recording your audio files to, you will ideally want to connect it to your computer by some other method than USB. If you must use USB make sure it's on a bus without too many other peripherals. And remember that if your computer is a laptop many of those USB peripherals will be built in like the keyboard, trackpad, web cam, WIFI, Bluetooth etc...

I'm using a laptop. is there other way to connect an eternal hard drive?

I'm running four hard drives in total. I thought I would add my set up as an example of attempting to keep a resilient back up and save a bit of money* at the same time.

*which didn't really happen ha ha!

My Mac has an internal SSD. Everything I need daily or at speed is on the SSD. That would include all my recording software and current projects I am working on. I have an archive drive attached via USB3 (The USB3 bit doesn't really matter as USB3 is way faster than a standard spindle HDD anyway). This drive is where things get moved to when I don't need it quickly. It's not a "forget about" drive.  I then have a 'Time Machine' HDD also connected via USB and that automatically backs up both the SSD and the archive drive. Finally, one more drive, again non-SSD (at the moment) uses the Carbon Copy application to do a nightly clone of the internal SSD. What this means is that should the SSD fail, I can actually still boot my Mac from the cloned HDD. (I would do this rather than rebuild from the Time Machine back up if I was in a rush).  Yes it will boot more slowly, but it will save my backside in the short term, as I need my machine for work every day. Then as a belt and braces approach I I have cloud space where I sync some data for access across all of my work machines. 

Maybe a bit more detailed than some, but just some thoughts on a possible option for others. The USB drives don't need to be fast for what they do. They aren't expected to be streaming video or anything like that, but I have chosen 7200RPM drives over 5200RPM.

The SSD is mind blowingly fast at around 2300MB/s which is just crazy!

18 hours ago, Dood said:

I'm running four hard drives in total. I thought I would add my set up as an example of attempting to keep a resilient back up and save a bit of money* at the same time.

*which didn't really happen ha ha!

My Mac has an internal SSD. Everything I need daily or at speed is on the SSD. That would include all my recording software and current projects I am working on. I have an archive drive attached via USB3 (The USB3 bit doesn't really matter as USB3 is way faster than a standard spindle HDD anyway). This drive is where things get moved to when I don't need it quickly. It's not a "forget about" drive.  I then have a 'Time Machine' HDD also connected via USB and that automatically backs up both the SSD and the archive drive. Finally, one more drive, again non-SSD (at the moment) uses the Carbon Copy application to do a nightly clone of the internal SSD. What this means is that should the SSD fail, I can actually still boot my Mac from the cloned HDD. (I would do this rather than rebuild from the Time Machine back up if I was in a rush).  Yes it will boot more slowly, but it will save my backside in the short term, as I need my machine for work every day. Then as a belt and braces approach I I have cloud space where I sync some data for access across all of my work machines. 

Maybe a bit more detailed than some, but just some thoughts on a possible option for others. The USB drives don't need to be fast for what they do. They aren't expected to be streaming video or anything like that, but I have chosen 7200RPM drives over 5200RPM.

The SSD is mind blowingly fast at around 2300MB/s which is just crazy!

You're definitely backed up. Should I stick to operate my DAW  and stuff I need for recording from internal SSD and  back up my work on HDD.

I use laptop with SSD Samsung evo 250gb. I'm thinking connecting also 1xSSD and 1xHDD. SSD for fast access and HDD for archiving and back up.

I don't have massive files so I back up to various free cloud storage, Google Drive, Google Play, one drive, places like that, and every time you open up a new email address with google you get 15Gb of storage, this is just personal stuff like Documents, music, photos and video files

On 13/03/2019 at 08:49, PaulWarning said:

I don't have massive files so I back up to various free cloud storage, Google Drive, Google Play, one drive, places like that, and every time you open up a new email address with google you get 15Gb of storage, this is just personal stuff like Documents, music, photos and video files

I'm a bit dubious saving personal stuff on free cloud storage.

I have used external drives daily for saving graphic design files and I use HDD drives for long term storage and backups, but my day to day 1TB drive is a Samsung SSD and it is so quick and reliable compared to the various HDD drives I used to use daily but corrupted.

On 12/03/2019 at 20:05, SH73 said:

3xUSB

1XHDMI

1xHG DUO

1XSD

1xSATA

1 In the photo 

20190312_200225.jpg

Mac OS has a very handy utility that will show which devices are on which USB bus. If there is something similar in Widows I suggest you use it to find which USB ports are attached to which USB bus, and use the port(s) which aren't being shared by other devices.

Otherwise use SATA for your external hard drive.